Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kong!

Edited by:"Speculator"Found 19th Sep 2017
Just had a very strange chat with Kelly Goldsmith of Royal Mail online chat.

Kelly: Hi, my name's Kelly Goldsmith. How can I help.

Me: Hello, I am sending some printed paper to Hong Kong. The books are in a plastic sleeve, is it okay to send it with a plastic sleeve. I will mark the package "printed paper".

Kelly: I am sorry when I have checked Hong Kong do not accept parcels containing paper.

Me: What do you mean Hong Kong don't accept paper?? I've sent books many times to Hong Kong.

Kelly: If you look on our web site and type Hong Kong into the search bar, it will come up with a list of prohibitions and restrictions and its says they do not accept paper.

Me: so that means I am not allowed to send a letter to Hong Kong?

Kelly: That's what they have advised us.

Me: thanks, bye bye.

Kelly: Sorry about that.

Kelly Goldsmith!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

mutley19 m ago

Lol, that is weird. Reminds me when I was in Sainsbury's a few months ago, …Lol, that is weird. Reminds me when I was in Sainsbury's a few months ago, and this bloke had 5 lettuces and he was told that each customer can only buy 3 as there is a limit on the number of lettuces you can have. I had to laugh. Lettuce rationing? Whatever next? Loo roll raining?????

They start with lettuces but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

spoo14 m ago

Lettuce stop taking the peas

Speculator14 m ago

I will speak to hong kong post about these restrictions tomorrow.

Send them a stern letter.

splender2 m ago

Read my long comment just above.

If I'm struggling to sleep I'll give it a shot.
67 Comments

Says that on their website too royalmail.com/hon…ong

Prohibited items
Prohibited products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances.

• Paper and paperboard; articles of paper pulp, of paper or of paperboard
  • Any imitation of any envelope, wrapper, card, form or document issued by any postal authority.
  • Printed books, newspapers, pictures and other products of the printing industry; manuscripts, typescripts and plans

Original Poster

Just phoned them and they confirmed that I can't send anything containing paper to Hong Kong!

Can't even use a stamp because it's made from paper.

This is very bizarre!
Edited by: "Speculator" 19th Sep 2017

Speculator3 m ago

Just phoned them and they confirmed that I can't send anything containing …Just phoned them and they confirmed that I can't send anything containing paper to Hong Kong!

Any news about Kong Kong?

Speculator3 m ago

Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Kong …Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Kong Kong!

Saturn1 m ago

Any news about Kong Kong?

It was obviously a typo. He clearly meant King Kong.

King Kong can't read.

Original Poster

Speculator12 m ago

Make sure you give Johnny Foreigner a jolly good piece of your mind.

Speculator14 m ago

CoeK6 m ago

....written on papyrus

CoeK27 m ago

on bamboo scroll...

CoeK46 m ago

It was obviously a typo. He clearly meant King Kong.King Kong can't read.

or post many deals like yourself

Graham19792 m ago

or post many deals like yourself

I'm only here to take advantage of the deals posted. Why bark when you have a dog.

I've just checked to see if it's a generic list but it isn't. Apparently, you can send even less to France. Very odd.

How odd! But you CAN send them bees, leeches, silkworms and flies of the family Drosophilidae. Do you have any of those?

Does it say anything about sending them democracy?

Destard2 m ago

Does it say anything about sending them democracy?

That doesn't arrive in the mail, that hitches a lift on a big bomb.

Original Poster

I am going to try DPD via Parcel Monkey. Price is about the same as Royal Mail.

Speculator4 m ago

I am going to try DPD via Parcel Monkey. Price is about the same as Royal …I am going to try DPD via Parcel Monkey. Price is about the same as Royal Mail.

Rebel.

SJHan24 m ago

I've just checked to see if it's a generic list but it isn't. Apparently, …I've just checked to see if it's a generic list but it isn't. Apparently, you can send even less to France. Very odd.

I agree, this is complete phooey. What is needed is one super guy who can sort this out quicker than the human eye.

32030091-piLza.jpg

Lol, that is weird. Reminds me when I was in Sainsbury's a few months ago, and this bloke had 5 lettuces and he was told that each customer can only buy 3 as there is a limit on the number of lettuces you can have. I had to laugh. Lettuce rationing? Whatever next? Loo roll raining?????

mutley12 m ago

Lol, that is weird. Reminds me when I was in Sainsbury's a few months ago, …Lol, that is weird. Reminds me when I was in Sainsbury's a few months ago, and this bloke had 5 lettuces and he was told that each customer can only buy 3 as there is a limit on the number of lettuces you can have. I had to laugh. Lettuce rationing? Whatever next? Loo roll raining?????

It is so that you can't take a lettuce overdose.

mutley19 m ago

spoo2 m ago

That is one little gem of a line.

spoo14 m ago

32030439-7JRU7.jpg

summerof7610 m ago

The rationing will no doubt be blamed on Brexit by the Romainers.

mutley12 h, 32 m ago

How did you make that comparison?

DT891 h, 51 m ago

How did you make that comparison?

Sending paper to Hong Kong and buying lettuce is practically the same thing. Do keep up.

Speculator4 h, 57 m ago

I am going to try DPD via Parcel Monkey. Price is about the same as Royal …I am going to try DPD via Parcel Monkey. Price is about the same as Royal Mail.

Please keep us updated, sounds exciting.

OP, I have no experience of the exactness of this prohibition BUT this "prohibition" is so absurd so I am sticking my neck out to take this risk, as I have considered whether total stupidity is a possibility, and this could back fire on me. Whether or not this stuopidity only affect the British management.

Therefore I did two things to check if this could be total stupidity (which may even include me as one should assume British management should be right)!

Method A, checked with our neighbouring country's post office, wherther they have the same prohibition, say here, laposte.fr/ent…pdf

One page 155, this says, " Principaux objets interdits : Billets de loterie, celluloïd. Dispositions générales pages 48 et 49." And then pages 48, 49 prohibit the usual stuff but not those ones stated on the Royal Mail web site. If the French management does not prohibit, then one questions why the British management does.

Method B
which is from the horse's mouth, the Royal Mail using this royalmail.com/hon…ong
and then this upu.int/upl…pdf
On page 7 of this , read carefully on how the document formatting works in Sections, Chaptersupu.int/upl…pdf

For Chapter 48 "Paper and paperboard; articles of paper pulp, of paper or of paperboad" which is a Chapter heading, the prohibited items are specfically the ones listed in 48.17, which are :
Any imitation of any envelope, wrapper, card, form or documentissued by any postal authority

For Chapter 49 "Printed books, newspapers, pictures and other products of the printing industry; manuscripts,typescripts and plans, " the proihibited ones are the ones in 49.01-49.11 which are:
All articles of a seditious nature; lottery tickets and documents relating to lotteries; betting advertisements if relating to an illegal business; fortune-telling advertisements; moneylenders' circulars, if sent unsolicited; anyarticles of an obscene, immoral,indecent, offensive or libellous nature; any articles bearing any imitation of any words, letters or marks used by any postal authority;articles infringing trademark or copyright laws; articles bearing any imitation or representation of any postage stamp.

A moronic manager or moronic management of staff and of information content would use only the headings in the chapters when the prohibition is for specific items under the headings.
Edited by: "splender" 19th Sep 2017

sent a contract 5 a4 sheets in envelope via dhl last week no problem to wanchai in hong kong h.k.s.a.r.

cdm228 h, 45 m ago

Says that on their website too …Says that on their website too http://www.royalmail.com/hong-kong Prohibited items Prohibited products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances. Paper and paperboard; articles of paper pulp, of paper or of paperboard Any imitation of any envelope, wrapper, card, form or document issued by any postal authority. Printed books, newspapers, pictures and other products of the printing industry; manuscripts, typescripts and plans

Refer to my long comment just above.

Spookirules7 h, 8 m ago

How odd! But you CAN send them bees, leeches, silkworms and flies of the …How odd! But you CAN send them bees, leeches, silkworms and flies of the family Drosophilidae. Do you have any of those?

Spookirules7 h, 8 m ago

How odd! But you CAN send them bees, leeches, silkworms and flies of the …How odd! But you CAN send them bees, leeches, silkworms and flies of the family Drosophilidae. Do you have any of those?

davewave2 h, 1 m ago

Please keep us updated, sounds exciting.

splender2 m ago

If I'm struggling to sleep I'll give it a shot.

spoo6 h, 45 m ago

Lett'us pray for their managerial incompetence for Helpdesk staffing and training, management sign-off for web site information content, and on-line helpdesk information tool which supply information to their helpdesk staff as they sit to field questions from customers online.

SJHan6 h, 50 m ago

[Image]

Is this Royal Mail main Twitter account with the best well paid intelligent person/team, what a brainless reply with no common sense and understanding of the world. This scenario is so absurd, not being able to send paper for a postal service is so elementary stupid, whoever replied did not see this absurdity of information in their own Royal Mail organisation and then fobs off customer to ask Hong Kong?! They are paid £250,000 salaries to do it and we solved it for £0 here in MISC.

Very similar to the "type" of management that specifies cladding, so iconic ?!

Original Poster

Looks like Hong Kong is not the only country affected.

Ireland also prohibits "Printed books, newspapers, pictures and other products of the printing industry; manuscripts, typescripts and plans"

Here's Royal Mails twitter reply to me.

"I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Further info can be found here - ms.spr.ly/601…m2E ^AL"

Original Poster

splender2 h, 2 m ago

Is this Royal Mail main Twitter account with the best well paid …Is this Royal Mail main Twitter account with the best well paid intelligent person/team, what a brainless reply with no common sense and understanding of the world. This scenario is so absurd, not being able to send paper for a postal service is so elementary stupid, whoever replied did not see this absurdity of information in their own Royal Mail organisation and then fobs off customer to ask Hong Kong?! They are paid £250,000 salaries to do it and we solved it for £0 here in MISC.Very similar to the "type" of management that specifies cladding, so iconic ?!

Thanks for solving it.

Under USA for example, the following are titles and not what is prohibited. Royal Mail have really messed up and their customer service/Twitter staff are useless.

royalmail.com/uni…ica

32035399-jQxtP.jpg
Edited by: "Speculator" 19th Sep 2017

Speculator27 m ago

Looks like you're right.Under USA for example, the following are titles …Looks like you're right.Under USA for example, the following are titles and not what is prohibited. Royal Mail have really messed up and their customer service/Twitter staff are useless.http://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america[Image]

We have in British management a lot of Grenfell iconic style of managers, to be wrong is to be human, but no process and quality control for a daft management information is very ill indeed, how many points of contact places at the Royal Mail did you contact?! Each point of contact that you sought correct information has a departmental manager, well qualified and paid a decent salary and an outstanding CV, right?!

Keep quiet for the moment, get a few of your friends to contact the Royal Mail, to test if they got the same experience as you, whether any managers actually use common sense, like me, to use a few simple childish questioning (mum) techniques to verify clearly absurd logic and statement. How long have they been telling customers sending mail to HK?!

Original Poster

splender13 m ago

Irish management isn't any better, are they, they have the same iconic …Irish management isn't any better, are they, they have the same iconic Grenfell style of managers for their products and services. This is one classic factor of poor British productivity.

No, I meant on the RM website. RM has repeated the same mistake for other countries.

I contacted RM via web chat, Twitter and 0345 number and they all said I can't post any paper items to Hong Kong. The chap on the helpline even said I can't send a Postcard or use envelopes!

I was going to post the books to HK regardless. I was sure the counter staff are more sensible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions