Royal Mail unofficial redirection

Found 8th Aug
I know you can pay to have your own post redirected for a period of time (and have done it for our post after our moving) but I got a letter from the council addressed to the landlord at this address and various letters from EON and obviously need them to get to him.
I have his address on the tenancy agreement.

Can I just write "Please redirect to and his address" and put them in a postbox or that won't work? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I used to give them to the estate agents for them to deal with
cross off the address on the envelope. write in big letters, 'addressee moved away. please forward to ...'

this normally gets to him but royal mail may just bin them so if you don't care whether they get to him or not. if you do care, then you need to pay for postage.
It does work. We have received letters this way from old addresses after moving. (We left printed labels for the next occupants to use after the paid for redirect ended). Alternatively, just tell your landlord and they could collect the letters, rather than risk losing them.
Edited by: "andersh" 8th Aug
mutley19 m ago

cross off the address on the envelope. write in big letters, 'addressee …cross off the address on the envelope. write in big letters, 'addressee moved away. please forward to ...'this normally gets to him but royal mail may just bin them so if you don't care whether they get to him or not. if you do care, then you need to pay for postage.

I wouldn't care too much but if it is something related to council tax I think it's important that it gets to him... don't fancy having my new landlord prosecuted as it could affect us lol.

I'll probably repost the council tax letter with proper postage and do a redirection for the others...
Edited by: "hearts22" 8th Aug
As long as you don't change the name of the addressee, and only the new address it should be fine.
Changing the name incurs a surcharge because it is no longer going to the person it was paid to get to.
However saying that forwarding in this way doesn't apply to business mail, so because it is addressed to the landlord it may get pulled up.

Hope this helps.

Btw I'm a postie
Edited by: "BC7T" 8th Aug
hearts2238 m ago

I wouldn't care too much but if it is something related to council tax I …I wouldn't care too much but if it is something related to council tax I think it's important that it gets to him... don't fancy having my new landlord prosecuted as it could affect us lol.I'll probably repost the council tax letter with proper postage and do a redirection for the others...

I wouldn't waste the stamp. Put 'return to sender, addressee moved away', this way the council knows he has moved and won't continue to send letters there.
Get a big, self seal plastic envelope. Stick a week's worth, or two, of pay in it and put it in a letter box without a stamp and a letter asking him to change his address or get his mail redirected. He will get a card saying there is a package, which he will have to go and collect - and pay for it.
I redirect all letters to the previous owner to the bin!
Same with tv licence and junk mail.
I work for Royal Mail - putting them back in box with ‘moved’ is sufficient. As long as there is a return address we send it on.
gcmarcal8th Aug

I redirect all letters to the previous owner to the bin! Same with tv …I redirect all letters to the previous owner to the bin! Same with tv licence and junk mail.

I tried putting back in post box, informing royal mail online and telling the neighbours/giving them the post_-read on to see why! Didn't work. The neighbours daughter had used my address then moved away to a city and the neighbours didn't know exactly where. I get fed up and now put some of her letters in the recycling bin.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants