Royal Mail Compensation Situation

Found 18th Sep 2009
Here's the situation:

I sold Resi 5 on 360 on HUKD to another member. After a very long time, they told me it had not arrived.

I sent off the appropriate claim form to the Royal Mail and a few weeks ago they sent back a letter telling me that there was nothing they could do and sent a book of 1st class stamps.

What happens next? The buyer obviously wants a refund, but then I'm unfairly out of £16.
The buyer has also had to make other claims to the Royal Mail in the last few weeks also. Could this be a problem with his address?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

54 Comments

Banned

was it sent recorded?

If you sent it recorded/special delivery, and it was never delivered, then that's grounds for compensation.
Please tell me you insured it??

yvonne1174;6325494

was it sent recorded?

Babbabooey;6325501

If you sent it special delivery, and it was never delivered, then that's … If you sent it special delivery, and it was never delivered, then that's grounds for compensation.Please tell me you insured it??

+1 - if you sent registered/signed for, then you may have a case. If not, your screwed. lucky it get a book of stamps tbh.

for the xtra 72p it costs to register it, its always worth doing. Yes, you may get away with normal 1st class delivery now and again, but 9 times outta 10, you dont

Did you send a proof of value when putting in your claim? If not that might be why you only received a book of stamps, as Royal Mail have no idea of how much the item is worth unless shown.

If it hasn't arrived with the buyer you need to refund them.... it's not their fault it never arrived.

If you've made a claim, and other people have about the buyers address, Royal Mail should investigate this as a matter of course.

yvonne1174;6325494

was it sent recorded?

Babbabooey;6325501

If you sent it recorded/special delivery, and it was never delivered, … If you sent it recorded/special delivery, and it was never delivered, then that's grounds for compensation.Please tell me you insured it??

Disco;6325508

+1 - if you sent registered/signed for, then you may have a case. If … +1 - if you sent registered/signed for, then you may have a case. If not, your screwed. lucky it get a book of stamps tbh. for the xtra 72p it costs to register it, its always worth doing. Yes, you may get away with normal 1st class delivery now and again, but 9 times outta 10, you dont

You can still get a cheque as compensation for standard (non-recorded) post.... you have to provide proof of the value of the item though :thumbsup:

midlandscomics;6325518

You can still get a cheque as compensation for standard (non-recorded) … You can still get a cheque as compensation for standard (non-recorded) post.... you have to provide proof of the value of the item though :thumbsup:

How do they know you even sent something though? Can't everyone just make a claim for missing post if that was the case?

non recorded = book of 6 stamps

recorded = £36 max + original postage refunded

i have claimed plenty of times, and have had these outcomes for both situations

Babbabooey;6325525

How do they know you even sent something though? Can't everyone just make … How do they know you even sent something though? Can't everyone just make a claim for missing post if that was the case?

Oh yeah, forgot to say.... you need proof of postage too :-D

khy86;6325533

non recorded = book of 6 stampsrecorded = £36 max + original postage … non recorded = book of 6 stampsrecorded = £36 max + original postage refundedi have claimed plenty of times, and have had these outcomes for both situations

I've had to put a couple of claims in for non-recorded items before, and both times they've issued cheques for the full value + postage.

It's £39 limit now for 1st class (as it's 100x the value of a 1st class stamp) :thumbsup:

midlandscomics;6325518

You can still get a cheque as compensation for standard (non-recorded) … You can still get a cheque as compensation for standard (non-recorded) post.... you have to provide proof of the value of the item though :thumbsup:

but how are you going to do that if the item is *ahem* missing? with signed for/registered you tell the PO the amount it is worth any pay the relevant postage.

midlandscomics;6325515

Did you send a proof of value when putting in your claim? If not that … Did you send a proof of value when putting in your claim? If not that might be why you only received a book of stamps, as Royal Mail have no idea of how much the item is worth unless shown.If it hasn't arrived with the buyer you need to refund them.... it's not their fault it never arrived.If you've made a claim, and other people have about the buyers address, Royal Mail should investigate this as a matter of course.

I agree with the above ^^^

Disco;6325508

+1 - if you sent registered/signed for, then you may have a case. If … +1 - if you sent registered/signed for, then you may have a case. If not, your screwed. lucky it get a book of stamps tbh. for the xtra 72p it costs to register it, its always worth doing. Yes, you may get away with normal 1st class delivery now and again, but 9 times outta 10, you dont

Recorded or registered is more a proof of posting rather than a proof of delivery, i have had many letters posted with an orange recorded sticker on without anyone signing anything. Special Delivery is guaranteed delivery before 1 pm next day and always requires a signature, and is also insured up to the value of £500 but you can insure for more if you pay extra.

Disco;6325535

but how are you going to do that if the item is *ahem* missing? with … but how are you going to do that if the item is *ahem* missing? with signed for/registered you tell the PO the amount it is worth any pay the relevant postage.

I sold a boxset on here that went missing, and buyer only wanted regular 1st class. I sent a print out of said item (showing price) from the HMV website, and also a printout of the Paypal email.

I think more things seem to go "missing" that are sold on HUKD for some reason:whistling:

I've bought hundreds of items on Ebay that are sent 1st/2nd class and i've never had one go astray.

queenlush;6325554

Recorded or registered is more a proof of posting rather than a proof of … Recorded or registered is more a proof of posting rather than a proof of delivery, i have had many letters posted with an orange recorded sticker on without anyone signing anything. Special Delivery is guaranteed delivery before 1 pm next day and always requires a signature, and is also insured up to the value of £500 but you can insure for more if you pay extra.

Sorry but this is incorrect. Registered Post (Special Delivery as it is now called) , like Recorded/Signed for is mainly to prove delivery and not proof of posting. Proof of posting is free upon request and is would be pointless for someone to pay for recorded or Special if all they needed was proof of posting.

To the OP - I would imagine that if your buyer has had to make several claims of not-receipt then I would suspect that he is 'trying it on' rather than their being a problem with his address.

LJM;6325736

Sorry but this is incorrect. Registered Post (Special Delivery as it is … Sorry but this is incorrect. Registered Post (Special Delivery as it is now called) , like Recorded/Signed for is mainly to prove delivery and not proof of posting. Proof of posting is free upon request and is would be pointless for someone to pay for recorded or Special if all they needed was proof of posting.To the OP - I would imagine that if your buyer has had to make several claims of not-receipt then I would suspect that he is 'trying it on' rather than their being a problem with his address.

-----------
This guys right - YOU DO NOT NEED RECORDED DELIVERY
As long as you have a receipt when you posted the item, that and proof of how much the item was bought off you for, they have to refund at least the amount the item was sold for

I've been selling on the bay for years and never had anything go missing till about 2 months ao and now 3 items have gone missing in that timeframe! Royal FAIL!! But yes they will refund you full amount you sold for - show paypal invoice + postage

It's 100 x first class actually - and no it doesn't have to be recorded. I always get a certificate of posting for free at the Post Office.

Proof of postage + proof of value should get you upto £36. No need for recorded post:thumbsup:

If they send you stamps, write back to them with the above proof, they'll send you cheque. Been there done that.:)

Royal Mail / Post office suck @r$e. They have no intention of paying any compensation to anyone legit if they can help it. I sent some tickets next day special delivery insured. They never arrived. the post office claimed that they were refused at the address however I know this is untrue. Weather the postie lied cos he couldnt be botherd i dont know but basicaly gave me the finger when i applied for compensation. and they want me to support them in there strikes. ha. Worthless, the lot of them.

lufc_ginge;6326469

Royal Mail / Post office suck @r$e. They have no intention of paying any … Royal Mail / Post office suck @r$e. They have no intention of paying any compensation to anyone legit if they can help it. I sent some tickets next day special delivery insured. They never arrived. the post office claimed that they were refused at the address however I know this is untrue. Weather the postie lied cos he couldnt be botherd i dont know but basicaly gave me the finger when i applied for compensation. and they want me to support them in there strikes. ha. Worthless, the lot of them.

Did you put a return (i.e. your) address on the envelope?

If you sent Special Delivery and they were refused at the address, they would have been returned to you.

In regards to the item.

Full refund would be unfortunate but the right thing to do. As it looks like you didn't ask for proof of postage.

grimlocksbrain;6325813

-----------This guys right - YOU DO NOT NEED RECORDED DELIVERYAs long as … -----------This guys right - YOU DO NOT NEED RECORDED DELIVERYAs long as you have a receipt when you posted the item, that and proof of how much the item was bought off you for, they have to refund at least the amount the item was sold for

First person to get this right in this thread from what I can see.

Standard 1st class mail + Recorded mail = Exactly the same level of compensation.

Benjimoron;6326546

First person to get this right in this thread from what I can … First person to get this right in this thread from what I can see.Standard 1st class mail + Recorded mail = Exactly the same level of compensation.

As long as you have a proof of postage for standard 1st class mail :thumbsup:

Banned

deb8z;6325576

I think more things seem to go "missing" that are sold on HUKD for some … I think more things seem to go "missing" that are sold on HUKD for some reason:whistling:I've bought hundreds of items on Ebay that are sent 1st/2nd class and i've never had one go astray.

I've sold thousands of items on eBay worldwide and I've never had an item that's completely gone missing, I even had a record returned from Denmark 6 weeks later with just my house number and postcode as a return address.

When people write and say they have not had things delivered 90% of the time it's at the sorting office and 10% of the time they are trying to pull a fast one.

TIP: Whenever I sell an item my terms include that I will get a proof of purchase, should an item go missing I would be happy to forward that proof of purchase to the buyer, who then is able to make a claim on their own behalf.

Never had to do that. 14,000 worldwide eBay transactions and not once have I done that.

Nina Greaves UK;6326619

I've sold thousands of items on eBay worldwide and I've never had an item … I've sold thousands of items on eBay worldwide and I've never had an item that's completely gone missing, I even had a record returned from Denmark 6 weeks later with just my house number and postcode as a return address.When people write and say they have not had things delivered 90% of the time it's at the sorting office and 10% of the time they are trying to pull a fast one.TIP: [COLOR="Red"]Whenever I sell an item my terms include that I will get a proof of purchase, should an item go missing I would be happy to forward that proof of purchase to the buyer, who then is able to make a claim on their own behalf.[/COLOR]Never had to do that. 14,000 worldwide eBay transactions and not once have I done that.

But it's the responsibility of the seller to make sure that it arrives safely, not the buyer. This would include making a claim for compensation. If they've paid you by Paypal and it doesn't arrive, all they need to do is open a dispute with Paypal to get a full refund from you as you wouldn't have proof of delivery.

midlandscomics;6326642

But it's the responsibility of the seller to make sure that it arrives … But it's the responsibility of the seller to make sure that it arrives safely, not the buyer. This would include making a claim for compensation. If they've paid you by Paypal and it doesn't arrive, all they need to do is open a dispute with Paypal to get a full refund from you as you wouldn't have proof of delivery.

Not sure the second bit makes sense mid.

You mean if she sent the proof on? Say they claim that got lost. I agree with the first part its the sellers responsibility. Say HMV lost your parcel and they sent you the claim forms. I would be peeved.

Adam2050;6326674

Not sure the second bit makes sense mid.You mean if she sent the proof … Not sure the second bit makes sense mid.You mean if she sent the proof on? Say they claim that got lost. I agree with the first part its the sellers responsibility. Say HMV lost your parcel and they sent you the claim forms. I would be peeved.

Well either way tbh. She said that when she sells something she only posts with proof of postage, which she'll then pass on to the buyer to make a claim in the event of loss/damage (of the ebay item....not the P.O.P.).

All I was saying is that it shouldn't be a case of leaving it up to the buyer to sort in that instance, as there's nothing to stop them making a Paypal claim for 'not received' and the seller won't have a leg to stand on as the item wasn't sent recorded.

Banned

Midlandscomics is just correcting Nina Greaves UK who seems to have forgotton that it's her responsibility to ensure the goods get to the buyer. Sending on a claim form rather than a refund is not acceptable. Advised to contact paypal for an immediate refund given the scenario detailed.

midlandscomics;6326732

Well either way tbh. She said that when she sells something she only … Well either way tbh. She said that when she sells something she only posts with proof of postage, which she'll then pass on to the buyer to make a claim in the event of loss/damage (of the ebay item....not the P.O.P.).All I was saying is that it shouldn't be a case of leaving it up to the buyer to sort in that instance, as there's nothing to stop them making a Paypal claim for 'not received' and the seller won't have a leg to stand on as the item wasn't sent recorded.

I definetly agree with you. Just needed some clarification.

I wouldn't leave it up to the buyer as thats just selfish.

I get you with paypal as they don't take proof of postage into account. So the seller wouldn't be able to keep there money.

Banned

OP,

From memory I'm not aware of this trade. However now that it's brought to our attention you should be reminded that it's your responsibility to ensure the item got to your buyer. In the event of the item not reaching it's destination, it's up to you to claim compensation. As you failed to get proof of postagte, RM have made a full and final settlement. Take the good advice of others and FS/FT guidance and always obtain proof of postage and ensure you have adequate insurance if required.

Let us know when you will rectify the outstanding trade.

Nina Greaves UK;6326619

I've sold thousands of items on eBay worldwide and I've never had an item … I've sold thousands of items on eBay worldwide and I've never had an item that's completely gone missing, I even had a record returned from Denmark 6 weeks later with just my house number and postcode as a return address.When people write and say they have not had things delivered 90% of the time it's at the sorting office and 10% of the time they are trying to pull a fast one.TIP: Whenever I sell an item my terms include that I will get a proof of purchase, should an item go missing I would be happy to forward that proof of purchase to the buyer, who then is able to make a claim on their own behalf.Never had to do that. 14,000 worldwide eBay transactions and not once have I done that.

How do you know that 90% its the sorting office & 10% buyers pulling a fast one??
As for sending the POP on I would hate to buy from you, it is your responsability as a seller to claim & refund.

14,000 transactions and not 1 parcel missing. I find that very hard to believe.

Banned

OP

In addition, please send me a link to the completed trade. I see no acceptance of such offer so far. Apologies if I've missed it.

I'm not sure of your definition of 'a very long time'.

Original Poster

Here's the thread: hotukdeals.com/ite…e=4

I sent the claim form, proof of value and the receipt which stated it was the proof of postage.

The item was not sent recorded (everything else I send from now on will be).

The buyer has since informed me that he has claimed twice since this from the Royal Mail also.

Banned

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/419513/resi-5-fifa-09-and-prince-of-persia/showpost.php?p=5701929&postcount=48

barbour9,

Are you stating that there is no dispute in this trade and the buyer has had complete satisfaction ?

I did note that he informed you very early on in the process regarding non delivery.

Original Poster

hotukdeals.com/for…088

Feedback for the buyer indicates a previous 'non-arrival' that was never resolved and another 'sale' that involved a 'scammer'.

On top of that, he asked me to claim for 3 games to get more compensation and has informed me that he's claimed a further two times since waiting for this case to be resolved.

Am I still at fault?

Banned

barbour9;6327780

http://www.hotukdeals.com/forum-feedback?user_id=178088Feedback for the … http://www.hotukdeals.com/forum-feedback?user_id=178088Feedback for the buyer indicates a previous 'non-arrival' that was never resolved and another 'sale' that involved a 'scammer'.On top of that, he asked me to claim for 3 games to get more compensation and has informed me that he's claimed a further two times since waiting for this case to be resolved.Am I still at fault?

The buyer asked you to make a fraudulent claim through RM, you are making some quite serious allegations if true.

midlandscomics;6326591

As long as you have a proof of postage for standard 1st class mail … As long as you have a proof of postage for standard 1st class mail :thumbsup:

Yep, you'll need your receipt etc as proof, the same as you'll need if it was recorded.

barbour9;6327780

http://www.hotukdeals.com/forum-feedback?user_id=178088Feedback for the … http://www.hotukdeals.com/forum-feedback?user_id=178088Feedback for the buyer indicates a previous 'non-arrival' that was never resolved and another 'sale' that involved a 'scammer'.On top of that, he asked me to claim for 3 games to get more compensation and has informed me that he's claimed a further two times since waiting for this case to be resolved.Am I still at fault?

So you made a claim with the Royal Mail for recorded and got stamps. Doesn't make sense. If you have a tracking number.

Banned

barbour9;6327780

You are responsible for ensuring the item gets to your buyer. However I will contact the other member and seek their view.

Banned

Adam2050;6327889

So you made a claim with the Royal Mail for recorded and got stamps. … So you made a claim with the Royal Mail for recorded and got stamps. Doesn't make sense. If you have a tracking number.

he didnt have a tracking number just a proof of postage.....you get the same insurance with that as you do with recorded 100x 1st class stamp(39p) £39

either way sounds like the pair of em are up to some no good postal claims:whistling:

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.