Royal Mail and missed delivery

15 replies
Found 2nd Feb 2016
Hi,
I am going away tomorrow and I'll be away for about 20 days and I missed a delivery today (unlucky!). Anyway, I can't have this packet redelivered to a neighbour as I don't really speak to them etc. I am leaving tomorrow and I need to get on a flight in the early afternoon so I won't have time to pop into my local delivery office.

I know it's my fault for missing the delivery, so not angry at the postman at all. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea of when the postman (he tried to deliver at around half 11) will be taking the post he hasn't managed to deliver back to the delivery office, so I can go and collect the packet before the office shuts at 6.30pm. If this is possible at all, as I know normally I'd have to wait till the next working day.

I can always ask someone I know for a favour as far as the redelivery goes, but if I can sort it out myself, that would be better. I was also gonna ring the office before going to check my packet is there. Not gonna moan about it, since it was my fault.

Thanks in advance

15 Comments

you are leaving before it opens tomorrow? usually 5-6am here

The card you get always states to wait at least 24 hours from receipt of card before trying to collect the parcel or rearrange delivery. It can't hurt though to phone later and ask them if it's back in the sorting office and ready for collection. As the above person said though, can you not get up early and collect it about 7am tomorrow?

Just go about 4 o'clock today, it should be there

therealslimkaty

The card you get always states to wait at least 24 hours from receipt of … The card you get always states to wait at least 24 hours from receipt of card before trying to collect the parcel or rearrange delivery. It can't hurt though to phone later and ask them if it's back in the sorting office and ready for collection. As the above person said though, can you not get up early and collect it about 7am tomorrow?

Yeah it varies, best to pop round to the address on the card and ask.

Original Poster

Thanks. I'll phone and see f I can go today, otherwise I will try to get there by 7am, when it opens. Should be ok as I have a train after 9am so there should be enough time. I thought it opened at 8.30 or something but I checked and it's 7am.

anyone can collect just need the missed you card, your and their id.

mr_geese

Thanks. I'll phone and see f I can go today, otherwise I will try to get … Thanks. I'll phone and see f I can go today, otherwise I will try to get there by 7am, when it opens. Should be ok as I have a train after 9am so there should be enough time. I thought it opened at 8.30 or something but I checked and it's 7am.

Yes they all open really early, it suits them for customers to collect their parcels rather than for them to re-deliver. So it's in their best interests to open really early so people can go in before work.

I usually go the same day before royal mail close and the item is there to pickup

Original Poster

Thanks guys. Hopefully it's there today

mr_geese

Thanks guys. Hopefully it's there today

Just a word of warning since I am always in my local collection office as I post parcels there, I have often even seen people come the next day and the parcel is not there until late afternoon - so people are sent away in the morning to come back later.

I am not saying this will be the case but just thought i'd mention it in case it is a long way for you to travel.
Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Feb 2016

joshp

Just a word of warning since I am always in my local collection office … Just a word of warning since I am always in my local collection office (as I post parcels there), I have often even seen people come the next day and the parcel is not there until late afternoon. I am not saying this will be the case but just thought i'd mention in case its a long way for you.

depends on many vaiables now

will depend on size and type of parcel

a small signed for will not have been returned to the sorting office but put in the nearest post box and will be then collected with normal mail - then if the contents of the post box is not sent directly to your sorting office it can delay getting there via main sorting office. etc etc

if it is RMSD then it must be returned to sorting office but will go into a secure store and can only be accessed at certain times by certain people

you are most likely to get it when the office opens in the morning - just be prepared for a queue !

EliTom

if only it had been sent by Yodel
they would have lost it and saved you all this hassle

It would depend on whether it was the postman themselves or the parcel postman (or should that be postperson?) and how busy they are as to whether it gets back to the sorting office before end of day.
Generally speaking Tuesday is a light day (unless the postman is also delivering their mailshots (advertisement leaflets)) and if it's the postman's fixed route or somebody covering.
Being ex postie I would pop into collections about 4pm taking with me card, id and flight tickets then explaining to counter staff politely the predicament.
Yes there's potentially some inconsiderate Royal Mail employee who's had another bad day and just refuses to check/help but these are few.

Edited by: "philphil61" 2nd Feb 2016

Original Poster

It's a vinyl record, so not a big parcel. A small packet but too big to be pushed through the door. It wasn't signed for as he didn't check that box on the card.
I receive many records and it's normally the postman, not someone in a van that delivers them to me.

I've been to the sorting office before, it was never busy, maybe a couple of people in there and I went in there in the morning. Not as soon as they opened though. It was late morning. To get there I need to get a bus so not ideal, but as I said my fault!
Edited by: "mr_geese" 2nd Feb 2016

Original Poster

Update: I went there and the guy was very kind, but told me they get the post overnight so I can go and collect tomorrow morning
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247552
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983225
    3. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1115
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769183

See more discussions