Expired

Royal Mail enquiry! - Rep added 4 help

Found 14th Sep 2009
I've just sold an item on ebay for £36.00 - but not sure what method of postage to use?
Which type of delivery is insured and which type of delivery gives you proof of postage?
Thanks in advance, will add rep 4 any help!

56 Comments

Send it first class recorded, it's the safest way to cover yourself against scammers on ebay.

All deliveries are insured to some extent, I think first class is £35-36, so that's about right. All deliveries also give you proof of postage, but recorded means you can prove it was posted and reached it's destination. So if the buyer claims they didn't receive it, you can prove they did and paypal will find in your favour.

recorded delivery - insures for up to £35
depending on weight - upto 1kg you can do 2nd class - makes it cheaper for you:thumbsup:

I would personally forget recorded as we often ( at work - i deal with the mail ) get recorded items stuffed into the sack which we don't sign for. Special Delivery next day is your best bet & is insured :thumbsup:

Banned

defo recorded or even special delivery, that should hopwfully stop people trying to claim back off paypal

holly100;6288457

recorded delivery - insures for up to £35 depending on weight - upto 1kg … recorded delivery - insures for up to £35 depending on weight - upto 1kg you can do 2nd class - makes it cheaper for you:thumbsup:

£39 for first class..

Send first class recorded.

send special which starts at £5.05 to get there before 1pm .... before 9am is even more

recorded is hit and miss if RM actually get a sig, and posties tend to sign for it too

As long as you post from the post office you will always get a proof of postage from the counter clerk no matter which way you send it but yes 1st class recorded is the best way and if you are going to make a habit of selling on ebay give the buyer an option of how they would like it sent so you do not end up out of pocket sending something recorded when they have only paid second class.

Original Poster

The parcel is 1.4KG and worth £36.00 - Should first class recorded do?

What delivery method did you state in your auction? Cos that's what you have to send it by.

Banned

if you dont want the hassle of them saying they havent received it, then send recorded, that is proof they have or havent

darren9030;6288467

I would personally forget recorded as we often ( at work - i deal with … I would personally forget recorded as we often ( at work - i deal with the mail ) get recorded items stuffed into the sack which we don't sign for. Special Delivery next day is your best bet & is insured :thumbsup:

Well this isn't a work item, it's for ebay.

"Forget recorded" at your own peril OP.

Special delivery is overkill for a £36 item IMO

Original Poster

faevilangel;6288485

send special which starts at £5.05 to get there before 1pm .... before … send special which starts at £5.05 to get there before 1pm .... before 9am is even morerecorded is hit and miss if RM actually get a sig, and posties tend to sign for it too

rbquk;6288486

As long as you post from the post office you will always get a proof of … As long as you post from the post office you will always get a proof of postage from the counter clerk no matter which way you send it but yes 1st class recorded is the best way and if you are going to make a habit of selling on ebay give the buyer an option of how they would like it sent so you do not end up out of pocket sending something recorded when they have only paid second class.

bilalbilal;6288487

Cant add rep to you lot mate sorry I've given out too much!!!! Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

i would go recorded delivery.
For any item you post you can get a receipt as proof of postage that will automatically insure up to £35 - but the insurance paid is only with proof the item is worth that value., and they probably wont refunde delivery costs.

e.g. i sold a game on ebay that got lost using just 1st class delivery - i gave a printoff of how much the item was won for, which they refunded, but they made a statement to say postage would not be refunded - crazy cos its the mail system that failed...

bilalbilal;6288487

yes i would - i always send recorded - trackable as well -

over 1200 feedback - only 1 not delivered - which was sent back to me by R.M

considering i live in area were posties are very militant - down tools if coffee isnt hot enough - pretty good going:thumbsup:

ChipSticks;6288500

Well this isn't a work item, it's for ebay. "Forget recorded" at your own … Well this isn't a work item, it's for ebay. "Forget recorded" at your own peril OP.Special delivery is overkill for a £36 item IMO

Yes obviously it's the op's choice but Recorded is dodgy. I sent something ( personal ) Recorded which never arrived. The Royal Mail made all the excuses under the sun & ended up giving me a book of stamps :x for something worth £32.

grimlocksbrain;6288506

i would go recorded delivery.For any item you post you can get a receipt … i would go recorded delivery.For any item you post you can get a receipt as proof of postage that will automatically insure up to £35 - but the insurance paid is only with proof the item is worth that value., and they probably wont refunde delivery costs.e.g. i sold a game on ebay that got lost using just 1st class delivery - i gave a printoff of how much the item was won for, which they refunded, but they made a statement to say postage would not be refunded - crazy cos its the mail system that failed...

RM won't refund postage costs for eBay items, due to sellers overcharging etc.

I'd definitely send 1st class recorded, as it'll be insured for up to £39.00. It'll cost £5.90.

rbquk;6288486

As long as you post from the post office you will always get a proof of … As long as you post from the post office you will always get a proof of postage from the counter clerk no matter which way you send it but yes 1st class recorded is the best way and if you are going to make a habit of selling on ebay give the buyer an option of how they would like it sent so you do not end up out of pocket sending something recorded when they have only paid second class.

not true.... the Postal office will give you a "receipt" which you can use to get your money back if the item vanishes but to get a signature on an item, you need to use the appropriate service,.

NEVER EVER let an ebayer choose the delivery method, they will always choose the cheapest, and some will ask you to send non recorded as they will win a paypal claim

The onus is on the seller to get the item to the buyer, its up to the seller to choose the appropriate method which meets the paypal terms and conditions, which is the item needs online tracking, so you need either recorded or special delivery, or use one of the approved couriers that paypal recommend.

bilalbilal;6288487

That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack for normal delivery. If you haven't mentioned recorded I would just obtain proof of postage and leave it at that, I send my ebay stuff without recorded delivery ever since they insisted I post it for nothing. I offer the b uyer to send it recorded for £1 extra and as far as I am concerned if they don't take the extra protection it is down to them not me. I've proved I have posted and would expect Paypal to find in my favour - not saying they would, mind........

What item is it??

its up to the seller to choose the appropriate method which meets the … its up to the seller to choose the appropriate method which meets the paypal terms and conditions, which is the item needs online tracking,

Didn't realise that

they will always choose the cheapest,

Agreed. But I have to offer "Free postage" for video games - so how do I get round that? Send it recorded anyway and lose out? I bought one listed as recorded delivery and it did go for a bit more than other similar items, but only by about 50p

Banned

Johnboy_1975;6288550

That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack … That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack for normal delivery. If you haven't mentioned recorded I would just obtain proof of postage and leave it at that, I send my ebay stuff without recorded delivery ever since they insisted I post it for nothing. I offer the b uyer to send it recorded for £1 extra and as far as I am concerned if they don't take the extra protection it is down to them not me. I've proved I have posted and would expect Paypal to find in my favour - not saying they would, mind........What item is it??

without proof of receipt paypal would refund

Johnboy_1975;6288550

That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack … That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack for normal delivery. If you haven't mentioned recorded I would just obtain proof of postage and leave it at that, I send my ebay stuff without recorded delivery ever since they insisted I post it for nothing. I offer the b uyer to send it recorded for £1 extra and as far as I am concerned if they don't take the extra protection it is down to them not me. [COLOR="Red"]I've proved I have posted and would expect Paypal to find in my favour[/COLOR] - not saying they would, mind........What item is it??

The definitely wouldn't You've got to be able to prove that it's been delivered, not just posted, as the onus is on you (as the seller) to make sure it arrives with the buyer. The only services that'll do this are Recorded or Special Delivery, or via couriers such as DHL.

Johnboy_1975;6288550

That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack … That is going to cost you a fortune recorded or special and a fair wack for normal delivery. If you haven't mentioned recorded I would just obtain proof of postage and leave it at that, I send my ebay stuff without recorded delivery ever since they insisted I post it for nothing. I offer the b uyer to send it recorded for £1 extra and as far as I am concerned if they don't take the extra protection it is down to them not me. I've proved I have posted and would expect Paypal to find in my favour - not saying they would, mind........

you will lose any claim with paypal as you cannot prove the item gets to the buyer.. the recorded is to protect you, not the buyer

is 70p saving on postage, worth it when you will lose your money and your item ? Just bump up the price to cover the extra if needed

faevilangel;6288570

you will lose any claim with paypal as you cannot prove the item gets to … you will lose any claim with paypal as you cannot prove the item gets to the buyer.. the recorded is to protect you, not the buyer

+1

Always always send recorded, add the extra 70p to the postage charges so you're not out of pocket.

Banned

regardless you need signiture for a paypal claim but once that claim has been lost if you dont have signiture.... then you send in a print out of the lost claim and refund with your royal mail proof of postage(not recorded just standard) and you will receive a full refund upto 100x the price of a first class stamp which is currently £39

you dont have to send recorded you are still covered for the same amount regardless......just means you may have to muck about a little

Original Poster

OK to elaborate on the thread
I've sold a faulty PSP for £36 on ebay and charged the buyer £14.00 for delivery
The items 1.4 KG and I'm thinking of sending via 1st class recorded?
How much will it cost me?

bilalbilal;6288597

OK to elaborate on the threadI've sold a faulty PSP for £36 on ebay and … OK to elaborate on the threadI've sold a faulty PSP for £36 on ebay and charged the buyer £14.00 for deliveryThe items 1.4 KG and I'm thinking of sending via 1st class recorded?How much will it cost me?

£14? You'd be lucky if they didn't neg you for overcharging.

I'd send it RMSD to be sure they didn't neg me.

Banned

bilalbilal;6288597

OK to elaborate on the threadI've sold a faulty PSP for £36 on ebay and … OK to elaborate on the threadI've sold a faulty PSP for £36 on ebay and charged the buyer £14.00 for deliveryThe items 1.4 KG and I'm thinking of sending via 1st class recorded?How much will it cost me?

£5.90 for 1400g:thumbsup:

try link, you can change the weight if needed: sg.royalmail.com/por…532

First Class stamps* Delivery Aim 1 Day Up to £39 No £5.15

Recorded (Signed For) First Class stamps* Delivery Aim 1 Day Up to £39 Proof of Delivery £5.90

Special Delivery 9.00am Guaranteed by 9:00am next day Up to £50 Tracked £18.30

Special Delivery Next Day Guaranteed by 1:00pm next day Up to £500 Tracked £8.65

Standard Parcels Delivery Aim 3 Days Up to £39 No £4.41

bilalbilal;6288597

You've charged the buyer £14 :w00t:

As I put abover, it'll cost £5.90, but if you've charged that amount I think they'll bee a bit peeved when it arrives.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6288489

What delivery method did you state in your auction? Cos that's what you … What delivery method did you state in your auction? Cos that's what you have to send it by.

Sellers standard rate

Banned

bilalbilal;6288597

less than or around a fiver......ouch that you charged £14

even special delivery wouldnt be anywhere near that

expect a 1 or 2 in your dsr's

Banned

£14 delivery :w00t::w00t:

Original Poster

midlandscomics;6288611

You've charged the buyer £14 :w00t:As I put abover, it'll cost £5.90, but … You've charged the buyer £14 :w00t:As I put abover, it'll cost £5.90, but if you've charged that amount I think they'll bee a bit peeved when it arrives.

LOL i put it high to cover ebay FVF and paypal

bilalbilal;6288597

owwww!! how much? :lol:

send RMSD as its a fragile item, and you let the seller get it quickly. RM 1st class doesn't guarentee and with the intermittent strikes it may never turn up :whistling:

bilalbilal;6288597

Ask at the PO counter :thumbsup: But if you have charged £14 for postage I'm sure you will find an option for less than that. I'd say recorded delivery would be fine.

I've sold a faulty PSP...The items 1.4 KG

That's a heavy PSP :w00t:

Banned

bilalbilal;6288629

yeah but from october your dsr's will play a larger part and if you get too many 1/2's then you get suspended

Original Poster

I charged postage high as "Sellers Standard rate" - £14 to cover ebays horrible and STUPID final value fee.
Then the stupid Paypal charge.

bilalbilal;6288629

Which would be about £4, but as casparwhite has already said, expect 1s and 2s in you dsrs.

Original Poster

Johnboy_1975;6288634

Ask at the PO counter :thumbsup: But if you have charged £14 for postage … Ask at the PO counter :thumbsup: But if you have charged £14 for postage I'm sure you will find an option for less than that. I'd say recorded delivery would be fine.That's a heavy PSP :w00t:

LOL.....it includes lots of other crap with it thats why.....4 boxed UMD's, a lot of bubblewrap LOL:p

bilalbilal;6288629

you can't do that, you are supposed to take the cost out of your "profits"

i wouild refund the buyer £7 to keep them sweet

Original Poster

midlandscomics;6288642

Which would be about £4, but as casparwhite has already said, expect 1s … Which would be about £4, but as casparwhite has already said, expect 1s and 2s in you dsrs.

DSRS - sellers rating thing right?

Original Poster

faevilangel;6288649

you can't do that, you are supposed to take the cost out of your … you can't do that, you are supposed to take the cost out of your "profits"i wouild refund the buyer £7 to keep them sweet

I did put in my listing postage is high to cover costs - do not purchase if u r not happy...
but someone scammed me twice never payed
so removed that notice!! DAMN

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.