RoyalMail say item has been delivered but i've not received item

Found 5th Nov 2015
Hi all

I'm sure this has happened to others i just want to know which party is responsible.

I ordered an item from ebay, it didnt arrive before i went away so presumed i'd have to collect it from sorting office when i got back. However when i got back no note had been left through my door and checking the tracking it said, 'Delivered no signature'

I've checked with my neighbours and they've not taken it in, my local sorting office also don't have any parcels for me(so they say, they were quite unhelpful as i didn't have 'we missed you card'). I've even checked behind the bins and over my fence and nothing.

It's not a high value item only £20ish.

In short who is responsible do i have to chase RM or should the seller and issue a refund if lost in the post? As the customer i don't i should have to do all the leg work?
Community Updates
50 Comments
Not sure on the rest but it's nothing to do with the seller. As far as they're concerned, it's been delivered.
If it was sent signed for or tracked service a signature is required
Id get on to royal mail who will chase it
They will tell you where it was delivered or left
Check your bins, our postman will sign for stuff and leave it in safe boxes, garden boxes and recycling boxes, I don't mind as it saves me the trip
Bradleigh

If it was sent signed for or tracked service a signature is requiredId … If it was sent signed for or tracked service a signature is requiredId get on to royal mail who will chase itThey will tell you where it was delivered or left

Tracked can be sent with or without requiring a signature.
royal mail would be responsible as they will need to prove they delivered the item and that it was delivered to the correct address. contact the seller and ask him to raise a dispute with royal mail. you should also raise a dispute yourself.
Original Poster
Ok cheers, yeah i have raised a dispute with eBay, and understand its not the sellers fault.
I think it is the sellers fault. The buyer doesn't have the item. Up to the seller to chase it up. They don't negate responsibility because they posted it.
benjammin316

I think it is the sellers fault. The buyer doesn't have the item. Up to … I think it is the sellers fault. The buyer doesn't have the item. Up to the seller to chase it up. They don't negate responsibility because they posted it.

​If the seller sent it as tracked and its showing delivered how is it the seller's fault? This is RMs mistake not the seller's as they've done everything correctly.
Should have been sent with a signature required - anything else the seller is leaving themselves open to a dispute.
adhkarzf

​If the seller sent it as tracked and its showing delivered how is it the … ​If the seller sent it as tracked and its showing delivered how is it the seller's fault? This is RMs mistake not the seller's as they've done everything correctly.

But the buyer still doesn't have the goods.
Yes it might say it's delivered but to where? Ask royal mail to see where it has supposedly been delivered to and ask seller for proof of address it was posted to. In my eyes it's the seller's responsibility still. I had a recorded delivery package the other day, the package wS put through my door. I checked the tracking and it had been signed as though I had taken delivery.
I'd ring RM too as they can see more information than you.

Did the seller send you the tracking number?
benjammin316

But the buyer still doesn't have the goods.

​so if you post something and send it tracked but the delivery service fail to deliver and say it has been delivered do you expect to take the fall for that? for all the seller knows the person they posted it to has it as that's what the delivery service is saying. In your opinion the seller loses out twice if they send out a replacement. frustrating for the buyer if they haven't received the goods but again this is the company who delivers fault not the seller or buyers unless buyer is being dishonest (not implying you're being dishonest op).
which service via RM is tracked but doesn't need a signature?
adhkarzf

royalmail.com/cor…ked
deb8z

http://www.royalmail.com/corporate/sending-receiving/uk/royal-mail-tracked

​Thanks I didn't know of that you learn something new everyday.
adhkarzf

​Thanks I didn't know of that you learn something new everyday.

That's what "tracked " is,it's tracked to your door & not always with a signature,but as in this case it looks like it's been tracked to the wrong door oO
*Sloman*

Ok cheers, yeah i have raised a dispute with eBay, and understand its not … Ok cheers, yeah i have raised a dispute with eBay, and understand its not the sellers fault.

Have you been in contact with the seller? I hate it when people open disputes without asking me anything first
adhkarzf

​so if you post something and send it tracked but the delivery service f … ​so if you post something and send it tracked but the delivery service fail to deliver and say it has been delivered do you expect to take the fall for that? for all the seller knows the person they posted it to has it as that's what the delivery service is saying. In your opinion the seller loses out twice if they send out a replacement. frustrating for the buyer if they haven't received the goods but again this is the company who delivers fault not the seller or buyers unless buyer is being dishonest (not implying you're being dishonest op).

​It actually is seller responsibility as the seller is the one who made a contract with RM and needs to make a claim against them. Due to the fact it is stated as delivered without signature/proof the seller should issue a replacement (if not a one off auction) and claim compensation for the missing one or at minimal get onto royal mail where they can speak to the post man etc and RM will likely admit fault if delivered when no one was at home rather than being returned to a secure sorting office. A safe place is only safe when the house holder has made a verbal agreement with the post man ( i.e. stick parcels in the shed/porch/bin if no answer ) which clearly isn't the case.

Tracked items shouldn't just be abandoned I always have issues when Asos decide to use hermes and they will say they delivered it and sign for it their self! Asos will immediately send a replacement or refund. It works the same whether you sell one item or a few hundred thousand items. Sellers on eBay also need to replace or refund if posted without any tracking as if a buyer makes a claim eBay will refund them anyway.
NickyOhMG

​It actually is seller responsibility as the seller is the one who made a … ​It actually is seller responsibility as the seller is the one who made a contract with RM and needs to make a claim against them. Due to the fact it is stated as delivered without signature/proof the seller should issue a replacement (if not a one off auction) and claim compensation for the missing one or at minimal get onto royal mail where they can speak to the post man etc and RM will likely admit fault if delivered when no one was at home rather than being returned to a secure sorting office. A safe place is only safe when the house holder has made a verbal agreement with the post man ( i.e. stick parcels in the shed/porch/bin if no answer ) which clearly isn't the case. Tracked items shouldn't just be abandoned I always have issues when Asos decide to use hermes and they will say they delivered it and sign for it their self! Asos will immediately send a replacement or refund. It works the same whether you sell one item or a few hundred thousand items. Sellers on eBay also need to replace or refund if posted without any tracking as if a buyer makes a claim eBay will refund them anyway.

​I'm not disputing that the seller needs to contact to delivery service but the point I'm making is that there's no proof that the buyer didn't receive it so it's their word against the delivery service's word. a big company can easily afford to send out a replacement a small seller may not be able to take such a hit. As long as they contact the delivery service to find out what's happened they shouldn't be liable for a replacement asos is probably sending out a replacement as a good will gesture as again its not asos not delivering it they have proof they've sent it if the postie is being dishonest they can't control that.

best thing is contact the seller and get them to contact RM and try and work towards an amicable solution if RM isn't helpful.

my passports were sent to the wrong address because the courier guy can't read door numbers doesn't mean the passport office did anything wrong. although I expect them to contact the delivery service to find out what happened. Instead they made me call the courier service to find out where my passport is. As I paid extra for secure delivery.

either way I hope you get either a replacement or your money back op as most sellers rely on good feedback so will usually try and sort the situation out.
stuarthanley

Tracked can be sent with or without requiring a signature.

Then royal mail will know where it is if it was sent either way
Original Poster
adhkarzf

​I'm not disputing that the seller needs to contact to delivery service b … ​I'm not disputing that the seller needs to contact to delivery service but the point I'm making is that there's no proof that the buyer didn't receive it so it's their word against the delivery service's word. a big company can easily afford to send out a replacement a small seller may not be able to take such a hit. As long as they contact the delivery service to find out what's happened they shouldn't be liable for a replacement asos is probably sending out a replacement as a good will gesture as again its not asos not delivering it they have proof they've sent it if the postie is being dishonest they can't control that. best thing is contact the seller and get them to contact RM and try and work towards an amicable solution if RM isn't helpful. my passports were sent to the wrong address because the courier guy can't read door numbers doesn't mean the passport office did anything wrong. although I expect them to contact the delivery service to find out what happened. Instead they made me call the courier service to find out where my passport is. As I paid extra for secure delivery.either way I hope you get either a replacement or your money back op as most sellers rely on good feedback so will usually try and sort the situation out.

This is why i feel bad for the ebay seller, i've 100% feedback and regularly buy off ebay etc so hopefully he will see i'm not trying to pull a fast one. Also its only £20 so its not like an xbox or something high value.
*Sloman*

This is why i feel bad for the ebay seller, i've 100% feedback and … This is why i feel bad for the ebay seller, i've 100% feedback and regularly buy off ebay etc so hopefully he will see i'm not trying to pull a fast one. Also its only £20 so its not like an xbox or something high value.

Did you contact the seller before opening a case?
Bradleigh

Then royal mail will know where it is if it was sent either way

Correct. And RM have already told the op it's been delivered.
NickyOhMG

​It actually is seller responsibility as the seller is the one who made a … ​It actually is seller responsibility as the seller is the one who made a contract with RM and needs to make a claim against them. Due to the fact it is stated as delivered without signature/proof the seller should issue a replacement (if not a one off auction) and claim compensation for the missing one or at minimal get onto royal mail where they can speak to the post man etc and RM will likely admit fault if delivered when no one was at home rather than being returned to a secure sorting office. A safe place is only safe when the house holder has made a verbal agreement with the post man ( i.e. stick parcels in the shed/porch/bin if no answer ) which clearly isn't the case. Tracked items shouldn't just be abandoned I always have issues when Asos decide to use hermes and they will say they delivered it and sign for it their self! Asos will immediately send a replacement or refund. It works the same whether you sell one item or a few hundred thousand items. Sellers on eBay also need to replace or refund if posted without any tracking as if a buyer makes a claim eBay will refund them anyway.

If the item was sent tracked but didn't require a signature and RM have stated that it has been delivered and it has been scanned as delivered then what can the seller do about it? The seller will contact RM. RM will tell them that the item has been delivered at xx:xx time on xx date and that'll be as much as the seller can or needs to do. There is no point the seller sending a replacement or issuing a refund as they have fulfilled their end of the contract.
AberdeenDad

Should have been sent with a signature required - anything else the … Should have been sent with a signature required - anything else the seller is leaving themselves open to a dispute.

adhkarzf

Tracked can either be "signature" or "no signature". I deliver tracked parcels every day and 90% of them do not require a signature.
stuarthanley

If the item was sent tracked but didn't require a signature and RM have … If the item was sent tracked but didn't require a signature and RM have stated that it has been delivered and it has been scanned as delivered then what can the seller do about it? The seller will contact RM. RM will tell them that the item has been delivered at xx:xx time on xx date and that'll be as much as the seller can or needs to do. There is no point the seller sending a replacement or issuing a refund as they have fulfilled their end of the contract.

As long as the seller sent the correct tracking number,we're assuming the parcel was delivered from the OP's local delivery office on the tracking info,it's a bit silly that the tracking doesn't actually tell you online where it was delivered to though
deb8z

As long as the seller sent the correct tracking number,we're assuming the … As long as the seller sent the correct tracking number,we're assuming the parcel was delivered from the OP's local delivery office on the tracking info,it's a bit silly that the tracking doesn't actually tell you online where it was delivered to though

Tracking without a signature has slightly more traceability than just putting a stamp on it. You can see where it was received as far as RM but when it gets to an address, it is scanned and handed to the resident or pushed through the door. This will say that it has been delivered to the address marked on the package. If that parcel has been pushed through the wrong door or even the wrong street, it won't give this information.

As a seller, I will see that the item has been delivered at the correct address. As a seller, that would be as much as I needed to do to fulfill my side of the contract. If the seller approaches RM about it, RM's records will show that the item has been delivered so that is as much info as RM will give to the seller.

I know it doesn't help the situation and it doesn't locate a "missing" parcel.
AberdeenDad

Should have been sent with a signature required - anything else the … Should have been sent with a signature required - anything else the seller is leaving themselves open to a dispute.

adhkarzf

​I was just asking which of their services which is tracked but doesn't need a signature. turns out it's only available to people who post a lot of items. deb8z answered that kindly
stuarthanley

As mentioned before , I'd be contacting royal mail to where it was delivered
Bradleigh

As mentioned before , I'd be contacting royal mail to where it was … As mentioned before , I'd be contacting royal mail to where it was delivered

RM will only say it's been delivered to the address that it was sent to. It doesn't give any sort of geo-tracking or GPS. If the parcel was delivered to an address 6 streets away, RM will still only have the intended address on record.
As I said earlier in the thread, Tracked mail is little more than knowing where your parcel is within the system at any given time. It's scanned in and out at each point but if Mr Postman has scanned it at the point of delivery, it'll only say that it's been delivered.
Original Poster
stuarthanley

​i did, and they said the same it been delivered according to tracking
Original Poster
stuarthanley

RM will only say it's been delivered to the address that it was sent to. … RM will only say it's been delivered to the address that it was sent to. It doesn't give any sort of geo-tracking or GPS. If the parcel was delivered to an address 6 streets away, RM will still only have the intended address on record. As I said earlier in the thread, Tracked mail is little more than knowing where your parcel is within the system at any given time. It's scanned in and out at each point but if Mr Postman has scanned it at the point of delivery, it'll only say that it's been delivered.

​thanks for the info, from all your posts
stuarthanley

RM will only say it's been delivered to the address that it was sent to. … RM will only say it's been delivered to the address that it was sent to. It doesn't give any sort of geo-tracking or GPS. If the parcel was delivered to an address 6 streets away, RM will still only have the intended address on record. As I said earlier in the thread, Tracked mail is little more than knowing where your parcel is within the system at any given time. It's scanned in and out at each point but if Mr Postman has scanned it at the point of delivery, it'll only say that it's been delivered.

Utter rubbish
Bradleigh

Utter rubbish

If you say so.

So when I deliver, on a daily basis, 25 tracked parcels that don't require a signature.... RM keeps a log of which address it's been delivered to?
Edited by: "SJHan" 5th Nov 2015
stuarthanley

If you say so.So when I deliver, on a daily basis, 25 tracked parcels … If you say so.So when I deliver, on a daily basis, 25 tracked parcels that don't require a signature.... RM keeps a log of which address it's been delivered to?

It's a shame the tracking doesn't say delivered to & then the address,the seller in this case could have made a typo in the address or anything & there's no way to check,I'm wondering what Ebay will do now........
stuarthanley

If you say so.So when I deliver, on a daily basis, 25 tracked parcels … If you say so.So when I deliver, on a daily basis, 25 tracked parcels that don't require a signature.... RM keeps a log of which address it's been delivered to?

I had a tracked parcel delivered to a wrong address
Seller put badly written house number
On contacting royal mail and waiting I was told where the parcel was
I don't know how the system works but I got my parcel and posted from my experience
Amazing eh and I'm not a postie
Bradleigh

I had a tracked parcel delivered to a wrong addressSeller put badly … I had a tracked parcel delivered to a wrong addressSeller put badly written house numberOn contacting royal mail and waiting I was told where the parcel wasI don't know how the system works but I got my parcel and posted from my experienceAmazing eh and I'm not a postie

Only because the recipient reported/returned it to RM. If I leave a parcel with your neighbour and your neighbour denies it, RM are not going to be able to say the parcel was left at number 25 or whatever.... But thanks for disagreeing with me AND admitting you don't know how the system works
Edited by: "SJHan" 5th Nov 2015
What's with all the edits
Obviously neither of us know how the system works and you supposedly work for them
Tbh your boring me so please have the last say as you have parcels to deliver tomorrow
RM told me where the parcel was
Time and date of delivery hence why it's tracked
Why on earth would I make that up
Think the op needs to contact rm and see
Over to you ..........
I was thinking that's odd as RM aren't going to say oh yes we delivered it to the wrong address & send a postie round to retrieve it X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants