Royal Mail Special Delivery - if posted on Saturday, will it get to the destination on Monday?

Posted 3rd Dec 2021
Hi all, I’ve got a parcel that needs to get to a friend as soon as possible as he’s got a flight to catch on Tuesday morning. Initially I thought I had an extra week but he’s brought forward his departure.

I’m in East London and he’s in Carshalton. If posted via Special Delivery tomorrow will it get to him on Monday? And what is the usual cut off time on Saturday?

cheers.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
37 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Listening to what my husbands delivery office is like…. No it won’t. They are hammered
  2. Avatar
    When things were normal from memory it used to be posted by 10.30am for it to be delivered on Monday. I don't know if it's the same now.
  3. Avatar
    Regardless of the T&Cs I don't think I would rely on it at this time of the year, doubly so with covid still active. Since you're both in London can't you meet in town over the weekend to make sure he gets it?
  4. Avatar
    It depends on where you post it from, and at what time. Your best chances are if you buy online postage, and send via a Mail Centre as early in the day as possible.
  5. Avatar
    I did this just a few days ago. Posted in southwest London at 9am, delivered in Bath next afternoon.
  6. Avatar
    Informal postie chat from Oct 2020 suggests a Special Delivery item entering system via a Saturday collection will have delivery attempted on Monday.
    royalmailchat.co.uk/com…034
    Collection cut-off is whatever the last collection time is for the office accepting your item.
  7. Avatar
    Ive been using special delivery on tonnes of items for years including england to northern ireland and ive never had a single parcel not arrive the next day when posting after 4pm.
    I had one package posted in westmidlands at 5pm and delivered in belfast at 8am.
    just post it as soon as the post office opens and it will arrive monday, they get priority over everything because if it doesn't arrive they have to refund you
    Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 3rd Dec
  8. Avatar
    bozo00703/12/2021 16:55

I did this just a few days ago. Posted in southwest London at 9am, …I did this just a few days ago. Posted in southwest London at 9am, delivered in Bath next afternoon.

Sunday delivery. Impressive.
  9. Avatar
    Get it on DPD
  10. Avatar
    Or stick it in an Uber or taxi if it’s that urgent. Do it at a non busy time.
  11. Avatar
    deleted240282403/12/2021 17:04

Or stick it in an Uber or taxi if it’s that urgent. Do it at a non busy t …Or stick it in an Uber or taxi if it’s that urgent. Do it at a non busy time.

Yeah off peak time would be great. May cost you around £70
  12. Avatar
    secretmsg03/12/2021 17:07

Yeah off peak time would be great. May cost you around £70

I’ve seen people and businesses do this despite the costs….depends what the item/s are!
  13. Avatar
    deleted240282403/12/2021 17:08

I’ve seen people and businesses do this despite the costs….depends what the …I’ve seen people and businesses do this despite the costs….depends what the item/s are!

My friend left his insulin in his flat on his wedding day, so someone had to go to the flat, get the insulin and put it in a taxi to Gatwick to meet him before the they left for the honeymoon. It was, not cheap
  14. Avatar
    I wouldn't rely on it.

Also if it does arrive late & it is going to cause financial issues then you need to take out extra consequential loss cover.

Without the extra cover If it is too late then all you will get is a refund plus £10.
  15. Avatar
    Get it there for about 9am and you might get lucky. Or take it directly to the sorting office early sat morning and it should be processed
  16. Avatar
    Special delivery items get placed in a separate bag at the Post Office and get priority, as has been mentioned, in normal times the parcel would get there for Monday. Covid + Christmas good chance but wouldn't guarantee. Cut off times depend on individual Post Offices.
    If a Delivery (sorting) Office is an option, there is a better chance of delivery on Monday.
  17. Avatar
    What's the point of a special delivery if they can't even manage to get it there in that amount of time.Snail mail more like!
  18. Avatar
    AndyRoyd03/12/2021 16:59

Sunday delivery. Impressive.

And how did you deduce that? "A few days ago" was earlier this week, not last Saturday.
  19. Avatar
    bozo00703/12/2021 18:27

And how did you deduce that? "A few days ago" was earlier this week, not …And how did you deduce that? "A few days ago" was earlier this week, not last Saturday.

Because you said "I did this" and the subject is Saturday posting and you said "delivered in Bath next afternoon"
  20. Avatar
    I've posted quite a few bits with Special Delivery on a Saturday and they have all arrived on the Monday
  21. Avatar
    Author
    Alexandralocks03/12/2021 18:30

I've posted quite a few bits with Special Delivery on a Saturday and they …I've posted quite a few bits with Special Delivery on a Saturday and they have all arrived on the Monday

Was that recently?
    Edited by: "AppStar" 3rd Dec
  22. Avatar
    Author
    Alexandralocks03/12/2021 21:13

Yes last weekend

Does posting first thing on Saturday morning make a difference in your opinion? Or it’s all about dropping it off before the collection time?
    Edited by: "AppStar" 3rd Dec
  23. Avatar
    AppStar03/12/2021 21:17

Does posting first thing on Saturday morning make a difference in your …Does posting first thing on Saturday morning make a difference in your opinion? Or it’s all about dropping it off before the collection time?

I think the last collection time on a saturday is 12:30 don't think it will make a difference but I usually send it in the morning.
  24. Avatar
    AppStar03/12/2021 21:17

Does posting first thing on Saturday morning make a difference in your …Does posting first thing on Saturday morning make a difference in your opinion? Or it’s all about dropping it off before the collection time?

They will only have one collection time, despite what some people are saying, it will sit in the post office until it's collected, so if the collection time is 12.00 then posting it at 9am or 11.45am won't make the slightest difference.

Willy_Wonka03/12/2021 17:21

I wouldn't rely on it. Also if it does arrive late & it is going to cause …I wouldn't rely on it. Also if it does arrive late & it is going to cause financial issues then you need to take out extra consequential loss cover.Without the extra cover If it is too late then all you will get is a refund plus £10.

Don't think that will help in this case as the guaranteed delivery date will be Tuesday.

OP what time is he leaving Tuesday, you can pay for before 9am delivery which might help.
  25. Avatar
    Author
    julieallen03/12/2021 22:06

They will only have one collection time, despite what some people are …They will only have one collection time, despite what some people are saying, it will sit in the post office until it's collected, so if the collection time is 12.00 then posting it at 9am or 11.45am won't make the slightest difference.Don't think that will help in this case as the guaranteed delivery date will be Tuesday.OP what time is he leaving Tuesday, you can pay for before 9am delivery which might help.

Early Tuesday morning so it will have to be delivered on Monday. If they don’t deliver on Monday will they return the parcel to the sender??
  26. Avatar
    AppStar03/12/2021 22:20

Early Tuesday morning so it will have to be delivered on Monday. If they …Early Tuesday morning so it will have to be delivered on Monday. If they don’t deliver on Monday will they return the parcel to the sender??

It will be sent back to the sorting office and held for him to collect then sent back when he doesn't.
    There is a good chance it will arrive Monday though as long as you post it before the collection time.
  27. Avatar
    julieallen03/12/2021 22:06

They will only have one collection time, despite what some people are …They will only have one collection time, despite what some people are saying, it will sit in the post office until it's collected, so if the collection time is 12.00 then posting it at 9am or 11.45am won't make the slightest difference.Don't think that will help in this case as the guaranteed delivery date will be Tuesday.OP what time is he leaving Tuesday, you can pay for before 9am delivery which might help.

If you post Special Delivery on a Saturday before 11am (last collection) at an operating Post Office it is supposed to be delivered Monday.
    Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 3rd Dec
  28. Avatar
    Willy_Wonka03/12/2021 22:23

If you post Special Delivery on a Saturday before 11am (last collection) …If you post Special Delivery on a Saturday before 11am (last collection) at an operating Post Office it is supposed to be delivered Monday.

ah has that changed? I used to post a lot of phones special delivery and was always told at the post office (different ones too) that the guaranteed day was Tuesday, although almost all arrived on the Monday.
  29. Avatar
    julieallen03/12/2021 22:50

ah has that changed? I used to post a lot of phones special delivery and …ah has that changed? I used to post a lot of phones special delivery and was always told at the post office (different ones too) that the guaranteed day was Tuesday, although almost all arrived on the Monday.

Depends on their last collection time on the Saturday. Has to be a proper Post Office or Sorting Hub.

Just read the Royal Mail website & said as long as it is 1 hour before last collection time within post office opening hours on a Saturday.

Probably best the OP goes to the local hub first thing in the morning to get a better chance. They will find out & can ask then. Nothing else they can do.

Don't know when it came in. All I know is I have done it before but they wouldn't let me buy guaranteed before 9 delivery for whatever reason.
  30. Avatar
    Willy_Wonka03/12/2021 23:04

Depends on their last collection time on the Saturday. Has to be a proper …Depends on their last collection time on the Saturday. Has to be a proper Post Office or Sorting Hub.Just read the Royal Mail website & said as long as it is 1 hour before last collection time within post office opening hours on a Saturday.Probably best the OP goes to the local hub first thing in the morning to get a better chance. They will find out & can ask then. Nothing else they can do. Don't know when it came in. All I know is I have done it before but they wouldn't let me buy guaranteed before 9 delivery for whatever reason.

It doesn't actually say on the RM website (probably buried in the T&C's). They do seem to say Saturday is classed as a working day in some places, but others it clearly states Mon - Fri
  31. Avatar
    julieallen03/12/2021 23:09

It doesn't actually say on the RM website (probably buried in the T&C's). …It doesn't actually say on the RM website (probably buried in the T&C's). They do seem to say Saturday is classed as a working day in some places, but others it clearly states Mon - Fri

They have a section on questions & answers. I found the royal mail page link via google.
  32. Avatar
    I'm a postie and where I live the post office usually has a last collection around 11.30 on a Saturday so as long as your there a good half hour before to make sure. They also prioritise Special delivery's over normal mail so even if a round doesn't go out on Monday the Specials and collections will always have to be done by someone.
  33. Avatar
    c_mmxx03/12/2021 16:49

Since you're both in London can't you meet in town over the weekend to …Since you're both in London can't you meet in town over the weekend to make sure he gets it?

This. If it's important, half an hour each person on a bus meet for a coffee and half and hour back again.
  34. Avatar
    Did it get there then?
  35. Avatar
    Author
    Alexandralocks06/12/2021 21:10

Did it get there then?

Yes, it amazingly did, despite potential delays due to Covid. He received the parcel just before lunchtime on Monday. All hail the postage gods at the Royal Mail
    Edited by: "AppStar" 3 m ago
  36. Avatar
    Author
    Just an update for everybody in this thread. The parcel was posted at 10am on Saturday morning and was delivered before lunchtime on Monday. I’ve always had faith in the Royal Mail but wasn’t sure about the impact of Covid. It looks like they’re pretty well organised to still deliver on schedule with their special delivery.

i hope this thread helps anyone who needs to send something urgently on Saturday for delivery on a Monday. Thanks for all the feedback
Post a comment
Top Merchants