Royal mail item stopped at customs waiting for tax to be paid

Posted 22nd Sep
I received a text from royal mail saying that I need to pay tax on an item and they give me the name and country where this item comes from. I can't link that to orders I put on Amazon, and I'm not sure which one to cancel and return.

how can I tell what is the item that royal mail said the customs have?

I bought many items, from different places. But I can't figure out which item they are talking about.

I would like to return the item and get refund, it's not worth the money royal mail want to charge me to handle this.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
You sure it’s an amazon parcel? Everything I’ve ever ordered from amazon.com .fr .jp etc the taxes and that are added into price at the checkout and displayed then when if it’s cheaper they refund you. I had a few refunds recently as the cost of delivery taxes etc were a lot cheaper than the first charge.

Just go up to where your parcel is held and see what’s the package is? Or ring them and ask them?
Have u ordered anything from Australia?
Anywhere outside the EU you are liable for import duty/VAT ,admin fees . Lots of marketplace stuff on Amazon is from Chinese sellers . Does that narrow it down ?
Depending on where you bought it from the supplier may well refuse to refund you depending on how you paid. It isn't the sellers but the buyers responsibility to pay taxes due upon entry of a package into a country unless agreed otherwise. To be charged taxes the item from my knowledge will be coming from somewhere outside the European Union and the same rules don't apply to those sellers. I'd honestly pay the charge and take it as a lesson learnt.
I'm not sure it really works like that in that you can just cancel an order for item and expect it to get sent back to its sender and for them to refund you. I'm sure that you've had plenty of items slip through over the years that you could have been charged tax on but we're not, just pay the charge this time.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 23rd Sep
Just wait a while and see what if the items from Amazon turn up. That might help you narrow down which item is the one in question.
If you don’t pay the customs fee just don’t pay it and it will be returned sender. There will be no delivery confirmation so you will get a refund.
Edited by: "Apple.user" 23rd Sep
Does RM send import fee demands by text message? I've only ever received grey card through letterbox. If legit, the item will be held for 21days prior to RTS (via cheapest method = slow boat and untracked). The sender may receive your item in about two months time, and may or may not decide to acknowledge the return and / or refund (no doubt minus shipping), but you may be able to attempt an earlier refund if your original payment method has some protection associated with it.
How does Royal Mail and/or Customs know your mobile number?
How are they asking you to pay?
What amount roughly we talking about?
Twice now I've received a letter from RM for the same thing - my sister sent me some rubbish tracksuit pants that I had to pay £16 for - could have bought them here for cheaper.

Second time I didn't bother to collect, I'm annoyed that RM add their own admin fee to the price, but the only thing they do differently is to sent out a letter, wow I bet that costs them a lot...
Are you sure this isn't a scam?
I have never been contacted by Royal mail via text to pay tax on items.. Usually a letter in the post. I'd just wait for all your items to arrive.

If its an item that requires a tax to be paid then RM will usually leave a card/or you will receive a letter
Bigfootpete23/09/2019 07:55

Twice now I've received a letter from RM for the same thing - my sister …Twice now I've received a letter from RM for the same thing - my sister sent me some rubbish tracksuit pants that I had to pay £16 for - could have bought them here for cheaper. Second time I didn't bother to collect, I'm annoyed that RM add their own admin fee to the price, but the only thing they do differently is to sent out a letter, wow I bet that costs them a lot...

the cost is not just for doing the letters, its for collecting and administrating the customs process, yes its annoying that its expensive but its a complex process and £8 admin is cheap for what they need to do, could be worse other providers are even more expensive.
Sounds like a scam to me. Get regular packages from Japan and always get a letter if any import duty is required.
Bigfootpete23/09/2019 07:55

Twice now I've received a letter from RM for the same thing - my sister …Twice now I've received a letter from RM for the same thing - my sister sent me some rubbish tracksuit pants that I had to pay £16 for - could have bought them here for cheaper. Second time I didn't bother to collect, I'm annoyed that RM add their own admin fee to the price, but the only thing they do differently is to sent out a letter, wow I bet that costs them a lot...

They don't just send out the letter, who do you think does all the paperwork with customs for you to get your package?

It's a common thing people automatically thinking that they'll get something cheaper from abroad without considering the extras like duty, vat and admin charges.
It's that cocaine you ordered from Colombia, now does it jog your memory?
eslick23/09/2019 14:56

the cost is not just for doing the letters, its for collecting and …the cost is not just for doing the letters, its for collecting and administrating the customs process, yes its annoying that its expensive but its a complex process and £8 admin is cheap for what they need to do, could be worse other providers are even more expensive.

Complex process my ar$e.
Bigfootpete24/09/2019 06:55

Complex process my ar$e.

yeah, thats why there is such a mess about the Irish border in the negoatiations we are not allowed to talk about on here, as customs processes are really straight forward and easy to manage. Factor in the cost of collecting money, paying the custom fees and the free transactional banking fees the RM dont have to pay and staff that are not needed and £8 is very expensive.
eslick24/09/2019 07:37

yeah, thats why there is such a mess about the Irish border in the …yeah, thats why there is such a mess about the Irish border in the negoatiations we are not allowed to talk about on here, as customs processes are really straight forward and easy to manage. Factor in the cost of collecting money, paying the custom fees and the free transactional banking fees the RM dont have to pay and staff that are not needed and £8 is very expensive.

Haha, you can't compare a mailed parcel with the Irish border...
It's not all one big customs process that encompasses everything...
Bigfootpete24/09/2019 08:43

Haha, you can't compare a mailed parcel with the Irish border... It's not …Haha, you can't compare a mailed parcel with the Irish border... It's not all one big customs process that encompasses everything...

you obviously dont understand how customs works, getting any goods into the country is complex whether its one truck or one parcel.
Sc4mp023/09/2019 19:56

They don't just send out the letter, who do you think does all the …They don't just send out the letter, who do you think does all the paperwork with customs for you to get your package?It's a common thing people automatically thinking that they'll get something cheaper from abroad without considering the extras like duty, vat and admin charges.

I only buy music cd's from Japan that are not available here and expect that others do the same. One album doesn't usually attract a charge but costlier box sets do. I know I will get a charge over a certain price barrier. I do agree though that it's risky for electrics. Also have to consider returns if not happy with it. Warranties could be useless too.
Spam scam delete and block, feel free to ask royal mail as they would probably know more than anybody on here who does not work for r/m
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants