Expired

Royal Mail Help - How to Post Nail Polishes Under New Regulations?

Found 14th Jul 2013
As of tomorrow the new prohibited goods restrictions set by Royal Mail are enforced.
I've recently sold some nail polish via eBay and want to post it.
The Royal Mail website itself is so confusing! (From what I can make of it: 'Personal Customers' cannot send nail polish, but 'Business' customers can? And only if you pre-purchase the postage online beforehand?)

Can anybody explain this properly? Or at least confirm if I'm right or wrong.
Would I be better using a courier such as Hermes? - Thanks!
Community Updates
17 Comments
There is no restriction for personal customers

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

but the following applies to businesses

"Volume per item must not exceed 30ml. No more than four bottles of nail varnish can be sent in any one package. Bottles of nail varnish must be placed in strong outer packaging and be so packed, secured or cushioned in such a way that they cannot break, be punctured or leak their contents into the outer packaging.

An ID8000 label must be applied (see example ID8000 label Opens in new window ). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

These items may only be sent using our 1st Class or 2nd Class products paid for via online postage, franking or on account (VAT exempt 1st and 2nd Class Account Mail), Special Delivery™ paid for via online postage, franking or on account, Royal Mail Tracked® and Royal Mail Sameday®.

Please note Royal Mail Tracked Returns™, Business Response, Freepost™ and all variants of Packetpost™ and Packetsort™ are excluded."

termite

There is no restriction for personal … There is no restriction for personal customershttp://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goodsbut the following applies to businesses"Volume per item must not exceed 30ml. No more than four bottles of nail varnish can be sent in any one package. Bottles of nail varnish must be placed in strong outer packaging and be so packed, secured or cushioned in such a way that they cannot break, be punctured or leak their contents into the outer packaging.An ID8000 label must be applied (see example ID8000 label Opens in new window ). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.These items may only be sent using our 1st Class or 2nd Class products paid for via online postage, franking or on account (VAT exempt 1st and 2nd Class Account Mail), Special Delivery™ paid for via online postage, franking or on account, Royal Mail Tracked® and Royal Mail Sameday®.Please note Royal Mail Tracked Returns™, Business Response, Freepost™ and all variants of Packetpost™ and Packetsort™ are excluded."

Ah really? At first I thought there was no restriction for personal customers, but, I did download their leaflet and under flammable goods (including nail polishes) there are 2 huge Xs pretty much meaning that you can't post them?
I've downloaded the form and attached it to the box incase. Would ask the local Post Office but the staff in there are useless and I've had a fair few arguments with them.

termite has quoted from the RM website section on RESTRICTED items. Nail varnish is a PROHIBITED item:

Flammable liquidsThis includes mixtures of liquids or liquids containing … Flammable liquidsThis includes mixtures of liquids or liquids containing solids in solution or suspension which give off a flammable vapour. Any liquid with a closed cup flash point below 60.5° C is prohibited e.g. acetone, benzene, cleaning compounds, gasoline, lighter fuel, paint thinners and removers, petroleum and solvents, certain alcoholic beverages, perfumes and aftershaves, varnishes and enamels including nail varnish.

royalmail.com/per…ods
ceres

termite has quoted from the RM website section on RESTRICTED items. Nail … termite has quoted from the RM website section on RESTRICTED items. Nail varnish is a PROHIBITED item:http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

So I can't post them at all? So confusing.
Probably wouldn't be a problem if they weren't using the packages for football practice around the sorting office (_;)
Check whether other couriers carry them. Just tried myhermes but the website is down.
Butterbean

Probably wouldn't be a problem if they weren't using the packages for … Probably wouldn't be a problem if they weren't using the packages for football practice around the sorting office (_;)

It's enforcing the CAA regulations on what can be shipped by plane.
That quote is on the RM website page on restricted items for business customers. There's nothing on the equivalent page for personal customers. For personal customers, nail varnish is listed as prohibited.
ceres

It's enforcing the CAA regulations on what can be shipped by plane.

Parcel is going from Yorkshire to Plymouth, highly doubt Royal Mail will be using EasyJet on my £2.60 package.
ceres

That quote is on the RM website page on restricted items for business … That quote is on the RM website page on restricted items for business customers. There's nothing on the equivalent page for personal customers. For personal customers, nail varnish is listed as prohibited.

That's what I thought. How do you qualify as a "Business Customer" though? It's such a hassle over something so petty as a 13.5ml bottle of nail polish!
SomeLikeItHottt

Parcel is going from Yorkshire to Plymouth, highly doubt Royal Mail will … Parcel is going from Yorkshire to Plymouth, highly doubt Royal Mail will be using EasyJet on my £2.60 package.

It very possibly is going by air, just not by Easyjet.
Edited by: "ceres" 14th Jul 2013
Terrabytes

No, it's for personal customers. I received the link directly as an … No, it's for personal customers. I received the link directly as an online personal customer.

You might well have. I didn't dispute that. I stated what is on the RM website.
SomeLikeItHottt

Parcel is going from Yorkshire to Plymouth, highly doubt Royal Mail will … Parcel is going from Yorkshire to Plymouth, highly doubt Royal Mail will be using EasyJet on my £2.60 package.

It's 350 miles from Yorkshire to Plymouth. When you're talking as little as a 12hr turnaround between arriving at York's sortinf office and going out for delivery in Plymouth the following morning, do you really think anything less than air transport will cut it?
Terrabytes

There is nothing that states it is for business customers.

Yes, there is.
dxx

It's 350 miles from Yorkshire to Plymouth. When you're talking as little … It's 350 miles from Yorkshire to Plymouth. When you're talking as little as a 12hr turnaround between arriving at York's sortinf office and going out for delivery in Plymouth the following morning, do you really think anything less than air transport will cut it?

A) I didn't say where in Yorkshire.
B) Using second class postal services.
C) Rail?

I appreciate your blatant attempt at one-upmanship on a public forum, I really do, but the truth is that you're barely contributing to a worthwhile reply to the initial topic question. Thanks for the input though...
There's very little mail goes by train these days - the RM switched to road and air quite a few years back now. Even if your parcel did end up going by train, there's no way you or the Post Office could be sure of that in advance.
I had no idea they're prohibited. I'm a personal seller on eBay and posted some varnishes on Friday, which have now reviewed positive reviews. So they went through alright if you want to risk it. Fuming that it cost me £2.60 to send though, didn't realise and made a loss..

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions