Russia Today (Pravda) to be deranked by Google

Found 21st Nov 2017
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Just as the BBC censors by omission, so does Google with its ranking. There are countless stories of Google’s manipulation of search results to fit the owners’ agenda.

It’s a shame, I fear ‘freedom of the press’ will become as meaningless as ‘freedom of speech’ in this country and across the West. What’s more sad is that the mainstream news outlets are dominated by a handful of individuals (Murdoch, et al.) with their own agenda, typically profit.
davewave32 m ago

I fear Pravda and pity those who have no knowledge of Pravda.

I fear the NSA and Five Eyes invasive mass surveillance more than I do a Russian media outlet offering an alternate view on a story.

There’s a lot of chatter about ‘Russian hackers’ and all of that nonsense. Russia must have the best IT education system in the world of it can penetrate the defences America, the most technologically advanced country on the planet. Laughable. But, yeah, be wary of Russian propaganda
11 Comments
Original Poster
bbc.co.uk/new…644

Google is to "derank" stories from Kremlin-owned publications Russia Today (RT) and Sputnik in response to allegations about election meddling by President Putin's government.

Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt said the search giant needed to deal with the spread of misinformation.

RT has been described by US intelligence agencies as "Russia's state-run propaganda machine".

The publications said the move was a form of censorship.

Speaking at the Halifax International Security Forum, Mr Schmidt said: "We're well aware of this one, and we're working on detecting this kind of scenario you're describing and deranking those kinds of sites."

He then named two of Russia's biggest media outlets: RT, a TV and online news organisation, and Sputnik, an online media network.

"I am strongly not in favour of censorship. I am very strongly in favour of ranking. It's what we do," he added. "It's a very legitimate question as to how we rank, A or B, right? And we do the best we can in millions and millions of rankings every day," said Mr Schmidt.

But he added that it was a constant tug-of-war altering the search giant's algorithms to detect "weaponised" information because those seeking to manipulate the news agenda "will get better tools too".

Just as the BBC censors by omission, so does Google with its ranking. There are countless stories of Google’s manipulation of search results to fit the owners’ agenda.

It’s a shame, I fear ‘freedom of the press’ will become as meaningless as ‘freedom of speech’ in this country and across the West. What’s more sad is that the mainstream news outlets are dominated by a handful of individuals (Murdoch, et al.) with their own agenda, typically profit.
Original Poster
lockwoodisbored11 m ago

Just as the BBC censors by omission, so does Google with its ranking. …Just as the BBC censors by omission, so does Google with its ranking. There are countless stories of Google’s manipulation of search results to fit the owners’ agenda.It’s a shame, I fear ‘freedom of the press’ will become as meaningless as ‘freedom of speech’ in this country and across the West. What’s more sad is that the mainstream news outlets are dominated by a handful of individuals (Murdoch, et al.) with their own agenda, typically profit.

32499387-Leiz0.jpg
davewave24 m ago

Dear Dave, are you sure you aren't thinking of a fashion label?
davewave32 m ago

I fear the NSA and Five Eyes invasive mass surveillance more than I do a Russian media outlet offering an alternate view on a story.

There’s a lot of chatter about ‘Russian hackers’ and all of that nonsense. Russia must have the best IT education system in the world of it can penetrate the defences America, the most technologically advanced country on the planet. Laughable. But, yeah, be wary of Russian propaganda
"Russia Today (Pravda) to be deranked by Google"

And replaced by Fox news? Lol

There's always more than one side to a story, I for one value RT's perspective, it's good to be open minded.
Original Poster
FearOne14 h, 11 m ago

"Russia Today (Pravda) to be deranked by Google"And replaced by Fox news? …"Russia Today (Pravda) to be deranked by Google"And replaced by Fox news? LolThere's always more than one side to a story, I for one value RT's perspective, it's good to be open minded.

Yes which is why the propaganda machine is being deranked... journalism is a responsibility for independent professionals not government agencies.
Dave, control of the media is essential if one has to have any hope of controlling the masses.

We simply can't control the masses with our propaganda if they have alternative propaganda pumped out by Ruskies.

That's what this is about - getting rid of propaganda that contradicts our propaganda.
Original Poster
tryn2help9 h, 26 m ago

Dave, control of the media is essential if one has to have any hope of …Dave, control of the media is essential if one has to have any hope of controlling the masses.We simply can't control the masses with our propaganda if they have alternative propaganda pumped out by Ruskies.That's what this is about - getting rid of propaganda that contradicts our propaganda.

Has RT criticised the great leader Putin ... vs Has BBC criticised UK prime ministers?
davewave23rd Nov

Has RT criticised the great leader Putin ... vs Has BBC criticised UK …Has RT criticised the great leader Putin ... vs Has BBC criticised UK prime ministers?

The BBC are much further to the left than RT, of course they'll criticise a centre right pm.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 24th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions