Runners HELP ME!!

Found 25th Mar
I’ve decided to run the Great North Run in September and have started training so need some decent trainers. Been to a running shop for Gait Analysis which they said I Overpronate slightly and would recommend supportive shoes. Following that they recommended Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 or Mizuno Wave Inspire 14... believe it or not £120 each!

Sooooo, can anyone recommend anything cheaper which would suit my needs and provide some sort of support. I’m not a fan of the mizuno anyway. Would stretch to £80/90. Thanks in advance!!
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
The wave insire 14 are this years model, sportshoes.com have the last 12 and 13 models for about £50 each.

I'd buy from the shop though as they've given you guidance and their knowledge and depending on the shop, they will take the shoes back and swap them if you dont get along with them.

Once you have a shoe thats perfect by all means purchase in future online
Husband has been running since he was a child , now in his late forties , he swears by new balance 860 . As mentioned above most of the brands will update to a new version each year but keep the same shoe name or code, so if you are looking to save money it's worth looking at older versions of the same shoe.
You can easily google models of trainers suitable for overpronators (the ones that are supportive are the best for them)... there are a few websites who list the best ones for the condition. Pick then the ones that suit your budget.
Overpronators tend to have fallen arches usually so you need support on the arch area.

Adidas has a section for overpronators, underpronators etc. That's how I got my Adidas trainers last time.

I have the opposite condition. I underpronate and I am sure this is one of the causes of my plantar fascitiis. The trainers for me are the ones with no support but lots of cushioning and labelled as neutral.
I need the right trainers as I wear them at work and I stand up for like 10 hours straight.
Edited by: "hearts22" 25th Mar
I bookmarked this it's like the hdmi cables all over again. You get what you pay for.. No you don't.. You pay for marketing. Didn't the head of physio at British sport say if the trainers are comfortable then run in them.. He used £30 aldi trainers in the London marathon. I also heard the Martin luther King speech on marketing. Brilliant. must post that up here sometime. Anyway.. Get something that's well made and fits.. Ignore the price
wayners37 m ago

I bookmarked this it's like the hdmi cables all over again. You get what …I bookmarked this it's like the hdmi cables all over again. You get what you pay for.. No you don't.. You pay for marketing. Didn't the head of physio at British sport say if the trainers are comfortable then run in them.. He used £30 aldi trainers in the London marathon. I also heard the Martin luther King speech on marketing. Brilliant. must post that up here sometime. Anyway.. Get something that's well made and fits.. Ignore the price

I've not read the article (I avoid DM) but barefoot running introduces a totally different set of potential injury issues to your body, neither is right or wrong 100% of thr time.

I know what you're saying though about shoes, are a pair of pumps for £10 any better or worse than a pair that are £100. In my experience I'd wreck my body in days when wearing minimalist shoes as I can't adapt to a mid or forefoot stike so I need some with cushioning. I still try and avoid spending more than £60 though unless i really like them, my current trail shoes were £100 and £125
Do it in wellies, think of the sponsorship.
get older models which will be cheaper. the shoes shop only stock this season's models which are expensive.

once you know which model, just buy it over the net. sportsshoes.com is a good place for previous models. i always buy my running shoes from the net and i buy older models. be careful to buy from a reputable dealer otherwise they can be fakes and will cause injury when you run as they give no support.

now that you know your gait, you can also look at other names with appropriate model for your gait. saucony and asics are good for running shoes.
It’s more about knowing your gait, getting appropriate support and cushioning if needed and then just running a lot! Remember cold baths do help if you have done strenuous run!
darlodge3 h, 13 m ago

I've not read the article (I avoid DM) but barefoot running introduces a …I've not read the article (I avoid DM) but barefoot running introduces a totally different set of potential injury issues to your body, neither is right or wrong 100% of thr time.I know what you're saying though about shoes, are a pair of pumps for £10 any better or worse than a pair that are £100. In my experience I'd wreck my body in days when wearing minimalist shoes as I can't adapt to a mid or forefoot stike so I need some with cushioning. I still try and avoid spending more than £60 though unless i really like them, my current trail shoes were £100 and £125

Sensible. It's just I've seen people say I won't look at anything under £150 yet no trainer manufacturers can offer any proof that there shoes will help stop injuries. What's funny is my work trainers that have toe protection are so comfortable I actually do jog to the local swimming pool with them on. They have metal springs in the sole.
wayners44 m ago

Sensible. It's just I've seen people say I won't look at anything under …Sensible. It's just I've seen people say I won't look at anything under £150 yet no trainer manufacturers can offer any proof that there shoes will help stop injuries. What's funny is my work trainers that have toe protection are so comfortable I actually do jog to the local swimming pool with them on. They have metal springs in the sole.

Metal springs, what do you do for a living, work in a circus!?

I've spent a fortune on shoes before, I had some Mizuno wave something once that were almost £200 and I've never had a shoe more uncomfortable, its was shocking for the money. Buy based on comfort, not fancy slogans, features or kudos points.

I've run with runners doing 50 or 100 mile races and their shoes were less than £30 and they'd run more than 1000 miles in them which is more than double the industry recommended figure to replace them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants