Rumored New PS5 Model With Detachable Disc Drive update - ''Disc Drive likely won't be compatible with the current digital version''

Posted 17th Jan 2023
More and more rumours and 'leaks' are starting to appear in the wild regarding the new PS5 models, which i first mentioned here, but that was back in September 2022.

If recent leaks are to believed, again always take with a pinch of salt, then it makes for some interesting reading, even hardcore Sony fans might be a little annoyed

Tom Henderson, owner of insidergaming, has shed some more light on the incoming new models via tweet.

The Tweet states that there ''Doesn't seem like there are any major hardware changes from the original console'' which isn't probably too much of a surprise and totally wouldn't expect a 'pro' type model, like we had for the PS4, for a few more years yet but it'll likely be lighter and slimmer, as it is a bit of a chunk atm but i still love mine

4070821_1.jpg
This is the interesting part though, Tom states '' The Disc Drive likely won't be compatible with the current digital version'' which if true, seems a tad crappy by Sony.

Those that bought the digital console, whether it was down to cost, avalibility or other reasons will A) Re-buy the digital, if they wish to purchase the standalone disc drive in future or B) Buy the Disc version.

So not sure what the point is in the disc drive atm.

I know this will come down to preference, like cost and some prefer digital content only, wish is totally fine but still feels a bit odd sony wouldn't make the 'older' consoles/SKUs compatible in some form, considering it was only released in November 2020 and stock was tricky to get, until the middle/back end of last year.

Again, this is leaks/rumours but i'm sure we'll see a official annoucement from Sony 'soon' and get prices.

I think it'll be sooner, rather than later though as we're already starting to see some decent price bundles on hotukdeals, under RRP, which makes a change!

Some info below from the post, in September 2022.

''The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2023, say sources.

Sources familiar with Sony’s plans have shared details under the condition of anonymity outlining the next iteration of the PlayStation 5. It’s been suggested that this new console will completely replace the A, B, and C chassis that have been in production since the console’s launch.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disk drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console

It’s understood that this new PlayStation 5 console will be sold on its own, or, in a bundle with the detachable disc drive. It’s also understood that the disc drives can also be purchased separately, so, if it gets busted, there’s no need to buy an entirely new console.

Sources have implied that although the new detachable disc drive is portable, it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external, presumably meaning the new PlayStation 5 will look similar to the existing model.

However, the new detachable disc drive could entail that the new iteration of the PlayStation 5 will be slimmer and lighter, which is something Sony has been trying to implement effectively with its latest PS5 models.

It’s understood that Sony is anticipating producing 18.5 million units of the new PlayStation 5 console in FY 2023 and only 12 million units of the A-C chassis consoles as they begin to be phased out.''
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Not big deal tbh. Most people who bought digital console went in with their eyes open. Keeping eyes peeled for slim and pro version
    Author
    Just seems pointless, in my opinion of course, having the standalone disc drive, as not compatible with older version (again to be confirmed)

Slim will be this year, pro guessing next year/year after but either way, i'm sure rockstar will have an upgraded GTA VI version though for £80 (edited)
  2. Avatar
    Any thoughts on a "pro" version being released? Genuinely can't see what further enhancements they could apply right now. A slim version is fine and hopefully some focus on additional titles
    As long as the pro version is a decent upgrade compared to what they did with ps4 pro which was underpowered for what it was supposed to do. The Xbox one X was a good mid gen upgrade. The fact that Elden ring couldn't even hit 60fps locked at 1080p was indication that ps5 needs more power! (edited)
  3. Avatar
    I've had my disc version for a year now and haven't put a single disc in it yet (other than to test it works when I first got it), albeit I only really play Destiny 2 on it. But with the changes to PS+ and the monthly gaming offerings, most games I own are in digital format now, and at the moment I'm not really buying any games. The only one I'm currently considering getting on disc, is Cyberpunk, once it drops to sub £10, and that's because it's not on PS+.
  4. Avatar
    I would be shocked if they brought out new models this year given the supply chain issues and only now being able to regularly pick them up in stores. Also what's the point of a pro version, the games out currently are ps4 versions jazzed up with slightly better graphics and faster loading times, personally I wouldn't get a pro model anytime soon
  5. Avatar
    No Performance and Spec upgrade?!!!

What kind of debauchery is this. Who do Sony with think they are, Nintendo?

Better to get a powerful VR capable PC I'd say.
    The PSVR2 is far and away the best VR Gaming headset and it will never run on a PC? Why would anyone buy a VR PC right now
  6. Avatar
    If they have a good digital library that won't delete titles after a year then I can understand the price point of having a digital only console. I guess what they are proposing makes financial sense, however it's a pity they didn't think it through for the original digital console as the optional add-on could offer a lower point of entry for users.
Top Merchants