Royal Mail and not bothering to deliver parcels

Found 25th Apr 2012
Any suggestions about this would be appreciated. First I need to explain that I live in an apartment on the 4th floor (84 steps in total). For the last 6months if not more, every package we order from anywhere (ebay, play, Amazon it doesn't matter) we end up with one of those cards saying it couldn't be delivered.

Today there has been yet another stupid card suggesting no one has been in for delivery. A good trick considering that I have not left the apartment other than to check the post box which is in the lobby for 2 days as my partner is ill. Additionally there is a phone in the lobby area that allows them to call up so we can head down to collect whatever it is.

In case you cant guess this is getting annoying as the calling a cards are supposed to be for if no one is home, but sadly the Royal Mail seem to just abuse them as a quick and easy way to not bother delivering items. What makes it even more annoying is that they don't try to even check if we are in as I would be more than happy to head down the stairs and pick whatever it is up, but they just dont even bother and simply fill the card out if I am in or not.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of what best to do?

30 Comments

Can you not contact your local sorting office and have a word?

Have you though about moving?

Original Poster

To add insult to injury I've also had mail magically disappear when it has been sent to me in recent years and also had items I've sent go missing and it doesnt seem to be a one off it seems to be a regular occurrence.

chuckiedoll

A word is just a few letters. Sorted? No problem.

Original Poster

realblender

Do the delivery companies really have to deliver to your door? 84 steps … Do the delivery companies really have to deliver to your door? 84 steps sounds unreasonable to me. I have no idea about the policy.

As I said the steps to the apartment are not an issue, ring up and if I am in I will walk all the way down and collect it. Additionally there is a lift in the building (albeit on the other side of the building to the post boxes). So it is nothing unreasonable, I am more than happy to walk down and get anything as required if I am in, it is the fact that they do not even attempt to check if anyone is in as it requires no real effort as the phone is just as likely if not more so than the front door of our apartment to be answered. As I explained above the post boxes are in the lobby and there is a telephone readily available to call up to any apartment in the building if needed.

On my list of things to do as this is getting to be a joke.

Have you though about moving?

Yes, my post is so important to me that moving home is my first consideration. I think that is going a bit too far.

Any problems just contact your sorting office and they will talk to the post man about it.

On my list of things to do as this is getting to be a joke.

This would be the first thing I'd do if it was happening to me.

Just be great full that your postman is not nicking your stuff, had loads undelivered then had a letter from RM telling me that my postie as been nicking everyones stuff for the last 9 weeks.Thay still investigating the matter.

Banned

timtom13

Just be great full that your postman is not nicking your stuff, had loads … Just be great full that your postman is not nicking your stuff, had loads undelivered then had a letter from RM telling me that my postie as been nicking everyones stuff for the last 9 weeks.Thay still investigating the matter.

Hope you get your dictionary soon X)

Original Poster

timtom13

Just be great full that your postman is not nicking your stuff, had loads … Just be great full that your postman is not nicking your stuff, had loads undelivered then had a letter from RM telling me that my postie as been nicking everyones stuff for the last 9 weeks.Thay still investigating the matter.

Been there, dont that, the main reason I will no longer be using RM for sending parcels where possible, sadly receiving them isn't as easy but at least coverage with a credit card helps.

realblender

Do the delivery companies really have to deliver to your door? 84 steps … Do the delivery companies really have to deliver to your door? 84 steps sounds unreasonable to me. I have no idea about the policy.

so on your list before "contact sorting office" you have "post in misc section on a shopping forum" and "wait for replies, reply myself"

Original Poster

dataload

so on your list before "contact sorting office" you have "post in misc … so on your list before "contact sorting office" you have "post in misc section on a shopping forum" and "wait for replies, reply myself"

Yes I think that I should just mouth off on here only! No I am looking for suggestions and recommendations from others who may have had similar issues. As you decided to post your frankly pointless comment before knowing that I cannot collect my item till tomorrow, so funny that I have to go pick the item that I might have decided that I'll complain when there in person rather than wasting time on the phone to someone who couldnt care less.
Edited by: "Astec123" 25th Apr 2012

could it be the postman for royal mail is in a wheelchair and thus doesnt fancy pulling himself up 84 steps with a sack

Original Poster

Havince

could it be the postman for royal mail is in a wheelchair and thus doesnt … could it be the postman for royal mail is in a wheelchair and thus doesnt fancy pulling himself up 84 steps with a sack

- The post box is in the buildings lobby on the ground floor
- The apartment is on the 4th floor
- A telephone connects the lobby to each apartment for deliveries, visitors etc and is simply a matter of hitting a button and typing in whatever apartment is required to be called.

Therefore all postman has to do is ring up and amazingly I come down. 0 effort for them, they can post whatever letters they are delivering at the same time and then they have one less parcel in the bag to lug around.

Astec123

- The post box is in the buildings lobby on the ground floor- The … - The post box is in the buildings lobby on the ground floor- The apartment is on the 4th floor- A telephone connects the lobby to each apartment for deliveries, visitors etc and is simply a matter of hitting a button and typing in whatever apartment is required to be called. Therefore all postman has to do is ring up and amazingly I come down. 0 effort for them, they can post whatever letters they are delivering at the same time and then they have one less parcel in the bag to lug around.

ok, well lets say he/sher is in a wheelchair. can they reach up and use the phone in the lobby ?

Original Poster

Havince

ok, well lets say he/sher is in a wheelchair. can they reach up and use … ok, well lets say he/sher is in a wheelchair. can they reach up and use the phone in the lobby ?

Yes it is a modern building built to the relevant standards.

or what if he can't move his right arm and is holding the parcel with his left hand, leaving no hands free to use said phone? this possibly makes him really sad, that and the fact he's in a wheelchair probably makes him want to just go home and cry

the sorry you were out cards are stored in a little pocket on his shoulder, so he just grabs one with his teeth and drops one and rolls out of the lobby with tears running down his face

and you want to complain about this person, really, shame on you

Why don't people simply do the obvious before creating a thread?

You could try something like this from Still Game....:D
Edited by: "gari189" 25th Apr 2012

Original Poster

I like, sadly they dont deliver to our door. But quite amusing.

Why dont you do the obvious before trolling? Yes complaining is going to be done, however other suggestions are what I am looking for, but obviously you couldnt help but boost your post count with a post that added nothing.

As has been surgested just contact your local sorting office and politely explain the issue. It may be that the postman/woman doesn't know that the phone can be used to call you down for delivery's. Might be worth putting some kind of notice on the wall to inform the postie of such if possible.

Unfortunatly asking for help on here is not the best idea as you've probably noticed as you'll get the usual lets wind up the OP comments group or the damn right abussive group. Shame but seems to be the way things work on here lately. Guess they are allowed to get away with so much as the site wants as many people as possible clicking the deal links :-(

Liquid-s

As has been surgested just contact your local sorting office and politely … As has been surgested just contact your local sorting office and politely explain the issue. It may be that the postman/woman doesn't know that the phone can be used to call you down for delivery's. Might be worth putting some kind of notice on the wall to inform the postie of such if possible.Unfortunatly asking for help on here is not the best idea as you've probably noticed as you'll get the usual lets wind up the OP comments group or the damn right abussive group. Shame but seems to be the way things work on here lately. Guess they are allowed to get away with so much as the site wants as many people as possible clicking the deal links :-(

what other suggestions are there?

- The post box is in the buildings lobby on the ground floor
- The apartment is on the 4th floor
- Royal mail don't want to leave your parcels

how do you expect any of us to solve this problem for you?

my suggestions are either speak to royal mail and find out why they wont leave your parcels or stop buying crap online

you know the saying, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer?

well lots of stupid questions are asked on here, so go figure

dataload

or what if he can't move his right arm and is holding the parcel with his … or what if he can't move his right arm and is holding the parcel with his left hand, leaving no hands free to use said phone? this possibly makes him really sad, that and the fact he's in a wheelchair probably makes him want to just go home and crythe sorry you were out cards are stored in a little pocket on his shoulder, so he just grabs one with his teeth and drops one and rolls out of the lobby with tears running down his faceand you want to complain about this person, really, shame on you

LMAO

Astec123

you know the saying, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer?well lots … you know the saying, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer?well lots of stupid questions are asked on here, so go figure

I understand that but it seems to be pushed to the extremes far to many times. If people think the OP is asking a stupid question would it not be better to just ignore the thread and leave them to it. Just seem's to be normal practise on here to try get a rise out of each other and I just don't see the need for it.

Hi Astec123, I agree with some of the others, contact your local sorting office or possibly write a complaint to Royal Mail; as this does seem like a major issue. If this happened to me I would be furious, so I understand your annoyance. And unfortunately there are some really stupid people on this website, so just ignore their rude, sarcastic or pointless comments.

Liquid-s

I understand that but it seems to be pushed to the extremes far to many … I understand that but it seems to be pushed to the extremes far to many times. If people think the OP is asking a stupid question would it not be better to just ignore the thread and leave them to it. Just seem's to be normal practise on here to try get a rise out of each other and I just don't see the need for it.

if we ignore these people they will never learn and keep asking stupid questions

Ridicule isn't going to help anyone learn anything imo. Anyway enough said on the subject i've made my opinion known and you yours so probably best to leave it at that.

Typical Brit. Always the moaner and never doing anything about it.

Yes, I am in a similar situation, so I sympathise. Written complaints are replied with automated template responses and they don't answer any phone calls. Going down to the actual depot doesn't help - they can just tell you that "they don't have the item" just to spite you - I have overheard staff talking when they think no one can hear them. I can only suggest sticking a polite note telling the postie what to do on your actual mailbox flap and also on the front door of your building. If they they can't see that, then I give up!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants