Rumour: Universal Studios Steaming Service, death of cinema?

Posted 16th Mar
The big rumour doing the rounds is that Universal Studios is set to release films on demand and make their cinema slate available on demand immediately due to coronavirus. Will be interesting to see if other big studios follow suit. ‘The Hunt’ and ‘The Invisible Man’ are set to be the first films to hit the service and will be available for rental. Could this be the death of cinema?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

15 Comments
How much for 10 shirts a week, Gold service?

I was thinking this when they announced a few films would be pushed back a year or so. Releasing it on-demand is a great idea and think it would bring in just as much, if not more, revenue because they'll be more people at home unable to go out and willing to pay to see a new release in the comfort of their own homes. Great stuff. No more annoying people shouting or taking phone calls during a movie or people with huge puffy air styles sitting in front of you and blocking the view of the screen.

And unlike the cinema you'd have the option to pause the movie to dash to the toilet unlike at the cinema when you down a litre of coke and have to run to the toilet and miss a crucial part of the movie.
amygreen7967716/03/2020 20:24

I was thinking this when they announced a few films would be pushed back a …I was thinking this when they announced a few films would be pushed back a year or so. Releasing it on-demand is a great idea and think it would bring in just as much, if not more, revenue because they'll be more people at home unable to go out and willing to pay to see a new release in the comfort of their own homes. Great stuff. No more annoying people shouting or taking phone calls during a movie or people with huge puffy air styles sitting in front of you and blocking the view of the screen.And unlike the cinema you'd have the option to pause the movie to dash to the toilet unlike at the cinema when you down a litre of coke and have to run to the toilet and miss a crucial part of the movie.

I’m really torn on this decision, if true. I agree that it would be good to see the movie at home: no one talking through it or on their phone would be bliss, but there is just something about seeing a film on the big screen. My worry is if this trial is successful why would the film studios need the cinemas, they can caught out the middle man and more profit for themselves. Interesting and dark times ahead.
For some films you can't beat the cinema experience (forgetting the mobile users & popcorn crunchers) on a huge screen & a decent sound system.
Edited by: "richp" 16th Mar
richp16/03/2020 20:45

For some films you can't beat the cinema experience (forgetting the mobile …For some films you can't beat the cinema experience (forgetting the mobile users & popcorn crunchers) on a huge screen & a decent sound system.

That would be me. I’m a Cineworld Unlimited card holder and love my trips to the cinema.. you really can’t beat it.
People probably said that VHS was the death of cinema. And they probably said it again about DVDs, 3D Blu-rays, Netflix, and other streaming services. And guess what, it's still here.
Haircut_10016/03/2020 21:08

People probably said that VHS was the death of cinema. And they probably …People probably said that VHS was the death of cinema. And they probably said it again about DVDs, 3D Blu-rays, Netflix, and other streaming services. And guess what, it's still here.

I hope you’re right
They're only doing it because they're already in the cinema. They're new/recent releases that people cannot go and see. So if they want any kind of money back on those films they need to publish it digitally.

Unreleased films can just wait until everything has passed.
Khadgar16/03/2020 20:31

I’m really torn on this decision, if true. I agree that it would be good t …I’m really torn on this decision, if true. I agree that it would be good to see the movie at home: no one talking through it or on their phone would be bliss, but there is just something about seeing a film on the big screen. My worry is if this trial is successful why would the film studios need the cinemas, they can caught out the middle man and more profit for themselves. Interesting and dark times ahead.

Other people are the worst in cinemas (eating, drinking, talking, phone's, smart watches), bring on home streaming.
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 16th Mar
I only watch movies using my Home Cinema setup.
I've lost count of the number of times I've told myself off for talking, farting loudly and eating when the movie is playing
Next time I'm just going to walk out.
AgentDaleCooper16/03/2020 22:18

Other people are the worst in cinemas (eating, drinking, talking, phone's, …Other people are the worst in cinemas (eating, drinking, talking, phone's, smart watches), bring on home streaming.

That’s the one thing I don’t understand about the management of cinemas, none seem to ensure you have the best experience possible. You buy your ticket and it’s pot luck if you have a screening that passes without incident. If cinemas took action and guaranteed a proper cinema experience each and every time you went I’m sure more people would go to the cinema.
In all honesty,. Cinemas should be closed during all this.
Hope so i don't like the cost, time and effort of going to the cinema which is in another town but i have to do it with films i really want to see otherwise ill get spoiled and inpatient if i have to wait even longer for Blu Ray release

Let's not forget 30.mins of Ads, Crying Babies, Noisy People, Loud Eaters
Usually when i go im basically alone but sometimes in hell especially for my anxiety
Edited by: "Norseg" 17th Mar
AgentDaleCooper16/03/2020 22:18

Other people are the worst in cinemas (eating, drinking, talking, phone's, …Other people are the worst in cinemas (eating, drinking, talking, phone's, smart watches), bring on home streaming.

Lets not forget people who bring their babies to a loud action movie aimed at teens and adults
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants