Expired

Rust on car wheel arches, repair method?

Found 20th Sep 2013
Hi,

I have rust forming on the wheel arches of my Ford Puma and want to get it sorted but need some advice.

Has anyone here used hammerite to help with rust and can offer some help and advice on techniques or products?
Community Updates
5 Comments
Depends on how far gone the arches are, it's a very common problem with most fords, also keep an eye around the fuel cap, KA's tend to be the worst though, it seems to be the inner liner on the arches where the problem builds up so you may have to get in behind them to check the progress from behind before you do anything from the outside first, as you may just be covering up further problems, if it is coming through the arches will probably need cutting out and replacing, if not get some Waxoyl in there (and the sills) before it does, we use solvit, then very fine grade sand paper, when you paint it if you do it yourself get the paint from a colour matching shop rather than fords or halfords, your paint code will either be on a plate on a pillar or the VIN plate,
Original Poster
traceym

Depends on how far gone the arches are, it's a very common problem with … Depends on how far gone the arches are, it's a very common problem with most fords, also keep an eye around the fuel cap, KA's tend to be the worst though, it seems to be the inner liner on the arches where the problem builds up so you may have to get in behind them to check the progress from behind before you do anything from the outside first, as you may just be covering up further problems, if it is coming through the arches will probably need cutting out and replacing, if not get some Waxoyl in there (and the sills) before it does, we use solvit, then very fine grade sand paper, when you paint it if you do it yourself get the paint from a colour matching shop rather than fords or halfords, your paint code will either be on a plate on a pillar or the VIN plate,

It was done previously by the owner before me but it has now started to bubble up and crack in places with very slight colouring. I did ask the garage and thet said they couldn't do much because it's not curable in the long run though they did also suggest the Waxoyl for the underside also. Thanks for the advice.
That's the worst thing about pumas, great cars but they are dam rust buckets. If its a car you intend keeping for a while take it to a decent body shop and they will deal although it will be expensive and probably will not cost out. Anything else in all honestly is just a big waste of time. No matter what you do it will be back in 3 to 6 months and especially if its been repaired before on the cheap. As traceym stated the only way to fix properly is to have the arches cut and replaced.
Your welcome Steve, just sorry I couldn't have said something more encouraging, if you'd been nearer to London I could have pointed you in the right direction for a reasonably priced good bodyshop.
Original Poster
No worries, this is the second Ford I've had where rust let it down :-(
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants