Royal Mail probably lost my parcel.

Found 21st Jun
Hi folks. I’m a new eBay seller, I sent a parcel (which valued 130pounds) via first class signed for on 16th June, it supposed to be a next working day service. However, the tracking system shows it still haven’t been delivered till now (21th), the buyer seems feel nothing about that, and haven’t tried to contact me. I called Royal Mail customer service, and they said they could do nothing until 29th June, cuz on that day, they could judge it as a ‘lost’ case.

Is it possible that the courier forget to scan the parcel at the destination?
Should I contact buyer and ask whether he receive my parcel or not?
If they open a ‘not received’ case, what should I do?

Many thanks 🙏
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Signed For only covers up to £50. It isn't tracked but provides a "signature on receipt". It isn't a next working day service either. It is first or second class (depending on which you chose) with the SOR enhancement. It doesn't give any more than standard first or second other than the enhanced compensation.

If the buyer hasn't contacted you then it could be that they have the parcel but the postie never got the signature when he delivered (or even scanned it as delivered).

Leave well alone. Don't contact the buyer as you may put ideas in their head.

Next time, use a service that covers you for the amount you are sending.
Edited by: "windym" 21st Jun
Creatish5 m ago

Try get full compensation they will give you and don't tell buyer wait …Try get full compensation they will give you and don't tell buyer wait till they message you, if they do your screwed and will lose out .. (unless it was insured for 130£)... If not then you get extra 130£:P

Fraud....not something I would personally recommend.
31 Comments
Personally I would wait and see if you hear from the buyer. They could say they didn't receive it and get a refund all the while they actually have it!
Just wait it out. Good luck.
Signed For only covers up to £50. It isn't tracked but provides a "signature on receipt". It isn't a next working day service either. It is first or second class (depending on which you chose) with the SOR enhancement. It doesn't give any more than standard first or second other than the enhanced compensation.

If the buyer hasn't contacted you then it could be that they have the parcel but the postie never got the signature when he delivered (or even scanned it as delivered).

Leave well alone. Don't contact the buyer as you may put ideas in their head.

Next time, use a service that covers you for the amount you are sending.
Edited by: "windym" 21st Jun
Try get full compensation they will give you and don't tell buyer wait till they message you, if they do your screwed and will lose out .. (unless it was insured for 130£)... If not then you get extra 130£:P
First of all I would wait and see if the buyer receives it before contacting them, let them contact you. Secondly, hope and pray that it does arrive as you are woefully under insured for a £130 item if you only used 1st class signed for as this only provides compensation up to £50:

royalmail.com/per…ss/
Creatish5 m ago

Try get full compensation they will give you and don't tell buyer wait …Try get full compensation they will give you and don't tell buyer wait till they message you, if they do your screwed and will lose out .. (unless it was insured for 130£)... If not then you get extra 130£:P

deleted1431257
Watch out because the buyer could inflict a chargeback against you even if they received the parcel because the tracking is not confirming delivery. At the moment and reading your description it looks like they’re not familiar with the tracking situation so just wait for the buyer to respond to you. Don’t give them that chance to chargeback.
Wait for buyer to make comment, or not. Item is also underinsured. Next time if must use RM, consider enhanced cover such as cheaper Royal Mail Tracked 24 (or 48) that increases over to £100, but obvsly still below current item value royalmail.com/per…24/
Tracked should be OK for PoD by ebay.
Creatish1 h, 13 m ago

He won't get £130... He used 1st class signed for... Max compensation is £50.
@nbwuwd You wont be insured for the amount your saying its worth. 1st class signed for ,is covered to £50 but not for cash or jewellery being sent. You should have used special delivery which is approx £6 or £7 ish ,then you are fully covered for your eventuality. They may refuse to pay out and compensation as the value of the item is in excess of their range.
( Also worth noting ,you will only get compensation to the price of the sale on ebay NOT the true value,sometimes they even want to pay compensation out in postage stamps !!! I argued it as i didnt pay for the service with stamps,so should be refunded in cash as thats how i paid)
Hope you get lucky and it gets delivered,sometimes the postman puts the item through the letterbox * without" * obtaining a signature,which is wrong as you pay for it to happen. The obvious thing would be to wait from the buyer because if they dont get the item they will contact you. Leave well alone and see
Edited by: "Mysticaltopaz24" 21st Jun
Hope buyer is not reading this thread too...
I have had signed for items delivered to Ebay customers before without them being signed for,as the buyer has not contacted you the chances are that the item has been received.I agree with other comments that your item value was not covered by the postal service you choose,anything valued over £100 needs to be sent by next day special delivery.My advice would be to wait and see if you hear from the buyer but learn from your mistake on the postal service you choose.
sicklysweet21st Jun

Hardly Fraud, royal mail promise they will have it tracked.

buyer can come back 5 months after and say it did not come and by then royal mail wont give you the compensation and ebay will take the money back.

live a little
That's happened to me many times. Don't worry about it, only worry if the buyer contacts you.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 21st Jun
Thank you so much, as I see all comments are so helpful! I will just wait, if the buyer does not contact me, I will just let it go.
Edited by: "nbwuwd" 21st Jun
Creatish2 h, 44 m ago

Hardly Fraud, royal mail promise they will have it tracked.buyer can come …Hardly Fraud, royal mail promise they will have it tracked.buyer can come back 5 months after and say it did not come and by then royal mail wont give you the compensation and ebay will take the money back. live a little

I’ll happily live knowing I’m honest.

Claiming before you know whether it’s been delivered or not & you’re liable for a claim doesn’t sit well with me.
nbwuwd2 h, 12 m ago

Thank you so much, as I see all comments are so helpful! I will just wait, …Thank you so much, as I see all comments are so helpful! I will just wait, if the buyer does not contact me, I will just let it go.

That’s the best plan in my opinion.

Sending the buyer a message saying the tracking didn’t complete (& therefore they have the potential to claim not received) is not a good idea in my opinion (& also the opinion shared by the majority on here).
Creatish3 h, 7 m ago

Hardly Fraud, royal mail promise they will have it tracked.buyer can come …Hardly Fraud, royal mail promise they will have it tracked.buyer can come back 5 months after and say it did not come and by then royal mail wont give you the compensation and ebay will take the money back. live a little

Royal Mail hasn't promised it'll be tracked though, have they.
Creatish10 h, 1 m ago

Translation to English please?
chocci5 h, 51 m ago

Translation to English please?

English is not perfect but think you need english lessons if you can not understand that
SJHan10 h, 15 m ago

Royal Mail hasn't promised it'll be tracked though, have they.

Being a honest person gets you nothing in life, take it where you can everybody around you will be.
This happened to me a few weeks ago. If the buyer opens a case then you'll have to fill in a lost parcel form via the website. It's a lot of gaff but you'll get ur money back...eventually
machomansavage22 m ago

This happened to me a few weeks ago. If the buyer opens a case then you'll …This happened to me a few weeks ago. If the buyer opens a case then you'll have to fill in a lost parcel form via the website. It's a lot of gaff but you'll get ur money back...eventually

thanks! If the buyer open the case, I probably lose 80 quids in total, my bad that I choose signed for although I knew the maximum compensation for loss is 50pounds.

So eventually, did your customer open the case? Or it’s just because the postie forget to scan?
Creatish2 h, 48 m ago

Being a honest person gets you nothing in life, take it where you can …Being a honest person gets you nothing in life, take it where you can everybody around you will be.

What nonsense! The vast majority of people are honest. Don't excuse your dishonesty by tarring the rest of us with your despicable attitude.
Creatish2 h, 50 m ago

English is not perfect but think you need english lessons if you can not …English is not perfect but think you need english lessons if you can not understand that

2 others agree with me that your comments make little to no sense whatsoever. Maybe take your own advice and get some further education.
Just to reiterate the buyer can come back 4 months later and get money back through PayPal as tracking shows not delivered, so just claim the money from royal mail even if they don't message you. Royal mail put you in this position and they won't help you out in 4 months time
chocci55 m ago

2 others agree with me that your comments make little to no sense …2 others agree with me that your comments make little to no sense whatsoever. Maybe take your own advice and get some further education.

2 other people window lick you because you clearly have posted alot on here.
They lost lots of mine since September last year. They just give reference number
Just a thought, I assume you left feedback for the buyer's payment, why don't you send them a polite reminder to leave you feedback for the item and see what the reaction is? No need to mention the tracking issue.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 22nd Jun
nbwuwd6 h, 59 m ago

thanks! If the buyer open the case, I probably lose 80 quids in total, my …thanks! If the buyer open the case, I probably lose 80 quids in total, my bad that I choose signed for although I knew the maximum compensation for loss is 50pounds.So eventually, did your customer open the case? Or it’s just because the postie forget to scan?

Opened a case in fairness to him he gave it a while before opening it. I later thought was it actually posted through the letter box and the postman didn't ask for a signature, because there's been times where we've been sent signed for mail and post man just posts it anyway.

If you pay for a service the postman should do their job. Since this happened whenever I sell on eBay I always put under the address "DO NOT POST WITHOUT SIGNATURE" this hasn't let me down so far.

When I was told by lady it would take a month to refund me as we're still working on beginning of February I emailed the ceo of Royal Mail ( through ceo mail) and I got a cheque two days later
jaketheplumber5 h, 29 m ago

Just a thought, I assume you left feedback for the buyer's payment, why …Just a thought, I assume you left feedback for the buyer's payment, why don't you send them a polite reminder to leave you feedback for the item and see what the reaction is? No need to mention the tracking issue.

Good idea! I haven’t left my feedback, so I just leave a normal feedback to my buyer and observe his reaction : )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions