Royal Mail lost or damaged international mail claim form

Posted 15th Nov
My son bought a pair of trousers for £45, he then sold them on Depop for £100 for delivery to Spain.

He paid for roughly £15 for International tracked and signed for insured for £100 and the latest tracking info is

3332246.jpg

Royal Mail will only offer what he paid £45 (IF HE CAN FIND HIS RECEIPT) and it doesn't even look like he'll get cost of postage back.

I trust Depop and Paypal fees will be returned as the Paypal funds are being held.

Have I got this right?

And is there a better way of insuring goods?

How does it work if someone leaves me a watch for £500 in their will and I insure it for £500 via Special Delivery and it is lost in the post. Will my claim be dismissed out of hand?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

34 Comments
I’m pretty sure you can claim the full value of the item, you have proof the item sold for £100 and that’s the value of it, you’ll also get the £15 delivery back.
Yeah the item is covered for the value it sold, providing you had proof of sale (I have no idea what Depop is) and providing the postage covered the full value in insurance.
Depop is pretty much the same as eBay except it's for clothes and it's not bidding, just buying.

Am I reading into this incorrectly. My son can certainly show the depot sale for £100 and he can show the £100 being held by Paypal.

I hope I'm wrong because he regularly goes to charity shops in the right part of town and then sells them on Depop. He's making enough that I've stopped his pocket money and I want to be able to keep it that way

38995420-GDHr4.jpg
Edited by: "OllieSt" 15th Nov
Special Delivery covers full stated value, other services typically cover cost price. Definition of value will be stated in the specific service's terms. Not normally an issue until the service provider requests proof of value.
toonsquirel15/11/2019 15:20

I’m pretty sure you can claim the full value of the item, you have proof t …I’m pretty sure you can claim the full value of the item, you have proof the item sold for £100 and that’s the value of it, you’ll also get the £15 delivery back.

That's not entirely true. If you buy an item for £1 and sell it to a mate for £1000 and insure it for that would you expect Royal Mail to pay you the full grand??

Despite you claiming that to be the value it isn't, the value is still £45 to replace.
OllieSt15/11/2019 15:38

Depop is pretty much the same as eBay except it's for clothes and it's not …Depop is pretty much the same as eBay except it's for clothes and it's not bidding, just buying.Am I reading into this incorrectly. My son can certainly show the depot sale for £100 and he can show the £100 being held by Paypal. I hope I'm wrong because he regularly goes to charity shops in the right part of town and then sells them on Depop. He's making enough that I've stopped his pocket money and I want to be able to keep it that way [Image]

As prev stated: send via RM Special Delivery in UK to obtain full value cover not cost value.
OllieSt15/11/2019 15:38

Depop is pretty much the same as eBay except it's for clothes and it's not …Depop is pretty much the same as eBay except it's for clothes and it's not bidding, just buying.Am I reading into this incorrectly. My son can certainly show the depot sale for £100 and he can show the £100 being held by Paypal. I hope I'm wrong because he regularly goes to charity shops in the right part of town and then sells them on Depop. He's making enough that I've stopped his pocket money and I want to be able to keep it that way [Image]

I’ve only ever claimed using eBay, which has always been cover for the value I’ve sold the item for. Maybe it’s different on Depop, seems crazy if that’s the case though. As you could’ve had the item from a relative who has no proof of purchase, how would you know what they were worth or even prove it?...
Sc4mp015/11/2019 15:45

That's not entirely true. If you buy an item for £1 and sell it to a mate …That's not entirely true. If you buy an item for £1 and sell it to a mate for £1000 and insure it for that would you expect Royal Mail to pay you the full grand??Despite you claiming that to be the value it isn't, the value is still £45 to replace.

Yeah because you don’t expect the item to be lost. Otherwise what happens when someone sells a collectible coin worth say £200 but it cost them 50p, does that mean it’s only insured for the 50p you bought it or it’s true value as to what it sold for? To send something high valued will be fully tracked so if you and your mate wanted to commit fraud like you suggested then it wouldn’t work.
Does it still count as delayed parcel not lost yet?
In UK you need to wait nearly a month before can claim so doubt international is any sooner.
it hasn't been long enough but times will be found on their website.

They usually pay out fine too.

Having read the comments, i think you confused yourself.
You send screenshot of your paypal with buyer address and amount paid and link or item item of selling site with value. They pay what you sold it for.
how would they even know how much you paid for the item !?
Edited by: "AMaky" 15th Nov
According to my experience (seller on Amazon) the insurance will only pay you the cost of the item + pay or refund the delivery charge. In my case the insurance has paid me the cost of the item and I have resent the item for the customer. Also got a refund from the courier. Only problem is that it takes bit of time to process the claim and the negative feedback from the customer.
Edited by: "koolpubba" 15th Nov
AMaky15/11/2019 15:56

Does it still count as delayed parcel not lost yet?In UK you need to wait …Does it still count as delayed parcel not lost yet?In UK you need to wait nearly a month before can claim so doubt international is any sooner.it hasn't been long enough but times will be found on their website.They usually pay out fine too.Having read the comments, i think you confused yourself.You send screenshot of your paypal with buyer address and amount paid and link or item item of selling site with value. They pay what you sold it for.how would they even know how much you paid for the item !?

I'm confused because the information I'm receiving is inconsistent.

"You send screenshot of your paypal with buyer address and amount paid and link or item item of selling site with value."

Are you suggesting you can make a Royal Mail lost or damaged international's mail claim online?
OllieSt15/11/2019 16:02

I'm confused because the information I'm receiving is inconsistent."You …I'm confused because the information I'm receiving is inconsistent."You send screenshot of your paypal with buyer address and amount paid and link or item item of selling site with value."Are you suggesting you can make a Royal Mail lost or damaged international's mail claim online?

for UK you definitely can.
yes you can do it by post by online is quicker. although a cheque will arrive back by post from them.

Yes you can:

personal.help.royalmail.com/app…aim

however i think it might be too early yet.
Edited by: "AMaky" 15th Nov
AMaky15/11/2019 16:12

for UK you definitely can.yes you can do it by post by online is quicker. …for UK you definitely can.yes you can do it by post by online is quicker. although a cheque will arrive back by post from them.

I still run into the same issue. check if you're eligible and make a claim

I know I'm too early but Paypal are holding £100 and the guy in Spain is quite rightly saying where is his jeans

Can you provide proof of the items value expands to

38995808-W8qbu.jpg
What you need to provide

38995808-wxcUp.jpg
Fancy making money off a charity shop and denying the poor some decent clothes.
I reckon that you should pay your son the compensation.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 15th Nov
toonsquirel15/11/2019 15:49

Yeah because you don’t expect the item to be lost. Otherwise what happens w …Yeah because you don’t expect the item to be lost. Otherwise what happens when someone sells a collectible coin worth say £200 but it cost them 50p, does that mean it’s only insured for the 50p you bought it or it’s true value as to what it sold for? To send something high valued will be fully tracked so if you and your mate wanted to commit fraud like you suggested then it wouldn’t work.

You do know that fully tracked doesn't automatically mean something can't get lost don't you??

When it comes to collectable and antiques a lot of companies will ask for proof from an independent source of the true cost of the item.

Again I don't understand why you think a company would take word as the truth.

As the Op said what if a shipment gets damaged. If I bought a pair of jeans for £20,"sold" it to a mate for a grand and then he claims it was ripped in transit, do you think they'd pay out the grand??
chimp14uk15/11/2019 16:27

Fancy making money off a charity shop and denying the poor some decent …Fancy making money off a charity shop and denying the poor some decent clothes.I reckon that you should pay your son the compensation.

Try shopping in charity shops in Kensington & Knightsbridge. They sell clothes for more than I would pay for new.
Sc4mp015/11/2019 16:33

You do know that fully tracked doesn't automatically mean something can't …You do know that fully tracked doesn't automatically mean something can't get lost don't you??When it comes to collectable and antiques a lot of companies will ask for proof from an independent source of the true cost of the item.Again I don't understand why you think a company would take word as the truth.As the Op said what if a shipment gets damaged. If I bought a pair of jeans for £20,"sold" it to a mate for a grand and then he claims it was ripped in transit, do you think they'd pay out the grand??

Except in that case there would be a pair of jeans that could be properly evaluated.
OllieSt15/11/2019 16:02

...He paid for roughly £15 for International tracked and signed for …...He paid for roughly £15 for International tracked and signed for insured for £100... and it doesn't even look like he'll get cost of postage back

Enhanced compensation for the specific RM "International Tracked and Signed" service is reasonably clear = postage fee refund + actual loss, presumably in your son's case: £15 + £100, based on RMs statement of:
"...Postage fee refund plus compensation on the basis of actual loss, where evidence of posting and value can be provided... enhanced compensation has been purchased in which case compensation up to the lower of the market value or £250 may be paid..."
(although note the use of and implied context of the word "may").
Presumably your son can show the buyer's purchase price of £100 is typically "the lower of the market value", maybe by other sales of same / similar item?
royalmail.com/int…ion
unless other exclusions apply buried in t&c at royalmail.com/sit…pdf
OllieSt15/11/2019 16:17

I still run into the same issue. check if you're eligible and make a claim …I still run into the same issue. check if you're eligible and make a claim I know I'm too early but Paypal are holding £100 and the guy in Spain is quite rightly saying where is his jeans Can you provide proof of the items value expands to [Image] What you need to provide[Image]

yes the value is what the other person paid for the item.
Sc4mp015/11/2019 16:33

You do know that fully tracked doesn't automatically mean something can't …You do know that fully tracked doesn't automatically mean something can't get lost don't you??When it comes to collectable and antiques a lot of companies will ask for proof from an independent source of the true cost of the item.Again I don't understand why you think a company would take word as the truth.As the Op said what if a shipment gets damaged. If I bought a pair of jeans for £20,"sold" it to a mate for a grand and then he claims it was ripped in transit, do you think they'd pay out the grand??

So your saying you’d try a scam with a friend on the off chance that the parcel goes missing? Going your way if I sell an iPhone 4 for £30 and it goes missing does that mean I’ll get £400 for it because that’s what it cost me? No.. you get what it sells for which 99% of the time is less than what you paid but in cases like this it’s worth more.
toonsquirel15/11/2019 16:53

So your saying you’d try a scam with a friend on the off chance that the p …So your saying you’d try a scam with a friend on the off chance that the parcel goes missing? Going your way if I sell an iPhone 4 for £30 and it goes missing does that mean I’ll get £400 for it because that’s what it cost me? No.. you get what it sells for which 99% of the time is less than what you paid but in cases like this it’s worth more.

No, I wouldnt try and scam at all but my original post was based on the assumption that a shipment was damaged as per the Ops title and was just pointing out that its not as simple as claiming for what price something was sold.

But even in regards to getting lost, how many people do you think sign with a different name and then claim they don't know who has signed for it?
Item hasn’t been damaged it’s just been sitting doing nothing since 5th Nov. I’m just preempting a non delivery. I’ve got to wait 25 days from date of handing in to Post Office.
Op tried sending you a pm but its blanked out, not sure if it works if you pm first.
Sc4mp015/11/2019 17:06

Op tried sending you a pm but its blanked out, not sure if it works if you …Op tried sending you a pm but its blanked out, not sure if it works if you pm first.

Done
OllieSt15/11/2019 17:01

Item hasn’t been damaged it’s just been sitting doing nothing since 5th Nov …Item hasn’t been damaged it’s just been sitting doing nothing since 5th Nov. I’m just preempting a non delivery. I’ve got to wait 25 days from date of handing in to Post Office.

I’ve seen this happen loads of times and usually the item goes back to sender after a month or so. It could of had a slight mistake on address so is sitting in a sorting office abroad
toonsquirel15/11/2019 17:18

I’ve seen this happen loads of times and usually the item goes back to s …I’ve seen this happen loads of times and usually the item goes back to sender after a month or so. It could of had a slight mistake on address so is sitting in a sorting office abroad

The bit I don't know is how accurate the RM info really is.

Item leaving the UK 05.45 5th November obviously indicates item is in the UK, but I understand to take that as gospel is most probably not the thing to do.
That is normal for international Royal Mail, it isn’t actually tracked once it leaves the uk other than you get a delivered when it’s delivered.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Nov
OllieSt15/11/2019 17:30

The bit I don't know is how accurate the RM info really is. Item leaving …The bit I don't know is how accurate the RM info really is. Item leaving the UK 05.45 5th November obviously indicates item is in the UK, but I understand to take that as gospel is most probably not the thing to do.

The Royal Mail bit will be exactly what’s happened, we scan the parcels at all points and yours has gotten all way to Heathrow at 1.25am which is when it was scanned in there (received) then scanned again as it was loaded into a container on the plane at 5.45am. After this point it’s totally out of Royal Mail hands. It may well be that Spain don’t scan the items or that it’s genuinely gone missing from been loaded into the plane to been took off. It’s rare though for something to just totally disappear so is likely they’ve attempted delivery and it’s sat in a sorting office or it’s had a slightly wrong postcode so has been sent all over attempting to get to the right address and it could still get there or come right back to sender.
cmdr_elito15/11/2019 17:41

That is normal for international Royal Mail, it isn’t actually tracked o …That is normal for international Royal Mail, it isn’t actually tracked once it leaves the uk other than you get a delivered when it’s delivered.

International Tracked & Signed v International Signed

International tracked and signed was purchased. The shipping was made and purchased via Paypal and the label had returns address on it
OllieSt15/11/2019 17:49

International Tracked & Signed v International SignedInternational tracked …International Tracked & Signed v International SignedInternational tracked and signed was purchased. The shipping was made and purchased via Paypal and the label had returns address on it

Don’t listen to any of that non sense I worked in international logistics, any scanning is dependant on the place it’s going to when using a postal service and even parcel force doing it and a lot of countries don’t. Some won’t even confirm delivery i.e get a signature.

When going international it’s best to use proper carriers like UPS/Fedex/DHL who do actually track it everywhere as they have their own staff in all major countries. I used to work for DHL and we picked up many customers due to the lack of tracking and missing items through Royal Mail and parcel force.

You can get delivery cheaper for these carriers through interparcel
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Nov
I don’t think it’s lost at least I hope not. There is a perfectly good explanation. Deliveries to Spain are handled by GLS, so from Heathrow it would go to Germany and then it will be put in a van to cross the whole of Europe to reach Spain. You should count yourself lucky your son didn’t need to post to Portugal it took one of my parcels almost a month to get there and most recently to Bulgaria 3.5 weeks as gls in turn have another partner that takes over locally. It’s a farce but quite a few European destinations are handled by GLS and sorry @toonsquirel but i am not convinced that even the journey to Germany is by plane. It is information that RM never volunteers and the blanket guideline of 3-5 days for the whole of Europe is an absolute lie for quite a few countries, as most times it hasn’t even reached Germany by day 5. But as it’s only a guideline the customer has no right to complain Another thing RM would never tell you is that you can track the parcel beyond Heathrow on the GLS website
gls-group.eu/EU/…ing
Hope this helps
Etta
Just an update.

Guy in Spain confirmed delivery of goods and info on RM webpage also confirms good delivered. No online copy of the signature though. I think the one thing I've learnt from this thread is to use DHL/UPS or similar, as they have staff in both countries.

RM was a 14 day service for £15 for a pair of jeans
OllieSt21/11/2019 11:49

Just an update.Guy in Spain confirmed delivery of goods and info on RM …Just an update.Guy in Spain confirmed delivery of goods and info on RM webpage also confirms good delivered. No online copy of the signature though. I think the one thing I've learnt from this thread is to use DHL/UPS or similar, as they have staff in both countries. RM was a 14 day service for £15 for a pair of jeans

Great news
Did you try tracking it with the GLS link I posted, it usually gives full and detailed tracking
etta19121/11/2019 13:37

Great news Did you try tracking it with the GLS link I posted, it …Great news Did you try tracking it with the GLS link I posted, it usually gives full and detailed tracking

At the time you posted the link it provided no information. I just tried it now and it seems to be offering me a received signature but I need postcode of delivery address. I don't have that to hand at the moment, but when my son comes home I'll try it and update here.

What makes you think it doesn't go by plane to Germany or wherever? Is the tracking info mentioning Heathrow nonsense? However 14 days to Spain is more like a slow boat to China than anything else

10 days of no tracking

39054294-J2J7m.jpg
Edited by: "OllieSt" 21st Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants