Royal Mail UV Franking

Found 13th Sep 2013
Thought this was kinda' cool. I was wondering why my letters and stuff weren't franked with ink anymore. Tried shining a UV light on them and look what I found.

They're invisibly franked. How cool is that.

People use to reuse stamps that passed through the franking process by using an iron and sticking them back on or selling em' on eBay.
Community Updates
15 Comments
Original Poster
http://oi43.tinypic.com/r0w9bo.jpg
Banned
Are you sure that's franking? It just looks like the stamp design to me
Banned
Confirmed, it's not franking. It's to prevent forgery of stamps.

Pheww
Original Poster
hukdealz

Confirmed, it's not franking. It's to prevent forgery of stamps.Pheww

Really? I doubt it'd be that hard to just put a layer of uv ink over it.

I was reading some post on eBay and the seller was saying that he was using unfranked stamps and that Royal Mail were asking his customers to pay extra for delivery. So there must be a way they're finding it.
KM4353

Nothing on tv tonight? ;-)
Original Poster
ktm666

Don't really watch TV tbh. I stream most of my stuff.
ktm666

Erm, if thats her in the Avatar, I think she's out out most of the time...
That's just the phosphorus strip.
The main way they stop you reusing them is that it is very difficult to keep the stamp intact when unsticking it.
KM4353

Interesting, but I don't think that's a UV mark. It looks like just a strip, if it was a UV mark; wouldn't they put some kind of Royal Mail logo/emblem on it instead?
that strip is there when you buy brand new from the shop you can see it in certain light don't believe me go buy a brand new stamp and shine your uv light over it
Franking has useful info like when and where the letter was sent from. If RM are too lazy to frank the letter they don't deserve to be paid for delivering it.
Banned
larrylightweight

that strip is there when you buy brand new from the shop you can see it … that strip is there when you buy brand new from the shop you can see it in certain light don't believe me go buy a brand new stamp and shine your uv light over it

Agreed
if you look real close at the stamp they are becoming tamper proof look at those punched holes down the sides designed to come apart when stamp is pulled back off the paper just like they have on cds and games, it cuts out the middle man ie franking meaning RM saves money i think it will go this way
larrylightweight

if you look real close at the stamp they are becoming tamper proof look … if you look real close at the stamp they are becoming tamper proof look at those punched holes down the sides designed to come apart when stamp is pulled back off the paper just like they have on cds and games, it cuts out the middle man ie franking meaning RM saves money i think it will go this way

So people just cut it out from the envelope and glue it to another.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants