Running trainers

Posted 16th Jan
I've been recommended new Balance Fresh Foam running trainers. Are there any keen runners out there that could recommend any others or is it mainly down to how they feel/fit?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Recommended by who? and why?

Go to a proper running shop and get them to check your pronation.
mas9916/01/2020 10:19

Recommended by who? and why?Go to a proper running shop and get them to …Recommended by who? and why?Go to a proper running shop and get them to check your pronation.

Im just a casual runner, someone who does a lot more running recommended them, I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts.... Thanks for your help......
Key thing with running shoes is pronation. other than that its fit/comfort.
Ya. I agree. If you’re going to be doing a lot of running, get your pronation checked first, unless you don’t mind the extended version of shin splits, ankle, knee & hip pain.
as others said, you need to check your running gait. this can be done by visiting a shop that sells running shoes like runners need and wiggle, a proper running shoe shop that has a running machine that can test your gait. then there are lots of good brands for running shoes, each brand will have different models for the appropriate gait.

we are fans of saucony but there are also other decent brands.
As others have said - get your gait checked. It's very easy to buy the wrong type. How you run is way more important than how nice your shoes look.
Nike Vaporfly's
paulj4816/01/2020 12:32

Nike Vaporfly's

Might get an olympic qualifying time with those on ha ha
Whilst I agree with the idea of getting gait checked at a store, I often wonder how reliable it is. My understanding is that it’s checked on a treadmill, however road running vs treadmill is very different.

...or perhaps I’m not understanding how the shops fit you out?
Apart from the above I think how far and how often you will be running should be taken in to consideration. Spending a fortune on a pair if you’re only running 15-20 miles a week won’t be worth it
justonemore16/01/2020 13:30

Apart from the above I think how far and how often you will be running …Apart from the above I think how far and how often you will be running should be taken in to consideration. Spending a fortune on a pair if you’re only running 15-20 miles a week won’t be worth it

I probably do two 5ks and a 10k a week
Diggsy16/01/2020 13:02

Whilst I agree with the idea of getting gait checked at a store, I often …Whilst I agree with the idea of getting gait checked at a store, I often wonder how reliable it is. My understanding is that it’s checked on a treadmill, however road running vs treadmill is very different....or perhaps I’m not understanding how the shops fit you out?

you are not understanding the checking process. it has nothing to do with the surface that you are running on. it is to do with how you run, that is, how you land.

if you land where your feet puts more pressure on the outer edge than the inner edge then you need a shoe with more support on the outer edge. if your feet lands at the front or the back or flat in the middle then again you need support in those areas. shoes are built with support in different areas of the shoe for the different way people land when they run.

at the shop you are asked to run on the treadmill and they take a video of your run. they then play this back to see how your feet lands and will advise you on the type of shoe that you need.
justonemore16/01/2020 13:30

Apart from the above I think how far and how often you will be running …Apart from the above I think how far and how often you will be running should be taken in to consideration. Spending a fortune on a pair if you’re only running 15-20 miles a week won’t be worth it

this is terrible advice. doesn't matter whether you run long distances or not, getting the right shoes for running is important as it minimise injuries in the long term and although sport shoes are more expensive than ordinary trainers, you will get a better running experience wearing the proper shoes to run as they are built with support so the run will be more comfortable.

the shoes will also last longer as they are expensive for a reason. they are built to a higher standard than normal trainers and they are built to withstand more wear and tear than normal trainers so in the long run it is better value to spend the money on proper running shoes.
mutley116/01/2020 14:07

this is terrible advice. doesn't matter whether you run long distances or …this is terrible advice. doesn't matter whether you run long distances or not, getting the right shoes for running is important as it minimise injuries in the long term and although sport shoes are more expensive than ordinary trainers, you will get a better running experience wearing the proper shoes to run as they are built with support so the run will be more comfortable.the shoes will also last longer as they are expensive for a reason. they are built to a higher standard than normal trainers and they are built to withstand more wear and tear than normal trainers so in the long run it is better value to spend the money on proper running shoes.

What I tried to get over was yes but the correct runners for you and your running style but if you’re not running that much not worth spending £200+ when they are ones for half that price
justonemore16/01/2020 14:12

What I tried to get over was yes but the correct runners for you and your …What I tried to get over was yes but the correct runners for you and your running style but if you’re not running that much not worth spending £200+ when they are ones for half that price

but when it comes to protecting yourself from injuries and getting a more comfortable run, it is worth paying for that. a pair of proper running shoes will cost around £120 to £130 (and you can get them cheaper than this if you shop around), not £200+. a pair of ordinary trainers will cost about £50 to £60 so the difference is not that great when you think of what you are getting for that extra money.

a pair of running shoes will last twice as long, if not longer, than a pair of normal trainers so although you are paying extra, you aren't really as you would have had to buy 2 pairs of ordinary trainers.
mutley116/01/2020 14:03

you are not understanding the checking process. it has nothing to do with …you are not understanding the checking process. it has nothing to do with the surface that you are running on. it is to do with how you run, that is, how you land. if you land where your feet puts more pressure on the outer edge than the inner edge then you need a shoe with more support on the outer edge. if your feet lands at the front or the back or flat in the middle then again you need support in those areas. shoes are built with support in different areas of the shoe for the different way people land when they run.at the shop you are asked to run on the treadmill and they take a video of your run. they then play this back to see how your feet lands and will advise you on the type of shoe that you need.

Ah, that explains it much better than I understood it, thank you
mutley116/01/2020 14:17

but when it comes to protecting yourself from injuries and getting a more …but when it comes to protecting yourself from injuries and getting a more comfortable run, it is worth paying for that. a pair of proper running shoes will cost around £120 to £130 (and you can get them cheaper than this if you shop around), not £200+. a pair of ordinary trainers will cost about £50 to £60 so the difference is not that great when you think of what you are getting for that extra money.a pair of running shoes will last twice as long, if not longer, than a pair of normal trainers so although you are paying extra, you aren't really as you would have had to buy 2 pairs of ordinary trainers.

Although I agree with most of what you have said the part where you say running shoes last longer is not correct. Its generally accepted that running shoes should be only used for between 400 and 500 miles max. Some shoes last a lot less than that, the Nike Vaporflys last around 100 to 150 miles.
I remember the 80’s & 90’s & 00’s when people could just buy a pair of trainers, and go casual running, without worrying about gait & pronation
Mendoza16/01/2020 15:45

I remember the 80’s & 90’s & 00’s when people could just buy a pair of trai …I remember the 80’s & 90’s & 00’s when people could just buy a pair of trainers, and go casual running, without worrying about gait & pronation

I've been a runner since the 90s and there where shoes specific to gait back then.
paulj4816/01/2020 14:34

Although I agree with most of what you have said the part where you say …Although I agree with most of what you have said the part where you say running shoes last longer is not correct. Its generally accepted that running shoes should be only used for between 400 and 500 miles max. Some shoes last a lot less than that, the Nike Vaporflys last around 100 to 150 miles.

yes, 400 to 500 miles and you should change your running shoes for optimum protection and so on.
but try running in a normal pair of trainers and you will find they fall apart well before you have covered a fraction of this distance because they are not built to take that much pounding through all weather terrain. you get what you pay for.
Diggsy16/01/2020 14:25

Ah, that explains it much better than I understood it, thank you

when i had my gait tested, the video showed that i tended to land on the outer edge of my feet towards the back so i have running shoes that support that area of my feet as without the extra support there is a lot of pressure around my ankle area when it lands. this does not produce any pain but over a long distance and over time, it will do my ankle in.

that is what running shoes are all about. to give you support where you are going to pound on the area of your feet. they also have breathable mesh to help your feet breathe during your run.

before i started to wear running shoes, my trainers would not last very long as the area on the sole of the shoes around the ankle would rub away very quickly because that is where the wear and tear appears when my feet lands, but with running shoes, they last a lot longer as that area is supported and so the pressure on the sole of the shoe is less, helping to prevent the extreme wear in that area of the shoe. i find for me, a pair of running shoes will outlast 2 pairs of ordinary trainers so i haven't really spent that much more and i am getting much more comfortable trainers to wear.
Who thought buying running trainers would be so complicated
PHILREC7716/01/2020 17:43

Who thought buying running trainers would be so complicated

It isn't. Some people just like to complicate things. Unless you're a serious runner, which I don't think you are or you wouldn't be asking this question, then I don't think you need to go anywhere near as deep as is being suggested here.

Unless they're prohibitively expensive, I'd just go with what your more knowledgeable friend suggested.
Edited by: "deeky" 16th Jan
Mendoza16/01/2020 15:45

I remember the 80’s & 90’s & 00’s when people could just buy a pair of trai …I remember the 80’s & 90’s & 00’s when people could just buy a pair of trainers, and go casual running, without worrying about gait & pronation

and the 10's and 20's.
I do think everyone is now obsessed with pronation and supination now however what I will say is a comfortable and supportive shoe does matter so try them on. I also think a quick gait analysis by eye is worth it which they can do in shop in case you are wildly out. I used to run, got a muscle issue that had me in pain for years, sorted it then began training running (after buying decent shoes blindly onljne), ran a 10k and have damaged my post tibial tendon and now cant drive or walk properly at the moment. I've likely got underlying issues but I would say getting a quick analysis and trying them for support is worth it even if you aren't running mega miles.
Unless you need support shoes, these are probably the best for someone starting out, especially considering the price. They are one of the top (if not THE top) selling running shoe. I currently run in these, and have also just bought a pair of Pegasus Turbo 2's as increasing my mileage ready for a half marathon.

nike.com/gb/…601 - £66.78 with free delivery. Make sure you sign up to Nike Plus first (nike.com/gb/…don) and are signed in. This way you get 30 days to test your shoes and send them back if you dont like them. There are a few different colours for the same price available.

Follow this guide - brooksrunning.com/en_…der - to get a fairly good idea of whether you need support shoes or not. These also do 90 days to test your shoes out and can send them back if you dont like them.
Edited by: "awjh" 17th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants