Rubbish Aldi Customer Services

Found 7th May 2014
Hi thought I would share my experience with Aldi customer services.

Last week I purchased a pkt of Chunky Chocolate biscuits from Aldi. One of the biscuits had a large piece of plastic (chocolate covered plastic). I contacted their customer services by email, filled out the online complaint form, with an attached picture.

The reply I received left a lot to be desired, although they apologised, the onus was placed on me to return the product to the store. I would be offered a replacement or refund, would also have to complete another complaint form.
I asked if I would be reimbursed for my time and travel. They informed me that I would not be reimbursed.

They have said this is an isolated incident and have not had other complaints.

I was wondering if anyone else had an experience similar to this?

61 Comments

Can't see the problem apart from a tea break without 1 biscuit. Why not just save the biscuits and complaint till your next visit to the store and deal with it then.

Original Poster

simplyjimbo

Can't see the problem apart from a tea break without 1 biscuit. Why not … Can't see the problem apart from a tea break without 1 biscuit. Why not just save the biscuits and complaint till your next visit to the store and deal with it then.

The point is they are selling goods not fit to be consumed and not taking responsibility for that. Rubbish customer service.

annewilko

The point is they are selling goods not fit to be consumed and not taking … The point is they are selling goods not fit to be consumed and not taking responsibility for that. Rubbish customer service.

What do you expect them to do, come round to your house and collect it personally?

annewilko

The point is they are selling goods not fit to be consumed and not taking … The point is they are selling goods not fit to be consumed and not taking responsibility for that. Rubbish customer service.

Manufacturing errors occur especially mass production, you found a fault they have offered you a solution. Its a few pence product which they are happily going to refund or exchange. Expecting compensation, costs or other for something that can be resolved on your next visit is to be fair a bit much.

Different story if you have bought a shirt from a store and got home and the security tag was left on and you had to make a lengthy journey back to get the tag removed but its 1 biscuit which you can easily deal with, hardly a major disaster is it.

They apologized for the error, which sometimes happens in production/life.

As long as no one was harmed, seems reasonable enough.

Just take the item back next time you visit them,
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 7th May 2014

Well this turned out well didn't it op?

sad life if you have so much time to fill in forms over a biscuit.
I would have just chucked it in the bin.

what exactly are you wanting from them? to recal all of that type of biscuit? they have said that they will refund you, how much more would you expect?

kilo12kc

not ideally the case, a t-shirt is a different thing to an edible … not ideally the case, a t-shirt is a different thing to an edible product....it goes well against sales for good act, it states that is should be'fit for purpose' meaning this is an edible product and there for a plastic being could seriously harmed someone (depending on the size)saying this really, Annewilko, the retailer cant really do much but what you can still do is contact the manufacturer/maker of the product.take some pics along with the bar, and explain where and how you came across it,having some for of evidence may get you somewhere and take about legislation which they are failing, if it was a big size of plastic mention it.

The issue is expecting extra costs for a few pence product. As a company they are doing what they are legally expected to do refund or replace. Its an isolated manufacturing incident. No need to go to town and call the papers over one biscuit

you've slipped up tbh, why didn't you chew on it first then claim it nearly choked you and can never trust a chocolate biscuit again...and it's ruined your life?
could have been worth ££££££££££££££
Edited by: "CookinBat" 7th May 2014

Contact Environmental Health.

Why should the poster be out of pocket?

simplyjimbo

Manufacturing errors occur especially mass production, you found a fault … Manufacturing errors occur especially mass production, you found a fault they have offered you a solution. Its a few pence product which they are happily going to refund or exchange. Expecting compensation, costs or other for something that can be resolved on your next visit is to be fair a bit much.Different story if you have bought a shirt from a store and got home and the security tag was left on and you had to make a lengthy journey back to get the tag removed but its 1 biscuit which you can easily deal with, hardly a major disaster is it.

my son had to go back to HMV as they had left a security tag in a t shirt he bought. He had to make a special trip back into the shopping centre to return it and they made no apology.

joesmum

my son had to go back to HMV as they had left a security tag in a t shirt … my son had to go back to HMV as they had left a security tag in a t shirt he bought. He had to make a special trip back into the shopping centre to return it and they made no apology.

Debenhams would have, they did for me

simplyjimbo

Debenhams would have, they did for me

HMV would have if he had let me return it .....

bubblegum2910

Contact Environmental Health. Why should the poster be out of pocket?

It's a biscuit If they are really that hard up for a biscuit, I think worrying about said biscuit is the least of their problems.

Banned

so what your saying is if it happened to you you'd rather make a who drama of it in the store....?
whats the point all the stores going to do is check it refund it (YES) but the situation aint really solve as that same batch of products could have another pieces of plastic or somewhat in it

the fact is if it was the situation, ill consider it as hazardous tbh, as i wouldnt want to be eating that.
even unmistakably, it could be dirty before it got it there, all of these are an add on again coming back to fit for its purpose!
Edited by: "kilo12kc" 7th May 2014

My brother is an area manager at Aldi. More fool you. Shop at Lidl! Lidl ftw!!!

Banned

okay ask for £5 voucher or some free food .

I know it's a plastic but no one should receive food with plastic

lidl wouldn't care either ... nor any other supermarket really
they are not going to get onto their glowing red phone direct to kitkatHQ and sort out anything are they?
maybe nestle would grovel more

its all about the money isnt it? come on admit it, you found that bit of plastic and thought "result! ill get some sort of compo here", when it didnt turn out as you hoped you started getting all health and safety on the situation. Bet if they said ok sir have a £20 voucher on us, youd have forgotten all about it, and wouldnt have paid a thought to the little kid who bought the packet after yours and choked to death.
Edited by: "sparxuk" 7th May 2014

I'm not sure why Aldi are at fault. I cant see them having made and packaged the biscuits themselves, nor do I believe that they X-ray each of their packaged products to ensure that they haven't received something with a foreign object in it. They have however offered to refund you. What else should they do?

brilly

lidl wouldn't care either ... nor any other supermarket reallythey are … lidl wouldn't care either ... nor any other supermarket reallythey are not going to get onto their glowing red phone direct to kitkatHQ and sort out anything are they?maybe nestle would grovel more

What? They've got a glowing red phone direct to kitkatHQ?

I'm in the wrong job!

Banned

im not arguing the fact that annewilko wants compensation, im just saying what i think, however if it is about the money i dont think you should even bothar, you not willing to make the effort to go down there for a £1.50 product, not really a point travel expense would be more, and the time and energy wouldnt be also as if it isnt much concern to you the bin it!

however i am arguing the fact that if it was me i would make them aware of this situation as if it happened once, whos not to say it can happen again??
forget the money!

Use it to play soggy biscuit, it will be an extra incentive to lose the game.

Why not have a photo taken of yourself with a sad face, holding up the offending biscuit and send it to

http://www.sellusyourstory.com/sell-my-story/sell-my-story-to-the-daily-mail/

It may help if you have a small child or pet that can also pose with a sad face.

Don't forget to include the price of your house when relating your story.

just think how much you could have milked/rinsed Aldi for..
near death experience...........10k
physiological damage.........5k
a new carpet and sofa (food & vomit stains)
New pants and trousers after soiling yourself
a week off work with full pay
I'd be window shopping for a new car tbh...Lol

Let's face it, Aldi and Lidl are both discounter stores, so if you use them often try and look at it that your pick up some killer bargain at some future point in time, and that you hadn't been expecting to come up, that will more than make up for the loss of a biscuit from them...

kilo12kc

im not arguing the fact that annewilko wants compensation, im just saying … im not arguing the fact that annewilko wants compensation, im just saying what i think, however if it is about the money i dont think you should even bothar, you not willing to make the effort to go down there for a £1.50 product, not really a point travel expense would be more, and the time and energy wouldnt be also as if it isnt much concern to you the bin it!however i am arguing the fact that if it was me i would make them aware of this situation as if it happened once, whos not to say it can happen again??forget the money!

Yes op has done the right thing by contacting the company and they have noted and checked that the other supplies / products are contaminated but to get grumpy over no refund on costs is funny IMO.

If the matter is of real urgency Aldi or other customers contact them regarding the same problem they will of course put a product recall out. Worse case scenario Aldi will get the International tea dunking Biscuit safety army in to go round to all the customers who bought the biscuits and confiscate all the packets bought to be on the safe side.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 7th May 2014

wow guys I'm sure the OP gets it now
P.S- They're just biscuits (calm down)

Seems reasonable from aldi.

Although i think by law if you purchase something online and its faulty the retailer needs to pay for return carriage. However as you physically bought these in person i do not think your entitled to do the same and therefore you will have to return them at your cost and expense on your next visit to the store. Ahh we all expect that EXTRA when we make a genuine complaint, fact is retailers cannot give something EXTRA back to every complaint as all the big stores get 10000s of complaints a year.

Failing that, eat them and go shop at a more expensive store next time.

Original Poster

kilo12kc

im not arguing the fact that annewilko wants compensation, im just saying … im not arguing the fact that annewilko wants compensation, im just saying what i think, however if it is about the money i dont think you should even bothar, you not willing to make the effort to go down there for a £1.50 product, not really a point travel expense would be more, and the time and energy wouldnt be also as if it isnt much concern to you the bin it!however i am arguing the fact that if it was me i would make them aware of this situation as if it happened once, whos not to say it can happen again??forget the money!

Exactly! I thought they would send out something for me to post it back to them. I'm not bothered about a refund or replacement TBH, I was just miffed that they wanted me to return it to the shop, it's not my name on the packaging. I doubt very much if I returned it to the store it would be sent away to be investigated. According to them, this has never occurred before.

Banned

Thieves

Original Poster

CookinBat

you've slipped up tbh, why didn't you chew on it first then claim it … you've slipped up tbh, why didn't you chew on it first then claim it nearly choked you and can never trust a chocolate biscuit again...and it's ruined your life? could have been worth ££££££££££££££ [ What do you expect them to do, come round to your house and collect it personally?

Dehumanization

What do you expect them to do, come round to your house and collect it … What do you expect them to do, come round to your house and collect it personally?

Just send a pre paid pkg!

simplyjimbo

Manufacturing errors occur especially mass production, you found a fault … Manufacturing errors occur especially mass production, you found a fault they have offered you a solution. Its a few pence product which they are happily going to refund or exchange. Expecting compensation, costs or other for something that can be resolved on your next visit is to be fair a bit much.Different story if you have bought a shirt from a store and got home and the security tag was left on and you had to make a lengthy journey back to get the tag removed but its 1 biscuit which you can easily deal with, hardly a major disaster is it.

You'd expect compensation for having to go and get a security tag removed from a shirt, but it's unreasonable for a hidden lump of plastic in your food? Something which could have presumably killed a child in a different scenario?

While I agree with the general sentiment - it's just a few biscuits and nothing bad happened, so just get over it - the comparison seems rather ridiculous.

simplyjimbo

I didn't expect anything unlike the op, even though it was given without … I didn't expect anything unlike the op, even though it was given without requesting. I was just making a point that the returning to store over a biscuit and expecting costs and time reimbursement is a bit much especially when a visit was likely to occur again to possibly do some more shopping. We haven't even been shown how big the plastic was, I'm sure a small bit isn't going to kill.

You said "different story if..." implying your case has more merit.

The OP described it as "large", and if it was noticeable despite being covered in chocolate, I'd assume it's reasonably big. But yes, a small piece of plastic can easily kill a child.

As I said before, nothing happened so there is no real compensation case to answer, but the knee-jerk responses from people on here trivialising the presence of a large lump of plastic in food is ridiculous. People can, and have, choked to death on such objects.

callum9999

You said "different story if..." implying your case has more merit.The OP … You said "different story if..." implying your case has more merit.The OP described it as "large", and if it was noticeable despite being covered in chocolate, I'd assume it's reasonably big. But yes, a small piece of plastic can easily kill a child. As I said before, nothing happened so there is no real compensation case to answer, but the knee-jerk responses from people on here trivialising the presence of a large lump of plastic in food is ridiculous. People can, and have, choked to death on such objects.

I don't think people have issue with the bit of plastic problem itself, just merely the way it come across that compensation is expected for a trip to store and a cost put on time too. Aldi were informed of the problem and offered what they are obliged to do, refund or replace.

They should offered to close the store. No wait,completely pull out of the UK market.

op go and burn the store down, take pics and post on here that will teach what ever store it was, and what ever produ eifkls sneotri ksejkr oiwjwla oerorjtk

soz I dropped off then

what a nasty society we have become faulty product = result!!!! = compo !!!!!!!

Sweet lord, they offered you a refund, how dare they.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions