Found 21st Aug 2016
At the time of posting, this is just a rumour so take it with a grain of salt, but this evening some rather convincing images have emerged, originally via Twitter, of a supposed PS4 Slim model. See images in the first comments, but 7 September is looking all the more interesting...

Edit: more images added, this seems to be pretty much confirmed real now.

Tweet in question: twitter.com/sho…241

95 Comments

Original Poster

http://i.imgur.com/S9JOxNeh.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqZ6o6ZWEAE5CDg.jpg:large

http://i.imgur.com/V1P0e5jh.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqaI7pOWAAACIqm.jpg:large
Edited by: "Illusionary" 21st Aug 2016

[edit: pictures removed you beat me to it ]

Taking a figure of 8 power cable on a slim console seems odd to me.
Edited by: "MSK." 21st Aug 2016

moneysavingkitten

[edit: pictures removed you beat me to it ]Taking a figure of 8 power … [edit: pictures removed you beat me to it ]Taking a figure of 8 power cable on a slim console seems odd to me.

Why? The PS3 Slim took a IEC C7 lead as well.

Pretty convinced this is real myself, for someone to go to the imagination to design that and having the rear of the unit showing the usual warranty seal next to the ethernet port, alongside the design idea of having the PS symbols as feet on the unit I think would be outside the usual fakery.

Cool! But is a slim ps4 really needed?

cicobuff

Why? The PS3 Slim took a IEC C7 lead as well.

Just thinking aloud really, just occurred to me that PS3 silm did too (see PS4 new thread ha). I'm not sure about the super slim? I've never owned one. I just thought that if the transformer is inside it, it's either going to a) not be that slim or b) could be Neo.
Edited by: "MSK." 21st Aug 2016

johnwillowlfc

Probably if it is, it will be much cheaper to justify it's existence along side Neo.

Original Poster

johnwillowlfc

Arguably not, but if it's cheaper to manufacture AND Sony get a PR opportunity out of it (consider in particular that, feature-dependent, it may directly match up against the Xbox One S), there's little for them to lose.

johnwillowlfc

moneysavingkitten

Probably if it is, it will be much cheaper to justify it's existence … Probably if it is, it will be much cheaper to justify it's existence along side Neo.

...and to dominate the Christmas sales market (again).

Editor

It's real. Wonder if they will wait until the September event to launch now

moneysavingkitten

Just thinking allowed really, just occurred to me that PS3 silm did too … Just thinking allowed really, just occurred to me that PS3 silm did too (see PS4 new thread ha). I'm not sure about the super slim? I've never owned one. I just thought that if the transformer is inside it, it's either going to a) not be that slim or b) could be Neo.

After only taking apart my PS4 a couple of weeks ago (near launch unit) to apply fresh thermal paste, you have to remember that the PS4 is nearly 3 years old now....perfectly feasible to have reduced the die size of the APU, a smaller mainboard and refined PSU...the PSU in the original PS4 is actually quite bulky. This looks way too elaborate on box art and amount of pictures from different angles to be considered a hoax in my opinion.

johnwillowlfc

Of course, refined design and I am sure smaller APU, more power efficient, cooler running, cheaper to manufacture etc.
Edited by: "cicobuff" 21st Aug 2016

cicobuff

After only taking apart my PS4 a couple of weeks ago (near launch unit) … After only taking apart my PS4 a couple of weeks ago (near launch unit) to apply fresh thermal paste, you have to remember that the PS4 is nearly 3 years old now....perfectly feasible to have reduced the die size of the APU, a smaller mainboard and refined PSU...the PSU in the original PS4 is actually quite bulky. This looks way too elaborate on box art and amount of pictures from different angles to be considered a hoax in my opinion.

I don't doubt that it's contents can be made smaller and cheaper

msmyth

It's real. Wonder if they will wait until the September event to launch … It's real. Wonder if they will wait until the September event to launch now

It's only a fortnight away X)

moneysavingkitten

I don't doubt that it's contents can be made smaller and cheaper

Then I don't understand why you are questioning that it could be this slim?

msmyth

It's real. Wonder if they will wait until the September event to launch … It's real. Wonder if they will wait until the September event to launch now

Of course...

[ expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs…tml ]

Original Poster

Anyone live in Bolton with a spare £300? (I'm close, but not close enough :p)

gumtree.com/p/p…779

So the new EU model is CUH-2016A, and looking very stylish indeed. Very impressed with the design and the matt finish of the new unit.

Illusionary

Anyone live in Bolton with a spare £300? (I'm close, but not close enough … Anyone live in Bolton with a spare £300? (I'm close, but not close enough :p)https://www.gumtree.com/p/ps4/sony-ps4-console-latest-slim-line-model-not-in-stores-yet-brand-new-in-sealed-box/1184126779

How much are you short? Distance or Notes?

Illusionary

Anyone live in Bolton with a spare £300? (I'm close, but not close enough … Anyone live in Bolton with a spare £300? (I'm close, but not close enough :p)https://www.gumtree.com/p/ps4/sony-ps4-console-latest-slim-line-model-not-in-stores-yet-brand-new-in-sealed-box/1184126779

Haha not in stores yet but will provide receipt for piece of mind?

cicobuff

Then I don't understand why you are questioning that it could be this … Then I don't understand why you are questioning that it could be this slim?

I'm questioning how slim it would be.

Original Poster

fanpages

How much are you short? Distance or Notes?

I'm 40 minutes or so away... I could get there, but I'm not really inclined to waste £300 on it when I've no need for another PS4 (besides, there's the Neo to wait for!).

johnwillowlfc

Haha not in stores yet but will provide receipt for piece of mind?

The receipt may provide peace of mind to Sony's lawyers if they get their hands on it...

Original Poster

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqaI7pOWAAACIqm.jpg:large

Illusionary

Looks like a very similar footprint, but about an inch off the height? Interesting picture

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

Looks like a very similar footprint, but about an inch off the height? … Looks like a very similar footprint, but about an inch off the height? Interesting picture

Less than an inch I think, assuming that you're referring to height when it's laid flat.

A load more photos here: pushsquare.com/new…ine

moneysavingkitten

At a guess around 2/3rds the height and around the same depth, prefer the design to the original unit personally too. Looks like the HDD tray is at the rear of the unit.

Illusionary

Less than an inch I think, assuming that you're referring to height when … Less than an inch I think, assuming that you're referring to height when it's laid flat.A load more photos here: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/08/rumour_ps4_slim_hardware_images_allegedly_leak_online

I did mean it's height, I think you're right. Top part of my PS4 is approx 2cm tall, so many only a centimetre in it?

It's really not a looker is it? No LED's, ugly buttons, all matt. Seems to have very few vents. I wonder what temps it runs at. Still 500GB, does seem very budget the more I think about it.

Original Poster

cicobuff

At a guess around 2/3rds the height and around the same depth, prefer the … At a guess around 2/3rds the height and around the same depth, prefer the design to the original unit personally too. Looks like the HDD tray is at the rear of the unit.

Yep: twitter.com/sho…416

Illusionary

Buy, connect to internet, instant ban, £300 paperweight! X)

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Buy, connect to internet, instant ban, £300 paperweight! X)

But think of the internet fame

In seriousness, though, it might not report itself any differently to the PSN.

Glad I haven't bought the PS4 yet, but someone I know wants to sell his PS4, and I said I would buy it. What to do!

The fans will probably be 200db plus.

Original Poster

tempt

The fans will probably be 200db plus.

It's likely to run much cooler, if anything.

Original Poster

Rid1

Glad I haven't bought the PS4 yet, but someone I know wants to sell his … Glad I haven't bought the PS4 yet, but someone I know wants to sell his PS4, and I said I would buy it. What to do!

That's an easy one for now - wait for 7 September.

Reminds me, I've got some bread, toasting... Too late

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqaWBbTXYAEST0U.jpg:large

Id say this is a super convincing fake. Id be almost convinced if it was not for that the text placement on the back of the box that goes over the head of drake and sits on top of game images. This is something that sony does not do in their design language. It just seems a bit suspect to me.

Its a poor design choice and not something ive seen from sony before. In fact the whole packaging seems just a bit off design wise. The front of the box with the console just in the white space seems unlike sonys design. Normally the console would sit on top of the blue wave or at least have a blue fade. Maybe its just prototype packaging that or all the graphic designers were on strike when they came up with the packaging.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition61637
    2. Chat magazine issue 4323
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers22
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 41 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions