Rugged Android Phone/Tablet

Found 19th Oct 2017
I’m struggling to find what I’m looking for so I thought I would ask here.

I need an Android device preferably the size of a phone to run just 1 custom app. No need for SIM card hence tablet choice. My main concern is durability. I’m leaning towards normal phone in Otterbox casing but I just wondered if anyone can suggest anything else.

I need a days battery life before charging and replacement battery is a must.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Budget might be useful.

One option to consider is getting a 'rugged' case and a cheaper phone/tablet.

There are a few 'rugged' phones out there such as the CAT S41 but they're not cheap at around £400 on Amazon (could get multiple cheaper phones for the same price).
Why not make a standard phone 'rugged' with a case something like this.... ebay.co.uk/itm…w7r
tech347512 h, 47 m ago

Budget might be useful.One option to consider is getting a 'rugged' case …Budget might be useful.One option to consider is getting a 'rugged' case and a cheaper phone/tablet.There are a few 'rugged' phones out there such as the CAT S41 but they're not cheap at around £400 on Amazon (could get multiple cheaper phones for the same price).

Budget is about £100 - £150 but nearer £100 would be good. However I really would like to use Otterbox for protection.
OllieSt2 h, 20 m ago

Budget is about £100 - £150 but nearer £100 would be good. However I re …Budget is about £100 - £150 but nearer £100 would be good. However I really would like to use Otterbox for protection.

We use Moto TC55 or TC75's in work for custom android apps. Far as proper rugged devices with available support contracts you are looking at the £400+ price points unless going down the line of the Ulephone route. They are a good device but if you need anything like a support contract on repairs it won't be happening. Depending on the use of the app and industry you might be aiming it at, form factor also plays a big part. Being able to use with heavy gloves on for example in wet conditions. We found for example during device testing that the TC75 has a larger battery and slightly better processor but in real life with the extended battery when holding the device one handed it tends to wish to tip forward all the time the way the battery is balanced. With the TC55 the heavier part of the battery is at the base of your palm. Another point to take into consideration is possibly the need for hand mounts, image readers,RFID readers etc etc. With the TC55 we comfortably get two days usage between charging, thats with using 4g data, barcode,RFID reading,taking pictures, on around 8-10 hours usage per day. Also might have the need for non-GSM versions so that the end users can't install apps from play store or a custom front end to prevent changing of any device settings and such, along with remote diagnostics, along with the abilities to stage devices and mass updates, especially important if your app has to be side loaded, try staging x hundred devices where each has to be side loaded and the same anytime you need something updated. Also if non-sim and requires wifi, remember each device would need to be manually setup for the network. In short you need to take device staging into consideration if thinking anything in high volumes.
I do have some contacts that might have some refurb units available but the price point is normally in the £200-£300 mark.

PS: The Moto devices are made by the "old Moto" firm, only the consumer market Moto end was sold to Google then onto Lenovo.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 19th Oct 2017
What sort of screen size/ resolution do you need for the app? Something small and rugged may last but your custom app may look silly or worse, not work especially on lower Android versions.

My Elephone P8000 battery died 2 months ago so I bought a Ulefone Power 2 to run a custom app I've developed myself. My reason was similar to yours in that I needed a big battery but I also needed a decent sized screen. The Power 2 also came with a toughened screen protector and case so its rugged enough for my needs. The Ulefone has a built in battery (bugger I know) but I only charge every other day now and it's more than what I need.
OllieSt5 m ago

Wow there’s so info there. The TC55 seems to fit the bill and I accept t …Wow there’s so info there. The TC55 seems to fit the bill and I accept that my budget was way out. I’ll do a bit of research and come back to you. I

Your welcome. PM myself if you need anything more.
cecilmcroberts1 m ago

Your welcome. PM myself if you need anything more.

Thanks. I deleted my post by mistake
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants