RSPCA behaving hypocritically

Found 21st Mar
RSPCA (England & Wales) don't like been told their staff feel it's not in the job description to keep up with current animal laws. Shocking that animals are being put in danger and owners given the wrong information because their staff can't be bothered to keep up to date with the laws they're otherwise keen to enforce. I guess the "defence" we didn't know any better applies to them and no one else.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
bethesdamse14 m ago

Ok, people look to this organisation for advice, they cannot give the …Ok, people look to this organisation for advice, they cannot give the correct advice if they don't keep up to date with the law. The RSPCA take people to court for mistreating animals but how legit is it if the staff aren't fully knowledgeable?

How legit? The RSPCA existed for five years before the first recognised Police Force within England.

They are the largest & oldest animal welfare organisation in the world.

Was it just one employee that was not aware the law had changed? Was this employee simply answering calls, or an RSPCA Inspector? Was this information in written form, or verbal advice over the telephone?

I expect it is just a lack of training.

I also expect that you can single-out an employee within any organisation who does not know every aspect of that organisation's business.

(PS. My comments within this thread so far have been "under review" before being allowed to be posted for visibility by a wider audience)
Edited by: "fanpages" 21st Mar
19 Comments
Do you have a link?
@bethesdamse

"RSPCA (England & Wales) don't like been told their staff feel it's not in the job description to keep up with current animal laws. Shocking that animals are being put in danger and owners given the wrong information because their staff can't be bothered to keep up to date with the laws they're otherwise keen to enforce. I guess the "defence" we didn't know any better applies to them and no one else."

The RSPCA, their Inspectors, or any of the organisation's employees may caution somebody but they do not enforce the law; that is not in their remit.
Predikuesi9 m ago

Do you have a link?

No, they were asked over messenger for advice about a neighbour encouraging his dog to chase cats. The RSPCA staff didn't realise the law changed 2 years ago so an owner can now be taken to court as they would be allowing their dog to behave dangerously.

gov.uk/con…lic
fanpages7 m ago

@bethesdamse "RSPCA (England & Wales) don't like been told their staff …@bethesdamse "RSPCA (England & Wales) don't like been told their staff feel it's not in the job description to keep up with current animal laws. Shocking that animals are being put in danger and owners given the wrong information because their staff can't be bothered to keep up to date with the laws they're otherwise keen to enforce. I guess the "defence" we didn't know any better applies to them and no one else."The RSPCA, their Inspectors, or any of the organisation's employees may caution somebody but they do not enforce the law; that is not in their remit.

Ok, people look to this organisation for advice, they cannot give the correct advice if they don't keep up to date with the law. The RSPCA take people to court for mistreating animals but how legit is it if the staff aren't fully knowledgeable?
bethesdamse14 m ago

Ok, people look to this organisation for advice, they cannot give the …Ok, people look to this organisation for advice, they cannot give the correct advice if they don't keep up to date with the law. The RSPCA take people to court for mistreating animals but how legit is it if the staff aren't fully knowledgeable?

How legit? The RSPCA existed for five years before the first recognised Police Force within England.

They are the largest & oldest animal welfare organisation in the world.

Was it just one employee that was not aware the law had changed? Was this employee simply answering calls, or an RSPCA Inspector? Was this information in written form, or verbal advice over the telephone?

I expect it is just a lack of training.

I also expect that you can single-out an employee within any organisation who does not know every aspect of that organisation's business.

(PS. My comments within this thread so far have been "under review" before being allowed to be posted for visibility by a wider audience)
Edited by: "fanpages" 21st Mar
bethesdamse1 h, 21 m ago

No, they were asked over messenger for advice about a neighbour …No, they were asked over messenger for advice about a neighbour encouraging his dog to chase cats. The RSPCA staff didn't realise the law changed 2 years ago so an owner can now be taken to court as they would be allowing their dog to behave dangerously.https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

Is the dog attacking those cats, or just chasing them?
OP. Many thanks for updating my knowledge on this. I have a neighbour who always leave his dog off his lead. I was once stuck in my flat as I dare not go out side as he was barking outside like a lunatic. I don’t like noisey dogs and keep away. Next time this happens will probably call 101 and probably RSPCA (hesitantly)
deleted265520
pricesavvy2 m ago

OP. Many thanks for updating my knowledge on this. I have a neighbour who …OP. Many thanks for updating my knowledge on this. I have a neighbour who always leave his dog off his lead. I was once stuck in my flat as I dare not go out side as he was barking outside like a lunatic. I don’t like noisey dogs and keep away. Next time this happens will probably call 101 and probably RSPCA (hesitantly)

You'll call the police because of a dog barking?
What a drain on an already drained service.
DT8921st Mar

You'll call the police because of a dog barking?What a drain on an already …You'll call the police because of a dog barking?What a drain on an already drained service.

It’s still antisocial behaviour from the owner. Let alone more importantly the call of complaint is logged
@bethesdamse You shouldn't criticise the whole agency/business/department/charity on the basis of one employee

Recently I was admitted to A&E and the ambulance crew and all but 2 (one contract) nursing staff/medical professionals did a fantastic job. I don't like hospitals FULL STOP but I didn't criticise the whole of the NHS for the failing of 2. I contacted PALS and voiced my concerns/issues which were duly noted and they agreed that what I had witnessed/suffered was unacceptable.

How often have you gone shopping at your regular store to be met by a baddun yet most likely you'll return to that same store.

Maybe you should contact the RSPCA and ask that the person you spoke to be informed of their mistake - we are all human (well most of us) and therefore occasionally we make mistakes.

As for the change in law
I doubt much will change because we must protect (with their Human Rights) those who want to cause burden/heartache/suffering more than the innocent victims and convictions will be minimal and and punishment meagre (is that the right word? apologises I'm a little tired) thereby not being a deterrent.
pricesavvy2 h, 22 m ago

It’s still antisocial behaviour from the owner. Let alone more importantly …It’s still antisocial behaviour from the owner. Let alone more importantly the call of complaint is logged

I gave up on the RSPCA after someone in our street left their dog out all night it barked from 10pm when put out until 8am the following morning, went on for years. Spoke to neighbour who got aggressive would take it in at night for a few weeks and it would all start again. He said his dog wouldn’t do that even when number of us complained. Council no good wanted to put machines in our house but didn’t have the funding, called the RSPCA who told me as it had shelter it was looked after, and as it was looked after there was nothing they could do. They said that just because it barked for 10 hours nearly solidly was not something they would look at, just because a dog is unhappy doesn’t mean it’s not looked after. Spoke to a manger and got the same response and with that lost all respect for them.
fanpages3 h, 55 m ago

How legit? The RSPCA existed for five years before the first recognised …How legit? The RSPCA existed for five years before the first recognised Police Force within England.They are the largest & oldest animal welfare organisation in the world.Was it just one employee that was not aware the law had changed? Was this employee simply answering calls, or an RSPCA Inspector? Was this information in written form, or verbal advice over the telephone?I expect it is just a lack of training.I also expect that you can single-out an employee within any organisation who does not know every aspect of that organisation's business.(PS. My comments within this thread so far have been "under review" before being allowed to be posted for visibility by a wider audience)

The RSPCA don't have a great reputation for a wide number of reasons, especially with other animal charities. The RSPCA would be about the last animal charity I would go to for help should I need it. I'm not sure it is just singling out one employee. The way the organisation conducts itself as a whole leaves a lot to be desired.

They were also recently asking for more powers. They want the right to enter private houses and seize animals, without police supervision:

independent.co.uk/new…tml

So yes, if they want these extra powers, they should most certainly be up to date with current law.
bethesdamse4 h, 22 m ago

fanpages4 h, 9 m ago

How legit? The RSPCA existed for five years before the first recognised …How legit? The RSPCA existed for five years before the first recognised Police Force within England.They are the largest & oldest animal welfare organisation in the world.Was it just one employee that was not aware the law had changed? Was this employee simply answering calls, or an RSPCA Inspector? Was this information in written form, or verbal advice over the telephone?I expect it is just a lack of training.I also expect that you can single-out an employee within any organisation who does not know every aspect of that organisation's business.(PS. My comments within this thread so far have been "under review" before being allowed to be posted for visibility by a wider audience)

MSK.14 m ago

The RSPCA don't have a great reputation for a wide number of reasons, …The RSPCA don't have a great reputation for a wide number of reasons, especially with other animal charities. The RSPCA would be about the last animal charity I would go to for help should I need it. I'm not sure it is just singling out one employee. The way the organisation conducts itself as a whole leaves a lot to be desired.They were also recently asking for more powers. They want the right to enter private houses and seize animals, without police supervision:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rspca-government-powers-private-property-remove-pets-defra-england-wales-a7830176.htmlSo yes, if they want these extra powers, they should most certainly be up to date with current law.

Until the original poster returns (other than just "liking" your comment) & offers some information we can work with, we won't know either way.

The only contact I have had with the charity is visiting RSPCA shelters to re-home animals.

I did not have any problem with them, their knowledge, nor their attitude.
fanpages11 m ago

Until the original poster returns (other than just "liking" your comment) …Until the original poster returns (other than just "liking" your comment) & offers some information we can work with, we won't know either way.The only contact I have had with the charity is visiting RSPCA shelters to re-home animals.I did not have any problem with them, their knowledge, nor their attitude.

My experience is on the other end of the spectrum to yours. I have not adopted an animal for quite some time. I don't like things they have done as an organisation in the recent past. I wouldn't say I have a problem with them, but I am wary of them.

Whenever I or people I am friends with have had need to call on them, I can't recall a situation where they have ever been able to help. There's always a reason why they can't or won't. Going to them on their own territory is may be a different affair.
MSK.5 m ago

My experience is on the other end of the spectrum to yours. I have not …My experience is on the other end of the spectrum to yours. I have not adopted an animal for quite some time. I don't like things they have done as an organisation in the recent past. I wouldn't say I have a problem with them, but I am wary of them. Whenever I or people I am friends with have had need to call on them, I can't recall a situation where they have ever been able to help. There's always a reason why they can't or won't. Going to them on their own territory is may be a different affair.

Yes, I suspect it is like a lot of today's culture in that "health & safety" concerns get in the way of good people trying to do a good job, but they cannot (or will not) because of form-filling, risk assessments, & "it's not my job" mentality.

Fear of reprisals (legally through the courts, or actual bodily harm) is also a concern, I would suggest, for those that would previously have just gone into a situation to retrieve an animal is distress without fear of any consequences.
What MSK said ^ have had a couple of bad experiences with the RSPCA the council are no better
would go to a local rescue charity in the first instants
fanpages1 h, 12 m ago

Until the original poster returns (other than just "liking" your comment) …Until the original poster returns (other than just "liking" your comment) & offers some information we can work with, we won't know either way.The only contact I have had with the charity is visiting RSPCA shelters to re-home animals.I did not have any problem with them, their knowledge, nor their attitude.

What other information do you require?
bethesdamse23 m ago

What other information do you require?

Is the incident you described in the thread description something that happened to you or was it simply a news article you had seen (like a majority of "Misc" thread rants appear to be these days)?

Either way, what was the role of the RSCPA employee that was the cause of the complaint?
Totally sympathize with you op.

Why do people do this to cats? Why do they do this to hares, same mentality. ??

Then when you try to get some support it is frustrating as they are like wet lettuces.

Some weird people out there and lurking here from past experience with situations like this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants