Royal mail redirection charges

Found 3rd Feb
Good morning

I'm moving soon and I've just been looking into redirecting my post.
Royal mail offer 3, 6 and 12 months redirection service and of course recommended 12 months at £66.99!

Is this really necessary if I'm cancelling my utilities and informing those companies and my bank of my new address?

I don't really get post other than a few bills that would stop once I've moved.

Thanks for any advice/tips
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
wayners1 h, 48 m ago

I changed address to parents prior to moving then to my new address after …I changed address to parents prior to moving then to my new address after I moved. Guess you could use a friend's address if they agree. Was free.. Folks moan that redirect don't work 100% of the time

It's not 100% because it's down to human error.

When chucking out mail (sorting that massive pile of mail into the individual address slots) for your given route (not every postie has a fixed route as most will already know) you are tasked to do several tasks at the same time.

So you have a newbie (or contract staff) who hasn't been properly trained on your route who is struggling to chuck out and get out the door in a reasonable time and he's supposed to remember that your particular address has a redirect attached to it which means they are supposed to check the names and if identified redirect whilst at the same time remember that 3 doors down doesn't want mailshots and all whilst doing this going through his mind (in a semi conscious state) is the thought of all those stairs he has to climb (poor sod has been given one of the worst routes and he hasn't even been told about the dogs at 14 something street, 23 something road and especially that one with the crazy lady at 76

And lets not forget the poor postie has been screwed so he's going to have to take out the 3 mailshots (for which a bonus is given) which hardly anybody reads and is an environmental disaster and he will be lucky if e gets the bonus.

So yes because humans are involved mistakes happen and redirect doesn't work 100% of the time.
Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Feb
10 Comments
I found 12 months useful as I received annual financial statements that I could have forgotten to change address along with letters/cards from friends.
Annual statements from pensions, life insurance, savings or the the folks who only send you a Xmas card in december.

An alternative is to pre print sticky labels or leave stamped addressed envelopes and ask the new owners to post all mail to you periodically.
I changed address to parents prior to moving then to my new address after I moved. Guess you could use a friend's address if they agree. Was free.. Folks moan that redirect don't work 100% of the time
Edited by: "wayners" 3rd Feb
I had no problems and used the service. There is always something you forget to change the address on, I still get post from the last two people that lived in my house. I was forwarding but now return it all to sender as it’s financial stuff and it’s been 3 years.
wayners1 h, 48 m ago

I changed address to parents prior to moving then to my new address after …I changed address to parents prior to moving then to my new address after I moved. Guess you could use a friend's address if they agree. Was free.. Folks moan that redirect don't work 100% of the time

It's not 100% because it's down to human error.

When chucking out mail (sorting that massive pile of mail into the individual address slots) for your given route (not every postie has a fixed route as most will already know) you are tasked to do several tasks at the same time.

So you have a newbie (or contract staff) who hasn't been properly trained on your route who is struggling to chuck out and get out the door in a reasonable time and he's supposed to remember that your particular address has a redirect attached to it which means they are supposed to check the names and if identified redirect whilst at the same time remember that 3 doors down doesn't want mailshots and all whilst doing this going through his mind (in a semi conscious state) is the thought of all those stairs he has to climb (poor sod has been given one of the worst routes and he hasn't even been told about the dogs at 14 something street, 23 something road and especially that one with the crazy lady at 76

And lets not forget the poor postie has been screwed so he's going to have to take out the 3 mailshots (for which a bonus is given) which hardly anybody reads and is an environmental disaster and he will be lucky if e gets the bonus.

So yes because humans are involved mistakes happen and redirect doesn't work 100% of the time.
Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Feb
3 months is good choice, my daughter used that service twice. Once u changed all your important bills etc. After three month. It will be mostly junk
@philphil61 yeah. I know all about the mail as a mate is a postman. He's wrote articles for the mail mag. Not easy job what with dog attacks. Bad customers. Routes. Ect..
I moved a year ago, like you I rarely get mail, so I didn't bother. I let all utilities to know etc.

If it is that important I will find out about it sooner or later.
The people we bought a house from only had 3 months redirection. An awful lot of mail came after the 3 months had finished. I always do it for a year, you never know what you might miss.
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 3rd Feb
dorey693rd Feb

3 months is good choice, my daughter used that service twice. Once u …3 months is good choice, my daughter used that service twice. Once u changed all your important bills etc. After three month. It will be mostly junk

I agree, doing a 3 month redirection isn't expensive and covers most of the things you may forget about. Money well spent IMO.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants