Groups

Run guttering over flat roof

Hi,
    Currently at the side of our house there is a large utility extension from the garage extending 2-3m into the garden. At the moment the gutter drain pipe from the roof of the main property is running above the flat roof then is diverted along a drain pipe diagonally along the back external wall of the prerogative to a drain halfway along the property (very ugly). I wanted to change so the drain pipe goes to the drain at the back of the flat roof extension.
    I have two options, can anyone advise which would be best/most professional.

1) Run guttering along the side of the extension and join it up to what is already at the rear of the extension so it then goes into the rear drain; or

2) Run a drain pipe over the roof of the extension to the rear guttering of the extension so again it goes out the same drain.

Hopefully you can picture the scenario?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

18 Comments

Original Poster

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/57k/56527/43965133/56527_11032A_11032_IMG_09_0000.JPG

Above is an image of the rear of the property, this might assist someone?

Have you checked the intended drain is able to cope with the extra water, ie: it is not a soak away?

Edited by: "Flynn.Jack" 8th Apr

I'm just looking at the picture, my mums semi has the gutter running straight vertically down into the drain and the one at the front goes through the garage flat roof into the drain system in garage.
    I'm guessing the drain was built over when the extension was built?
    Anyway would it be possible to have a hole to connect to the old drain by any chance? Or if not think it would be better along the wall of extension so as not to leak if it ever leaks in the future onto the roof maybe.
    I am no builder or expert or anything just thought I'd give my two pence worth

Ps the old utility flat roof used to leak and eventually a hole appeared and when it rained it rained into the utility where the fridge and washing machine was at the time, bleak times

Just have the outlet onto the flat roof then the water will flow over the flat roof and into the gutter and drain with the flat roof water

Original Poster

Flynn.Jack

Have you checked the intended drain is able to cope with the extra water, … Have you checked the intended drain is able to cope with the extra water, ie: it is not a soak away?

I assume it's a drain rather than soak away, anyway to check?
    slevinkelevra

I'm just looking at the picture, my mums semi has the gutter running … I'm just looking at the picture, my mums semi has the gutter running straight vertically down into the drain and the one at the front goes through the garage flat roof into the drain system in garage.I'm guessing the drain was built over when the extension was built? Anyway would it be possible to have a hole to connect to the old drain by any chance? Or if not think it would be better along the wall of extension so as not to leak if it ever leaks in the future onto the roof maybe.I am no builder or expert or anything just thought I'd give my two pence worth

Yeah I believe it's all been covered up, although there is a toilet/drain pipe from the bathroom going into the flat roof. Could look at tapping into that?!

Flynn.Jack

Have you checked the intended drain is able to cope with the extra … Have you checked the intended drain is able to cope with the extra water, ie: it is not a soak away?

slevinkelevra

I'm just looking at the picture, my mums semi has the gutter running … I'm just looking at the picture, my mums semi has the gutter running straight vertically down into the drain and the one at the front goes through the garage flat roof into the drain system in garage.I'm guessing the drain was built over when the extension was built? Anyway would it be possible to have a hole to connect to the old drain by any chance? Or if not think it would be better along the wall of extension so as not to leak if it ever leaks in the future onto the roof maybe.I am no builder or expert or anything just thought I'd give my two pence worth

Yes may he to flush away any waste
    Maybe find any manhole covers and pour water down the extension drain and see if it is flowing through the drain gulley in manhole?
    Edited by: "slevinkelevra" 8th Apr

ding

Just have the outlet onto the flat roof then the water will flow over the … Just have the outlet onto the flat roof then the water will flow over the flat roof and into the gutter and drain with the flat roof water

That's exactly what mine is like and goes into a soakaway without any problems

I even get a reduction in my water rates as it doesn't run into the main sewer

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/csiman2/2014-06-House%20Pictures%20After%20Full%20Re-decoration%20Project%20-%20DSCF4821_zpsdee4p88m.jpg

Edited by: "chocci" 9th Apr

Find manhole(s), get some tracing dye.
    Also does next door's gutter have a downpipe or does it all discharge through yours.
    Discharging onto extention roof may lead to early failure of the roof felt, especially if both house only have the one outlet.

I personally wouldn't want to discharge the water straight onto the flat roof. I would want as little water as possible on it. By their very design they need periodic maintenance and have a limited life so putting extra on would increase the speed of deterioration and increase chance of a leak appearing.

Flynn.Jack

Find manhole(s), get some tracing dye.Also does next door's gutter have a … Find manhole(s), get some tracing dye.Also does next door's gutter have a downpipe or does it all discharge through yours.Discharging onto extention roof may lead to early failure of the roof felt, especially if both house only have the one outlet.

bigtimthecrispman

I personally wouldn't want to discharge the water straight onto the flat … I personally wouldn't want to discharge the water straight onto the flat roof. I would want as little water as possible on it. By their very design they need periodic maintenance and have a limited life so putting extra on would increase the speed of deterioration and increase chance of a leak appearing.

OP hasnt mentioned anything about discharging on to the flat roof.

Original Poster

Think any drain will be going off property to somewhere.

Personally neither. You still have the washing machine and sink outlet and a drain so it seems pointless just moving one.

If you want a more pleasing look you could box it in (with access). Maybe a bar area. Get a couple of flat base bar stools. Then you could sit outside and have a beer and talk to the wife while she is cooking/washing up. She could even pass you another beer when you have finished.
    Also would be good for drinks and food (buffet style) if you have friends and family over.

Or the cheap option is sit so you are looking down the garden then you won't see it!

Flynn.Jack

Find manhole(s), get some tracing dye.Also does next door's gutter have … Find manhole(s), get some tracing dye.Also does next door's gutter have a downpipe or does it all discharge through yours.Discharging onto extention roof may lead to early failure of the roof felt, especially if both house only have the one outlet.

bigtimthecrispman

I personally wouldn't want to discharge the water straight onto the flat … I personally wouldn't want to discharge the water straight onto the flat roof. I would want as little water as possible on it. By their very design they need periodic maintenance and have a limited life so putting extra on would increase the speed of deterioration and increase chance of a leak appearing.

Ding did in post 5 "Just have the outlet onto the flat roof then the water will flow over the flat roof and into the gutter and drain with the flat roof water"

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Personally neither. You still have the washing machine and sink outlet … Personally neither. You still have the washing machine and sink outlet and a drain so it seems pointless just moving one.If you want a more pleasing look you could box it in (with access). Maybe a bar area. Get a couple of flat base bar stools. Then you could sit outside and have a beer and talk to the wife while she is cooking/washing up. She could even pass you another beer when you have finished.Also would be good for drinks and food (buffet style) if you have friends and family over.Or the cheap option is sit so you are looking down the garden then you won't see it!

OP is trying to remove the large black downpipes from view. Doesnt seem pointless to me.

bigtimthecrispman

So you think passing a bit of extra water over a roof designed to carry water will make a difference, do you go out with an umberella and cover as much roof everytime it rains. Modern flat roofs with the rubber membrane will last a life time

Original Poster

Done, I've run the guttering pipe across the flat roof and I've removed the pipe on the left that used to carry the waste from the dishwater and fed that into the central sink pipe. Looks considerably better.

Only problem is the guttering on the flat roof is just resting there. I've not figured out a way to anchor it down. I don't want to screw it into the flat roof as that'll probably cause a leak at some point. Any suggestions? Thanks Dan

borat1234

Done, I've run the guttering pipe across the flat roof and I've removed … Done, I've run the guttering pipe across the flat roof and I've removed the pipe on the left that used to carry the waste from the dishwater and fed that into the central sink pipe. Looks considerably better.Only problem is the guttering on the flat roof is just resting there. I've not figured out a way to anchor it down. I don't want to screw it into the flat roof as that'll probably cause a leak at some point. Any suggestions? Thanks Dan

I just ran a bead of silicone along mine and it hasnt moved in 15 years. Plus the pipe outlet is pretty much wedged in to the outflow gutter (see my pic above)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you turn clothes inside out before washing?1724
      2. Selling advice55
      3. Decent hoover33
      4. Recommend a free reminder app1211

See more discussions