Ruined Grass. How to fix (garden not weed!)

Found 2nd May 2012
First of all... i know nothing about gardening etc so please forgive me if this is a stupid post!

My dog has ruined the back garden, dug up grass, his pee has killed the grass and made it all patchy and I want to fix it ready for the summer but don't know the best course of action.

I've built a fence so the pup can't get into the grassed area now but what is the best way to get lovely green grass again. I was thinking of digging up the top level of grass/soil getting compost nd mixing it all up, then sowing grass seeds? Is it that easy? Are there other things I need to do? Is there an easier way of doing it? How much compost to use? So many question, so little knowledge!

Any green fingers out there have any advice?
Community Updates
16 Comments
Turf?
Bury the dog in the mess, then turf.

/thread.
I thought turf but was wondering if the soil under it is bad from the dog pee (I read somewhere it makes the soil more acid or alcaline.. can't remember) would the turf take to it? Hence I though compost?
Scottee

I thought turf but was wondering if the soil under it is bad from the dog … I thought turf but was wondering if the soil under it is bad from the dog pee (I read somewhere it makes the soil more acid or alcaline.. can't remember) would the turf take to it? Hence I though compost?

Apparently if you put cat pee over the dog pee it neutralises it- similar to the red wine/ white wine in carpets.

So after you bury the dog, buy a cat.
Ta for that. cock
Apparently (not tried and tested as I don't have a dog!) you can buy 'dog rocks'.
You put them in the dog's drinking water and somehow it nutrilises the acidity in the wee so it doesn't burn the grass.
As I said, haven't tried it but worth a go?
fake grass???? its expencive but nothing will ever need doing again. My dog ruined my garden too helped by all the kids toys
Well, hello Scottee, that's a fine avatar you have there. *giggles like a schoolgirl*

Evergreen products are good. I used some kind of seed, weed, feed thing over some bald patches on my lawn and it worked well. Not sure about dog mess as my patches were not caused by that.

Do check that anything you put down isn't poisonous to your dog.
Obviously dogs p*** on a daily basis all over the grass. The effects are ridiculously small. Grass seed, water. job done.

1 million years ago the dinosaurs didn't lay turf. Let nature work.
See the links that I gave here

It's usually female rather than male dogs whose pee kills grass, maybe when yours grows up it won't be as lethal. Anyway the standard advice is to pour a goodly splosh of water to dilute the pee - when he's finished! I never have had any problem of this type with dogs, but then again - I don't much care about my 'lawn'.
Edited by: "chesso" 2nd May 2012
Once you have a nice lawn you could keep an area just for your dog to piddle. You would have to spend some time training but dogs can be taught this.
I have the exact same problem. I have re-sewn the bad patches, and the seed does grow. I have noiw decided to have my garden revamped, and have invested in artificial grass....yet to be laid. So many different grades and prices, but have made a decision. Ebay sellers charge for samples, but all other companies send them free.
Try Dog Rocks, they seem to work for about 3 months or so before needing to be replaced for our labrador.
We had artificial grass laid 2 weeks ago, it's brilliant, best investment house wise yet.
funny.onion

Well, hello Scottee, that's a fine avatar you have there. *giggles like a … Well, hello Scottee, that's a fine avatar you have there. *giggles like a schoolgirl*Evergreen products are good. I used some kind of seed, weed, feed thing over some bald patches on my lawn and it worked well. Not sure about dog mess as my patches were not caused by that.Do check that anything you put down isn't poisonous to your dog.

Hussy
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qnqRPhAqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants