Posted 13th Jun 2021
Thinking of getting an induction hob in our new kitchen, have always used gas until this point.

Does anyone know how the running costs compare? I get that induction is more efficient however the price of gas per kWh is significantly less than electricity which might offset the lower efficiency.

I'm not, at this stage, considering the initial cost of the hob (or pans) ... only the actual running costs.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A typical gas hob is around 40% efficient in heating the contents of a pan whereas, an induction hob is around 90% efficient in the same test.
    This is because an induction hob excites the molecules of the pan, the pan is heating up and not the hob. Gas on the other hand looses 60% of the produced energy as it will escape around the pan and into the environment.

The rough guide is that gas is ¹/³ cheaper than gas and that would technically allow gas to come out cheaper by 10% however, what isn't taken into consideration is that in the test, both the gas and the induction hob were set on max. In the real world, unless you're preheating your pan, you wouldn't have your hob set to max. This is where the power cycles of an induction hob come into play as when it's off, your using 0% energy while keeping the temperature of your pan a constant, with gas on the other hand, there's a limit to how low they allow you to turn them down, this is to prevent an accidental blow out / carbon monoxide production. Sometimes, the lowest setting will still be too high and leave you with burnt on food if you don't keep your eye on it not to mention it's always burning and wasting energy when in use.

I don't have any exact figures for real world usage but, I believe they will either be equal cost per use or induction would be slightly cheaper.

With the current cost of gas and if you have solar panels, I would lean more towards induction hobs being the superior technology.
    Got to agree with the above regarding induction. I was a fan of gas but moved house where a ceramic hob was fitted which was a struggle to get used to. With the kitchen needing replacement at some point but not for another year or two paying to get a gas hob fitted now with all the additional pipe work only to have to move it when kitchen is replaced seems a waste so I went induction for convenience and have to say I'm converted, and it is noticeable how the area around the hob doesn't get warm like it did before so clearly less energy being wasted in this case.

The only drawbacks being needing all new pans (to be fair, the old ones were years old and knackered anyway, and you don't have to spend a fortune on new ones eg Dunelm, Range etc do basic pans for a tenner or less that are compatible and work well) and wok cooking not so easy as you can't really keep tossing stuff around the pan, it needs to stay flat on the surface.
    Just go with whichever technology will improve your quality of life the best, be it gas or induction.

Unless you're running a kitchen, are you really going to be using it for long enough for there to be an overriding difference in the running costs?!
    Gas hobs are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Although induction cooking is more efficient gas is about a quarter of the price of electricity per Kwh
    mutley113/06/2021 11:07

i was always under the impression that gas is always going to be cheaper …i was always under the impression that gas is always going to be cheaper than electricity so i am surprised at comments in this thread that says their electric bill has not changed since they changed to induction from gas. maybe they don't use the hob that often anyway?i don't like induction hobs and would never put one in my own home. i prefer the gas hob. i find it heats the food faster and more evenly. whether that is just me imagining it or reality, i don't actually know for sure.

Are you confusing induction with ceramic hobs?
    The cost of gas in my area is around 3p per kw and electricity is 15p. Even if a gas hob is only 60% efficient and induction 100 , running a gas hob would still cost around a third the cost of induction. Depends on how much you actually use the hob as to the difference this makes to your bill.
    deleted240282413/06/2021 18:35

The real question is how long do you expect the hob to last….gov are l …The real question is how long do you expect the hob to last….gov are looking at banning natural gas boilers and cookers due to climate change so if looking beyond 10 years then electricity is the safer bet!

This is our main consideration for the next hob, we are big fans of gas but we're also big fans of not changing our kitchen very often. Our current kitchen was done just after the turn of the century, and it's replacement will be made from materials that will (hopefully) outlast me, so we'll be heading for induction next time. Our oven has always been electric though.
    slimy3113/06/2021 20:09

This is our main consideration for the next hob, we are big fans of gas …This is our main consideration for the next hob, we are big fans of gas but we're also big fans of not changing our kitchen very often. Our current kitchen was done just after the turn of the century, and it's replacement will be made from materials that will (hopefully) outlast me, so we'll be heading for induction next time. Our oven has always been electric though.

Sounds like you might be knocking on a bit let's hope a pacemaker is not a consideration in the near future as the induction hob will definitely outlast you! (Unless you have long pan handles) (edited)
    Anonymous User
    mutley113/06/2021 11:07

i was always under the impression that gas is always going to be cheaper …i was always under the impression that gas is always going to be cheaper than electricity so i am surprised at comments in this thread that says their electric bill has not changed since they changed to induction from gas. maybe they don't use the hob that often anyway?i don't like induction hobs and would never put one in my own home. i prefer the gas hob. i find it heats the food faster and more evenly. whether that is just me imagining it or reality, i don't actually know for sure.

I disliked induction but when we got our new kitchen i was convinced to purchase one as it was aesthetically much more pleasing set into the black stone worktops as its just black glass.

Took me a few weeks to convert but now I would never go back to gas, sooo much faster at heating up and clean up takes seconds! Spills just don't bake on as induction hobs don't get very hot and it just wipes off.

We now have solar panels too which has reduced our overall electricity bill by about 50% so more than happy (edited)
    Can’t really answer your question, we moved from a house with an induction hob to one that has gas. I much prefer induction.
    Lot easier to clean and safer, quicker to heat food put but on down side pans can be expensive
    Not able to comment on accurate costs, but moved from gas hob to induction 3 months ago. No noticeable difference in electricity charges whatsoever, but a noticeable difference in gas consumption (and that's taking the colder month of March - with heating on - out of the equation). I believe it's more efficient but haven't had time to stack the figures up yet.

You'd be surprised how many pans are already induction safe - 75% of ours were and work fine.
    Author
    gazdoubleu13/06/2021 09:06

Gas hobs are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Although induction cooking …Gas hobs are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Although induction cooking is more efficient gas is about a quarter of the price of electricity per Kwh

Any idea of the efficiency of gas cooking?
    gazdoubleu13/06/2021 09:06

Gas hobs are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Although induction cooking …Gas hobs are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Although induction cooking is more efficient gas is about a quarter of the price of electricity per Kwh

i was always under the impression that gas is always going to be cheaper than electricity so i am surprised at comments in this thread that says their electric bill has not changed since they changed to induction from gas. maybe they don't use the hob that often anyway?

i don't like induction hobs and would never put one in my own home. i prefer the gas hob. i find it heats the food faster and more evenly. whether that is just me imagining it or reality, i don't actually know for sure.
    I'm with you on this one that gas is better

But it's proven knowledge that induction cooks faster so you likely haven't tried something relatively new

If you have money to spare induction is Easier but if your a middle earned going for gas is cheaper

I like seeing the gas makes me feel good cooking
    phoenix__13/06/2021 09:23

Any idea of the efficiency of gas cooking?

Put your hand near the side of a pan cooking on gas and you get burnt. Won't happen with induction so that answers the question about efficiency.
    Cost of gas over induction is a different question.

And I don't have the answer....

If you do need new pans then check TK Maxx
    Author
    u66454113/06/2021 12:38

Put your hand near the side of a pan cooking on gas and you get burnt. …Put your hand near the side of a pan cooking on gas and you get burnt. Won't happen with induction so that answers the question about efficiency.Cost of gas over induction is a different question.And I don't have the answer....If you do need new pans then check TK Maxx

Sure, gas isn't that efficient but it's also 3x cheaper per kWh than electricity ... Hence the uncertainty over actual running costs.
    Easy comparison might be how much your costs were while using induction hobs Vs. Gas hob over a month..
    Author
    paul_merton13/06/2021 13:57

Just go with whichever technology will improve your quality of life the …Just go with whichever technology will improve your quality of life the best, be it gas or induction.Unless you're running a kitchen, are you really going to be using it for long enough for there to be an overriding difference in the running costs?!

So, that is the 'right' answer ... And it's not a clear winner.
    paul_merton13/06/2021 13:57

Just go with whichever technology will improve your quality of life the …Just go with whichever technology will improve your quality of life the best, be it gas or induction.Unless you're running a kitchen, are you really going to be using it for long enough for there to be an overriding difference in the running costs?!

This ^
    Using the hob costs peanuts so I wouldn't even have that as a consideration. Induction is the way forward. It heats up and cools down the exact same as gas but it looks a lot smarter (unless you live in a farmhouse style house/kitchen) and my god is it 1000x easier to clean than a gas hob. also the vast majority of pans work on induction it isn't like it used to be.
    Anonymous User
    The real question is how long do you expect the hob to last….gov are looking at banning natural gas boilers and cookers due to climate change so if looking beyond 10 years then electricity is the safer bet!
    Anonymous User
    b4dr113/06/2021 13:55

Easy comparison might be how much your costs were while using induction …Easy comparison might be how much your costs were while using induction hobs Vs. Gas hob over a month..

A modern gas oven costs about £20 a year to run and the gas hob costs roughly £20 a year.

An electric hob is about £35 a year to run and an electric oven is about £35 a year to run.

Gas is slightly cheaper but less environmentally friendly as if you source your electric from a company that provides renewable electric you are completely green with your cooking.

The above is based on average use. (edited)
    Anonymous User
    yorkie1213/06/2021 19:51

The cost of gas in my area is around 3p per kw and electricity is 15p. …The cost of gas in my area is around 3p per kw and electricity is 15p. Even if a gas hob is only 60% efficient and induction 100 , running a gas hob would still cost around a third the cost of induction. Depends on how much you actually use the hob as to the difference this makes to your bill.

Difference is with an induction hob the heat isn’t on constantly, gas burns constantly but the induction hob will heat get to temperature then turn off until temp drops then heat again.
    deleted240282413/06/2021 20:14

Difference is with an induction hob the heat isn’t on constantly, gas b …Difference is with an induction hob the heat isn’t on constantly, gas burns constantly but the induction hob will heat get to temperature then turn off until temp drops then heat again.

Obviously that's part of the ' being more efficient' but it still costs you more than gas. Also even though you have to do it manually the gas can to be turned down once you get to the desired temperature too , if you don't in many cases the pot will boil over.
    deleted240282413/06/2021 18:35

The real question is how long do you expect the hob to last….gov are l …The real question is how long do you expect the hob to last….gov are looking at banning natural gas boilers and cookers due to climate change so if looking beyond 10 years then electricity is the safer bet!

Most domestic induction hobbs are only rated to last 10 years, 15 years at best.

Only new installations of gas are potentially likely to be phased out, if at all. There would be a few changes of government before gas would be phased out altogether, so its all hearsay.

Considering gas fired power stations still contribute 40% towards the uk National Grid I wouldn't be worrying too much about longevity of gas. Maybe if/when fusion reactors become viable we'll see big policy shifts.

nationalgrideso.com/gre…hts
    Compared to heating your home & water the running costs of your cooking hobs is going to negligible unless you use your kitchen professionally. Use what you prefer to cook with.
    Going for electric over gas for environmental reasons are mute if you don't create your own solar as it's all using gas to burn to electric anyways

Even if your supplier claims it's renewable I have issue with that statement for several reasons
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants