Expired

Royal mail certificate of posting

Found 30th Apr 2013
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I have put in a missing parcel claim form for a package that never arrived (or was never signed for) sent second class recorded
I sent away printouts of the eBay listing page, PayPal transaction page and the receipt with tracking number on, today I got a letter from royal mail stating that I won't be getting the cost of my item back as I never got a certificate of posting and all I get is some stamps.
As you can imagine I'm pretty annoyed by this decision and just wondering if I can do anything about it.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
22 Comments
I thought you only got stamps, even if you had proof of posting? Did the value of the stamps cover the value of the item?
I had a package go missing (or not get signed for) sent to a customer on eBay, so I filled in a form, printed out the eBay item page and PayPal page, got the receipt with the tracking number on and sent it all of to royal mail.

I got a letter back from them today saying all I am getting back is some stamps because I didn't get a certificate of posting, as you can imagine I'm pretty annoyed by this and wondering if there is anything I can do about it
Johnboy_1975

I thought you only got stamps, even if you had proof of posting? Did the … I thought you only got stamps, even if you had proof of posting? Did the value of the stamps cover the value of the item?

no unfortunately it didn't, I assumed because they admit to not delivering it then they have to cover the cost of the item.
I've put in a claim few weeks ago, received my check about 4 weeks later.

You need to provide original proof of posting when making a claim.

I'm pretty sure you either claimed too much or haven't provided all the documents required. your fault then.

sorry for the double posts, this app doesn't work well does it?
BA11

I've put in a claim few weeks ago, received my check about 4 weeks … I've put in a claim few weeks ago, received my check about 4 weeks later.You need to provide original proof of posting when making a claim.I'm pretty sure you either claimed too much or haven't provided all the documents required. your fault then.

I did send the original receipt, I took a photo of it then sent it along with the other printouts, in the letter it states I need to supply the original certificate of posting, I never even heard of this till I got the letter.
jools19

I did send the original receipt, I took a photo of it then sent it along … I did send the original receipt, I took a photo of it then sent it along with the other printouts, in the letter it states I need to supply the original certificate of posting, I never even heard of this till I got the letter.

photo is NOT the same as original receipt.
BA11

photo is NOT the same as original receipt.

I took the photo for my records, I sent original one to them.
A receipt for buying stamps is not the same as proof of posting.
My post office always give you a receipt as proof of posting. This is usually all you need to make a claim as they dont seem to issue Certiciates anymore. Mainly because the receipt has everything on it. Did you use the right sort of postage for the item, if it was valueable you would need recorded / registered. Unfortunately you have no proof that the item did or didn't arrive. Are you the seller or the buyer. Usually sellers accept no liability once the item has been posted. This is incorrect procedure. Only the seller can provide RM with details req'd ie Where/When posted, method of posting and description of package. many make the buyer claim when it should be the Seller. If you are the seller fair play to you, anyone i have bought from asks the buyer to claim.

Write to complaints at royal mail. Hopefully you only sent a copy of your receipt. Good luck
IWOOTN

My post office always give you a receipt as proof of posting. This is … My post office always give you a receipt as proof of posting. This is usually all you need to make a claim as they dont seem to issue Certiciates anymore. Mainly because the receipt has everything on it. Did you use the right sort of postage for the item, if it was valueable you would need recorded / registered. Unfortunately you have no proof that the item did or didn't arrive. Are you the seller or the buyer. Usually sellers accept no liability once the item has been posted. This is incorrect procedure. Only the seller can provide RM with details req'd ie Where/When posted, method of posting and description of package. many make the buyer claim when it should be the Seller. If you are the seller fair play to you, anyone i have bought from asks the buyer to claim. Write to complaints at royal mail. Hopefully you only sent a copy of your receipt. Good luck

I was the sender, I sent it second class recorded, I bet they have not bothered to look for the receipt in the envelope I sent, I will follow this up, I figured that a certificate of posting was something other than the receipt with tracking details on.
this happened to me only stamps to value of the price of delivery...
Royal mail are a joke when it comes to claims from my experience
I have been told by my PO that the printed receipt with the barcode (tracking) number on it IS now the proof of posting. It should also have the postcode the item was sent to. Royal Mail Signed For items are covered against loss or damage up to the sum of £50 or the value of the item, whichever is lower.
May of missed this but I cannot see where you have included the proof of the cost of the item you sold.
On Ebay
I bought £31 k worth of items (1447of them) in the lot of 42 boxes tea chest size for total of £98 + £20 del, (that was great day and a one off). Some of the items worked out at 27 pence each to buy , resold each of those for £22.99 + p&p, on ebay so I could not claim for any going missing as bought 27p sold £26-- +
Royal mail know this so that is where you may have the issue..

Edited by: "Bumpydog" 30th Apr 2013
Lou Scotland

I have been told by my PO that the printed receipt with the barcode … I have been told by my PO that the printed receipt with the barcode (tracking) number on it IS now the proof of posting. It should also have the postcode the item was sent to. Royal Mail Signed For items are covered against loss or damage up to the sum of £50 or the value of the item, whichever is lower.

I always ask for proof of posting for my eBay parcels and I always get 2 pieces of paper. One is a receipt for the payment made and the other is proof of posting for the package. Depending on the service used, the counter staff either type in the recipient's address which is then printed on the proof of posting or they handwrite the postcode on the proof of posting.
Thanks for all yor input, I have sent an email to royal mail, and will write to them as well, I was thinking I didn't send everything I needed to, but if the receipt is proof of posting (or what they are referring to as certificate of posting), it is clear to me they missed this in the envelope, I sold my old camera so I will be expecting the selling price from them.
Bumpydog

May of missed this but I cannot see where you have included the proof of … May of missed this but I cannot see where you have included the proof of the cost of the item you sold.On Ebay I bought £31 k worth of items (1447of them) in the lot of 42 boxes tea chest size for total of £98 + £20 del,

Wow this does sounds like a good deal, could do with something like this myself.;)
two things to bear in mind here

Firstly yes you can still get a certificate of posting - but you normally have to ask and in many cases push for it. My local PO refuses to issue them!

Also - when they issue the receipt for posting the PO person should enter the delivery address post code - again many can't be ar$ed to enter it and just give a receipt for the value of the postage - again this is not acceptable in the case of a claim - although the PO counter staff will swear blind it is.

so my advice is this - use RM online postage to pay for and print your postage - even for signed for and special - then you have an option to print a certificate of posting that only has to be stamped and sign by the PO counter staff - for which they cannot refuse to do. Report them if they refuse.

Second point - is that for higher value claims RM will send a "declaration of loss" form to the recipient. If the recipient refuses to sign this or just forgets / CBA to return it them RM will not pay out. It's a very easy loophole for both RM and scammers.

hth

EliTom
jools19

I was the sender, I sent it second class recorded, I bet they have not … I was the sender, I sent it second class recorded, I bet they have not bothered to look for the receipt in the envelope I sent, I will follow this up, I figured that a certificate of posting was something other than the receipt with tracking details on.

Ifit was recorded delivery you should have proof, this happened my other half a while back. As you know you can track R/D on line. Onced you lodge a claim for non delivery ( I still think this is very decent of you as most sellers will cop out by saying obtain pop but not responsible etc) Anyway they will then contact the purchaser to see if they have received the item. Unfortunatley i know of cases where they can be bothered getting a signature, i have had items just put through the door without being signed on a few occasions. I think you are covered up to £50 max on r/d good luck
you should receive stamps to the value of the lost item or close to the value.
I escalated it yesterday and got a reply today saying they have sent out a check for the value of item and for postage as well, I win, shame I had to waste so much time emailing them about it. Cheers for the advice all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants