Royal Mail International Signed For Questions for selling on eBay

I'm going to be sending a jiffy sized envelop to the USA tomorrow and would like it to be tracked. But when looking at the Royal Mail website, I have the following questions:

1) It says for something that's 600g, the International Signed For is £15.54 but International Signed For Small Packets is only £11.36. How do I make sure what I am sending would qualify as a Small Packet so I can send it cheaper? It seems weird that a small packet would be cheaper to send than regular mail.

2) I know it says they will not be providing with a signature after it reaches its destination so I'm wondering if sending it by International Signed For or by Airsure (only electronic tracking; no signature either) is enough to convince paypal/ebay if the buyer decides to claim s/he never received the package?

12 Comments

To send it as a Small Package write Small package next to your blue Airmail label.

Int signed for is enough to be covered by ebay/paypal policies as it is trackable etc.

Banned

unsigned for is no good should a claim be made via paypal

I suggest AirSure, so you can see on-line when it was delivered and who signed for it.

SUMMONER;6569502

I suggest AirSure, so you can see on-line when it was delivered and who … I suggest AirSure, so you can see on-line when it was delivered and who signed for it.

From RM Website

Airsure items are electronically tracked to their destination, but are not signed for on delivery.

Int Signed For would be best. Depending on value of item youy can pay a bit more for insurance up to £500.

Someone once tried to make a claim against me but once i had provided ISF Tracking details to Paypal they found in my favour.

Have never had a problem sending anything ISF.

notts6501;6569583

From RM WebsiteAirsure items are electronically tracked to their … From RM WebsiteAirsure items are electronically tracked to their destination, but are not signed for on delivery.

Oops... my mistake, I thought it was both.

In this case it will just say delivered from USPS delivery office xyz on date xyz. Try entering ref: LY390477681GB ]here.

International Signed For will just say "Your item, posted on xyz with reference xyz has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in xyz".

Original Poster

notts6501;6569614

Someone once tried to make a claim against me but once i had provided ISF … Someone once tried to make a claim against me but once i had provided ISF Tracking details to Paypal they found in my favour..

Thanks, was looking for some personal experience with paypal claims like this.

Original Poster

I just spent some time reading past archives from eBay and it seems that people are recommending ISF if sending to USA and Canada since most items can be tracked. So since I'm sending to USA, I'll just use the ISF then.

Anyone know what I should do for my 1st question in the OP? Would like to send it as small packet but I am only sending something in a jiffy size...would I need to package it in a box to qualify for the small packet rate?

RM sizing guide is here: royalmail.com/por…706

Basically says about packets;

Gifts, clothes, shoes, posters, video tapes, large books and other large items and documents are all examples of items that are likely to fall into the Packet format.

Length: over 353mm OR

Width: over 250mm OR

Thickness: over 25mm OR

Weight: over 750g. There is no weight limit for items
sent First Class. The weight limit for Second Class
items is 1000g.

Sending larger items?

The maximum dimensions for rectangular items are 610mm x 460mm x 460mm. Items over these dimensions should be sent by Standard Parcels.

Sending a poster?

The maximum length for rolled or cylindrical items is 900mm, and the length plus twice the item diameter must be no more than 1040mm

Slash;6569919

I just spent some time reading past archives from eBay and it seems that … I just spent some time reading past archives from eBay and it seems that people are recommending ISF if sending to USA and Canada since most items can be tracked. So since I'm sending to USA, I'll just use the ISF then. Anyone know what I should do for my 1st question in the OP? Would like to send it as small packet but I am only sending something in a jiffy size...would I need to package it in a box to qualify for the small packet rate?

I use ISF for sending ebay packages,doesn't need to be in a box,small packets means just that,not a massive box or packet,

Not had any probs with people claiming non receipt to paypal either

1)
International LETTER rate is more in price than the PACKET rate.
Basically, if its not an envelope its a packet.
So, you have a jiffy, which is a PACKET, not a paper envelope.

Write SMALL PACKET at the top of the envelope. It will go as small packet.
Also, dont forget the Customs Label

2)
It's best to send it via International Signed For, the recipient will need to sign for it, which will make it look like the item is actually sent via a reputable service, rather than just handed over like a normal piece of mail.

Also, as regard to tracking, although Royal Mail only track International Signed For items upto the point they leave the UK, the items can be tracked on the United States Postal Service website from the point its recieved in their country. (]http//ww…htm). So you will know exactly when its been delivered.

Now, the added bonus.. International Signed For is cheaper than Airsure!

Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. I sent it using ISF and it went as small packet. Rep will be left soon.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
    2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
    3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions