Royal Mail are changing the way they deliver parcels

Posted 17th Apr 2023
Update 2
Now live
Short but sweet, as I'm using my phone but I'll update/ tidy up tomorrow.

From 2 May 2023, if you're not home and your parcels won't fit through the letter box, or need a signature, posties will automatically redeliver the next working day.

Save time by not needing to visit a collection point
You can continue to arrange a redelivery on a more convenient day
Redelivery to your home address will remain a free service

Updated Redelivery process

1. First delivery attempt

If you're not in, we will leave you a 'Something for you' card informing you whether we've left your item with a neighbour, in a safe place or now we will inform you if we'll automatically redeliver your parcel the next working day.

You can choose to reschedule your delivery to a more convenient day

Please note that you will no longer be able to collect your parcel after the first delivery attempt, you can’t collect your parcel until after we’ve made the automatic redelivery attempt the next working day * (excl Sundays and Bank Holidays)

2. Second delivery attempt

If you’re not in, we will leave you a ‘Something for you’ card informing you how you can:

Reschedule your delivery to a more convenient day
You can reschedule to another day, can deliver to neighbour or safe place, deliver to local Post Office

3543174301681756275.jpg

What is automatic redelivery?

We will automatically redeliver all items the next working day (excluding Sundays, Bank Holidays). As usual, you can still request your item to be redelivered to the original address, a safe place, a neighbour, a nominated local address, or local Post Office via the Royal Mail app or at royalmail.com/red…ery.

Alternatively, you can come and collect your items after the second delivery attempt.

When will automatic redelivery begin?

National launch is on 2 May 2023.

Further information

Missed a delivery?There are four options for you to get the item you missed:

Arrange a free redelivery to your house.
Arrange a free redelivery to an alternative local address.
Arrange a free redelivery to a Post Office® and collect it from there.
Want your item as soon as possible? Then pick it up in person from your local delivery office - the address will be on the Something for you card

18 daysWe hold items for 18 calendar days before returning them to their sender, so any Redelivery date must be within 18 calendar days of the first delivery attempt.

48 working hours notice is required for a Redelivery. If you need the item earlier you can collect it from the address shown on the 'Something for you' card the next working day.

Exceptions

For security reasons, Special Delivery Guaranteed items and international items which require a signature cannot be redelivered to another address

4121827-qHRxC.jpg

Identification (ID)

To keep your mail as secure as possible, we require proof of identification to be shown when it is collected from a Royal Mail delivery office or a Post Office®.

Please ensure you take with you:

The Something for You Card or Fee to Pay card
AND one of the following in the name of the person the item is addressed to:
  • Credit or debit card.
  • Bank or building society cheque/savings book.
  • Valid Passport.
  • Driving Licence.
  • NHS Medical Card.
  • Photo Identity Card (Foreign National, Military, Police Warrant, Royal Mail Employee, NHS or senior citizen bus pass).

If you're collecting mail for someone else, please bring the card and one of the above items in the name of the person the item is addressed to.

If the above is not available in the name of the person the item is addressed to, the person collecting the item will need to bring:

The Something for you card or Fee to pay card
Photo ID of themselves (driving licence*, passport, foreign national ID, military ID card, police warrant card, Royal Mail employee card, NHS medical card or senior citizen bus pass)Proof they live at the specific address the card was delivered to (driving licence*, bank statement, television licence, utility bill or home insurance certificate)
* We will accept a photocard driving licence as both photo ID and proof of address.

Only original, recent documents will be accepted.

Collection from your local Post Office®
Before you visit the Post Office® to collect your item

• Check the proof of identification you'll need (see the identification section on this page).
  • Check the branch opening hours using our Services Near You

Frequently asked questions

Community Updates
Update 1
Fully updated
Misc
New Comment

64 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Better than Amazon.

Now they dump them on our doorstep if they dont get an answer.

Better than Evri they dump them on our doorstep if they dont get an answer

I seriously have had hundred pound items dumped where anyone walking by can rob.

That is why I stick with Royal Mail when sending & send them signed for or Special.

I do not know why people put down RM. They are still better than any other.
    Royal mail delivered this in front of a closed shop today.

I had asked them to deliver to my local post office.

50006598-xOGRf.jpg
    Would be handy if Royal Mail actually went to house developers/government and tried to get them to build parcel/post boxes on the front of new builds thus getting rid of letterboxes making the house slightly more energy efficient but hey what do I know I'm just a postman. (edited)
    They do. I don't have a letter box, nor do my neighbours, for that very reason, energy efficiency.
    this could end up being a nightmare for the posties
    most vans aren't fit for purpose now, never mind having some of the previous days parcels in, most are having around 45/60 mins outdoor work added and this change will further increase their indoor work, they don't just fill up the van in a morning, most parcels gets a scan before, and now after by the postie, this will add more work,
    then come next winter at 5pm when it's pitch black, can you imagine them sneaking round the back gardens to see if they can hide it, and what most don't realise is inside recycle box/dustbin or in between them isn't allowed as a safeplace
    this is purely a way to close/reduce csp's for further job cuts, these are mainly staffed by ex posties whose knees/backs are shot from years of toil and will be thrown on the scrap heap if they cannot walk 5/6 hrs per day now
    Shame that
    Once again RM overcomplicating processes rather than simplifying matters by making a first attempt and then throwing the parcel over a roof or leaving on doorstep to be stolen like all the other couriers.

In all seriousness though, postie is going to have a lot more parcels on the van when there is no need to be home to await for delivery when you simply know it will come the next day too rather than a 7 mile (for me) trip to post office.
    This system sucks! Your basically forced to wait an extra day if you happen to miss the first delivery. Worse still if it's a Friday or bank holiday.
    Royal mail need to set up local drop off points with business and lockers and whatever else is convenient....
    Our postman flat out refuses to ring my ring doorbell, Will knock the door quietly, look into the camera and then write the ticket and walk off without ringing the bell, drives me mental!
    if you are actually inside then you should know the postie is at the door before he gets there, i have one too,
    but if you are away and they do "ring" the ring then they will probably be asked by you to do something they are not supposed to do, i.e sign and post it or hide it somewhere not deemed safe under rm policy,
    then if something goes pear shaped who gets dismissed?
    we are dealing with a company that their 100% aim is to appease shareholders with total contempt held to its customers,recipients and workforce
    Totally agree - they have been steadily getting worse over the last year. I have no idea what is going on but it's beyond incompetent. They deliver on average 13 letters a month to the wrong address (I get around 40 every 3 months when the house owner returns - been this way for over 2 years now, despite numerous complaints)

I can't trust them to deliver parcels to me (due to many many going to the wrong house) and it's almost a weekly complaint now trying to recover parcels. CS don't care and log each complaint as if it's a one off.

My last 4 parcels I intercepted and asked them to be left at the collection office. Each time I get the confirmation email to say the instruction has been received and they will let me know when to collect. Each of these times the parcel was delivered to me (correctly for once). System or human - no idea - incompetent is not the word. I do all I can to avoid RM as a courier these days
    There must be a reason why the 2 addresses are easily confused. Isn't there something you and the other householder can do to clarify this?
    It's a way for Royal Mail to save money: they're planning to close collection offices.

It won't be good for posties: they'll have even more packets to carry and doors to knock at, with no more time given to them to complete their job. It doesn't really make sense: if there is nobody at home during the day on day 1, the chances are they are at work; as they probably will be on day 2...
    How can they be planning to close collection offices when the default is to send them to collection offices & post offices for collection?
    I'm already thinking about how to apologise to my customers who go to collect their parcel when they get a card.
    Why, it will be their fault if they know they are due a delivery or use other courier.
    Round my way they can't deliver properly 1st time around let alone 2nd time! A joke of a company nowadays! Lol.
    can't be worse than evri

for evri it is , i said NO to safe place, they ignore it and dump the item on my door step and call it a safe place

i can't even change the day it comes like you can with DPD (edited)
    Sorry for being thick, but what's the current process - card advising to collect from collection office after one failed delivery?
    Yep

But now they are doing a second automatic delivery attempt before you having to collect.

And people above are moaning!
    Just having something delivered and on time would be an improvement at the moment. Lost and opened parcels seems to be getting more common.
    Anonymous User
    I just ordered a sticker for the letterbox from Royal Mail to opt out of the scheme, I don't want my parcels going to my neighbour as he steals them! My postman also can't press doorbell, he also signed for a special delivery himself and 12.58pm (1pm target) then delivered it 2 hours later!
    Could they knock loudly?
's avatar
Top Merchants