Ryanair cancellation question

Found 16th Jul
Ryanair have cancelled my flight this morning back from Pisa to Leeds Bradford. Next flight was Wednesday, but there was a single ticket (supposedly) to Liverpool today getting me in only an hour late. Problem is my car is at Leeds Bradford. I have insurance (Silver cover with Coverwise), but I think theirs a £50 excess for such things. Shouldn't Ryanair help me out here at all?
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
What do you want the insurance to do?
mrty2 m ago

What do you want the insurance to do?

Pay for me to get from Liverpool to Leeds Bradford. Next flight back was Wednesday so I'm doing someone a favour by not being put up in a hotel somewhere etc.
It's going to be near £100 to get me where I should have been and about 5-6 hours later. Flight cost £35 for that leg I think.
I think you should ask Ryanair .
Gave me two hours notice aswell.
rogparki4 m ago

Probably best bet. I just don't want to be standing around in Liverpool waiting for an answer when I need to be at work really.
MIDURIX8 m ago

Probably best bet. I just don't want to be standing around in Liverpool …Probably best bet. I just don't want to be standing around in Liverpool waiting for an answer when I need to be at work really.

I'm not an expert on Air Travel law (as many on here "claim" to be ) but I would think it would be Ryanair's obligation to get you to your original destination (be it by coach, train or taxi ) , although maybe if you accept the alternative ticket it perhaps relieves them of their obligations . I should check with them before you accept ,
rogparki17 m ago

That would be a tad naive based on Ryanair's track record of trying to dodge liabilities
rogparki10 m ago

I'm not an expert on Air Travel law (as many on here "claim" to be ) but I …I'm not an expert on Air Travel law (as many on here "claim" to be ) but I would think it would be Ryanair's obligation to get you to your original destination (be it by coach, train or taxi ) , although maybe if you accept the alternative ticket it perhaps relieves them of their obligations . I should check with them before you accept ,

I've looked at the old articles when Ryanair cancelled loads of flights last year and I think it's with my insurance.

34366161-9TTlB.jpg
ccnp8 m ago

That would be a tad naive based on Ryanair's track record of trying to …That would be a tad naive based on Ryanair's track record of trying to dodge liabilities

I would never Fly Ryanair (presumably to save a few quid) . Their cancellation rate is horrendous, often last minute and nearly always done to allow a more profitable flight to take place .
I'm not sure if the insurance works like car insurance does but you could ask the insurance company to claim the excess back off the third party ( Ryanair ) since it isn't your fault etc.
You don't explicitly mention if Ryanair flew you out there. If this is the return leg of a contract then they have to get you back to your car. If you flew out with someone else, they don't have to do that.

HOWEVER, they offered you an alternative and it may be the alternative would be deemed reasonable if they included transport back to Leeds. It would depend on how clear they made such detail and what effort you made to elicit the info.

In reality; your insurance MAY cover the costs with the excess, if it was a return coupon, being recoverable from Ryanair IF your insurer agrees the alternative was not reasonable. Reasonable does not include you thinking you are saving Ryanair money.

In general, you go with the airline alternative unless you can demonstrate you have a definitive need (work, school, medical etc) to make alternative arrangements. When you book cheap and nasty, expect no frills.
ccnp2 h, 17 m ago

You don't explicitly mention if Ryanair flew you out there. If this is …You don't explicitly mention if Ryanair flew you out there. If this is the return leg of a contract then they have to get you back to your car. If you flew out with someone else, they don't have to do that.HOWEVER, they offered you an alternative and it may be the alternative would be deemed reasonable if they included transport back to Leeds. It would depend on how clear they made such detail and what effort you made to elicit the info.In reality; your insurance MAY cover the costs with the excess, if it was a return coupon, being recoverable from Ryanair IF your insurer agrees the alternative was not reasonable. Reasonable does not include you thinking you are saving Ryanair money.In general, you go with the airline alternative unless you can demonstrate you have a definitive need (work, school, medical etc) to make alternative arrangements. When you book cheap and nasty, expect no frills.

I flew out with Ryanair. The person on the phone was asking me which airports were close to Pisa etc and didn't seem to have a clue. He said there was one ticket left to a reasonably close airport and I wasn't waiting til Wednesday due to work.
Tried phoning them and phone lines are closed because they are busy and live chat is closed. Fantastic.
Swissport at Liverpool have said because they've failed to get me to Leeds if I rent a car now I can get money back.
Sounds like you may get lucky.

Don't want to be nannyish but you want a copy of your travel policy in your bag/or in your email on the phone and your phone charged when travelling. A call to the insurance company would have told you what they would have covered. Or that they were going to be difficult and warned you to keep costs down.

I still rate LV annual policies. So does Martin Lewis
ccnp3 h, 19 m ago

Sounds like you may get lucky.Don't want to be nannyish but you want a …Sounds like you may get lucky.Don't want to be nannyish but you want a copy of your travel policy in your bag/or in your email on the phone and your phone charged when travelling. A call to the insurance company would have told you what they would have covered. Or that they were going to be difficult and warned you to keep costs down.I still rate LV annual policies. So does Martin Lewis

Coverwise are highly rated and I had all the documents on my phone, but I don't really understand half of it.
How did things turn out?
chocci9 h, 50 m ago

How did things turn out?

I flew into Liverpool and was told by the desk there to rent a car and drive to Leeds Bradford, which I did. Will sort out the paperwork later on.
MIDURIX2 h, 35 m ago

I flew into Liverpool and was told by the desk there to rent a car and …I flew into Liverpool and was told by the desk there to rent a car and drive to Leeds Bradford, which I did. Will sort out the paperwork later on.

Why are Swiss port refunding car hire fee rather than Ryanair?
chocci10 h, 5 m ago

Why are Swiss port refunding car hire fee rather than Ryanair?

Ryanair staff are only at the checkin desk at Liverpool I think. Swissport have the contract for ground handling like at Leeds Bradford, so the information desk it maned by Swissport people on Liverpool. I never said Swissport would be refunding me though.
MIDURIX2 h, 42 m ago

Ryanair staff are only at the checkin desk at Liverpool I think. Swissport …Ryanair staff are only at the checkin desk at Liverpool I think. Swissport have the contract for ground handling like at Leeds Bradford, so the information desk it maned by Swissport people on Liverpool. I never said Swissport would be refunding me though.

But you said Swiss port advised you to get car hire. I very much doubt Ryanair will refund you.good luck anyway.
Edited by: "chocci" 18th Jul
chocci40 m ago

But you said Swiss port advised you to get car hire. I very much doubt …But you said Swiss port advised you to get car hire. I very much doubt Ryanair will refund you.good luck anyway.

Swissport are employed by Ryanair to be their ground staff and information office staff. They have put it in writing saying they will. So no luck needed.
chocci18th Jul

But you said Swiss port advised you to get car hire. I very much doubt …But you said Swiss port advised you to get car hire. I very much doubt Ryanair will refund you.good luck anyway.

ccnp16th Jul

Sounds like you may get lucky.Don't want to be nannyish but you want a …Sounds like you may get lucky.Don't want to be nannyish but you want a copy of your travel policy in your bag/or in your email on the phone and your phone charged when travelling. A call to the insurance company would have told you what they would have covered. Or that they were going to be difficult and warned you to keep costs down.I still rate LV annual policies. So does Martin Lewis

.MUFC.16th Jul

I'm not sure if the insurance works like car insurance does but you could …I'm not sure if the insurance works like car insurance does but you could ask the insurance company to claim the excess back off the third party ( Ryanair ) since it isn't your fault etc.

Got an email from Ryanair this morning. No compensation becasue it was an operational issue at the airport and out of their control, but they have just paid me for the car hire. Might give insurance a bell.
MIDURIX20 m ago

Got an email from Ryanair this morning. No compensation becasue it was an …Got an email from Ryanair this morning. No compensation becasue it was an operational issue at the airport and out of their control, but they have just paid me for the car hire. Might give insurance a bell.

good result then really
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants