Rumour: Microsoft want to charge users of Windows 10

Found 1st AugEdited by:"Predikuesi"
Microsoft is reportedly planning to launch a paid subscription service in order to keep users’ Windows 10 machines running properly.
The rumoured ‘Microsoft Managed Desktop’ service would see users enlist Microsoft to configure their computers and then pay a monthly retainer in order to keep them operating smoothly. A ZDnet report from the well-connected Mary Jo Foley suggest Microsoft is close to revealing the plans, which would essentially be a ‘desktop as a service’ operation.
Read more at trustedreviews.com/new…048

Would you pay a monthly subscription or ditch Microsoft?

What about option 3 and continue maintaining your own hardware? (suggested by BeerDrinker).
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Pay or ditch? What about option 3 and continue maintaining your own hardware?

Looks like it's a service that will be aimed at businesses rather than the consumer market. Instead of having in-house IT folk to maintain the desktop fleet, Microsoft are launching a service to do this for you. Might be quite attractive to a lot of companies, as the MS twice-yearly updates can be a proper headache.
14 Comments
Pay or ditch? What about option 3 and continue maintaining your own hardware?

Looks like it's a service that will be aimed at businesses rather than the consumer market. Instead of having in-house IT folk to maintain the desktop fleet, Microsoft are launching a service to do this for you. Might be quite attractive to a lot of companies, as the MS twice-yearly updates can be a proper headache.
BeerDrinker11 m ago

Pay or ditch? What about option 3 and continue maintaining your own …Pay or ditch? What about option 3 and continue maintaining your own hardware?Looks like it's a service that will be aimed at businesses rather than the consumer market. Instead of having in-house IT folk to maintain the desktop fleet, Microsoft are launching a service to do this for you. Might be quite attractive to a lot of companies, as the MS twice-yearly updates can be a proper headache.

I don't use Windows very often nowadays, but over the years, since 3.1, I've noticed how several of Microsoft's implementations have dripped down from the business to home market. I doubt this would affect any home user in the near future, but I wonder if one day we'll see a Windows subscription based operating system.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 1st Aug
Option 3 for me, nothing wrong with MS offering paid help as I'm sure many people would appreciate it if not tech savvy.
I don't know how they will be able to do this for any business with lots of custom software, are they going to ensure it all runs correctly on their OS, will they be supporting other browsers so they are performant, I doubt it. Think my company would be interested in finding out more tho.
The IT department that looks after my work computer could do with being replaced by anyone else really.

For my home computer I mostly use windows to play games and sometimes for office, rarely for anything else. So it doesnt really require much maintaining, but if it did i would just do it myself.
Edited by: "CoeK" 1st Aug
Go back to Windows 7
I don't care. Currently using Linux mint but may consider switching to the chrome book
splatsplatsplat1 h, 31 m ago

Go back to Windows 7

I never left.

I think I paid a little under £100 for the full Windows 7 Home Premium version in 2011 which works out at just over £1 a month. Somehow I can't see myself going for the option of paying £10 a month to Microsoft in future.
spoo1 m ago

I never left.I think I paid a little under £100 for the full Windows 7 …I never left.I think I paid a little under £100 for the full Windows 7 Home Premium version in 2011 which works out at just over £1 a month. Somehow I can't see myself going for the option of paying £10 a month to Microsoft in future.

You won't have to.
CoeK5 m ago

You won't have to.

I know I won't right now, I meant if Microsoft decide to adopt this proposal for home users in the future.
spoo1 m ago

I know I won't right now, I meant if Microsoft decide to adopt this …I know I won't right now, I meant if Microsoft decide to adopt this proposal for home users in the future.

They won't.
It seems to me, that they're (thinking of) introducing this scheme, because some FW in the past, had the bright idea of just updating Windows 10 instead of releasing Windows 11, 12 etc and making people pay for newer OS's.
It's only taken taken them <insert the number of years> since Windows 10 was released to realise they won't be able to squeeze the consumer for more cash.

I've already paid for Windows 10 and I won't paying for any subscriptions (or anything from the store).
I'll just pirate any versions that include the updates, that I can't get with my paid version.
It’s true and it is targeted at businesses only, there’s some other pretty cool functionality that hasn’t been mentioned but it’ll be very appealing to companies with large fleets it devices!
I've heard of this 'Windows as a service' thing before, I wouldn't be surprised if it is what they are looking at for the future.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions