Rug Doctor solution

Posted 10th Sep
Looking to hire a rug doctor to clean a couple of carpets and the sofa, never used one before but just wondering if you have to use the "official" solution of if there's a cheaper alternative. That will still produce good results.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
There may well be, but the proper stuff does a good job and is worth the money.
Your planning on paying a substantial amount to hire a rug doctor I think it would have a better effect when using the official solution. No point being cheap with buying the solution you will regret it after. Don't believe people who will say washing up liquid will be effective the formula will not be the same as a proper carpet solution.
I hired a Rug Doctor just before Christmas and used this stuff - screwfix.com/p/n…509 - worked well. Did a whole house and still have most of it left - don't need to use much.

There was a thread on here a few days ago were some were suggesting you could use watered down liquid laundry detergent.
Van197310/09/2020 19:56

I hired a Rug Doctor just before Christmas and used this stuff - …I hired a Rug Doctor just before Christmas and used this stuff - https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-carpet-cleaning-detergent-5ltr/70509 - worked well. Did a whole house and still have most of it left - don't need to use much.There was a thread on here a few days ago were some were suggesting you could use watered down liquid laundry detergent.

I've used that too and it is really good. Hires the machine through hss I think as it was far cheaper than rugdoctor.
The screwfix no nonsense carpet cleaner is just as good as the rug doctor solution and only 12 quid for 5 litres, give it a try.
If you have a good google most recommend normal cloths washing laundryliquid. Gets mentioned on here as well and used it myself in the car and bedrooms.
Edited by: "eslick" 10th Sep
You can just use liquid laundry detergent. Liquid only, NOT powder or tabs. Use about two thirds of the measure. Make sure it’s mixed well (pour detergent in first, water on top-you don’t have to stand their mixing it by hand).

Rug Doctor’s own solution works. But it’s no better than the liquid detergent.

And general tip, use water as hot as you can get from the tap.
Alexandralocks10/09/2020 19:39

Your planning on paying a substantial amount to hire a rug doctor I think …Your planning on paying a substantial amount to hire a rug doctor I think it would have a better effect when using the official solution. No point being cheap with buying the solution you will regret it after. Don't believe people who will say washing up liquid will be effective the formula will not be the same as a proper carpet solution.

It’s liquid laundry detergent. Not washing up liquid.
I’ve used home bargains own brand in the past and had good results.
PAISAL10/09/2020 20:42

It’s liquid laundry detergent. Not washing up liquid.

I wasn't quoting you so no need for your "correction"
Alexandralocks10/09/2020 21:46

I wasn't quoting you so no need for your "correction"

I didn’t presume that you was (quoting me that is). I was just ensuring you didn’t actually think that people are recommending washing up liquid.

Unless there are some.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Sep
PAISAL10/09/2020 21:53

I didn’t presume that you was (quoting me that is). I was just ensuring y …I didn’t presume that you was (quoting me that is). I was just ensuring you didn’t actually think that people are recommending washing up liquid. Unless there are some.

There are, that's why I mentioned that in the first place
Alexandralocks10/09/2020 22:13

There are, that's why I mentioned that in the first place

That would be a bad idea.

I get your point though too (if you’re going through the effort of hiring a machine, then you might as well get the proper solution too). I use both the Rug Doctor solution and the laundry detergent regularly. The Rug Doctor solution is good for “soaking” heavy stains used neat, and letting them break down.

But for general cleaning, not noticed a difference between them, other than the laundry detergent leaving a nice fragrance.

Arguably that’s not necessarily a good thing in a carpet cleaner.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Sep
I was going to make a joke about a rug doctor and a gynaecologist but thought better of it.
Post a comment
@
    Text