Ryanair priority boarding - worth it?

Found 8th May 2016
HI, travelling to Malta with RyanAir for 10 nights, so need to book online to be able to print off the boarding pass (as checkin only opens 7 days before if you haven't pre-booked seats, so I wouldn't have the pass before I departed). Is it worth going for a priority seat (with cabin bags guarranteed) or just get the cheapest available? The difference is about £28 (ie standard £24 all in all, priority £52)?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskBoard GameRyanair
17 Comments
Depends exactly why do you need priority boarding
Have you got the ryanair app i use it all the time and helping save the trees
Edited by: "archer1204" 8th May 2016
Go for the cheapest - if it doesn't work well on the outward flight, pay for priority boarding for the return flight on the day at the airport. We found it to be immensely cheaper when doing this on a flight from Portugal. Not sure why it's so expensive to pay for it this side! Never had an issue finding seats together though using Ryanair, really depends on time of year, school holidays etc.
I guess it's just the thought of guarranteed space in the cabin for hand baggage (as we only have one hold bag @15kg), and maybe not having to fight for seats together...
You can get cheaper seats and get priority boarding if you are not bothered about the extra legroom
There's usually plenty of space for luggage, so just go with the cheapest option if that's your only concern. They usually try to take larger bags off people at checkin or at the gate. Just tell them you've got fragile items in it & you'll be ok.
If you're concerned about having a boarding pass printed off before you leave the UK, you should check your destination for access to a printer (hotel, landlord etc.). I know for a fact that there's an internet cafe in Bugibba, for example - I was there in January. Also look into the Ryanair app mentioned earlier. I'm not familiar with it, but suspect you won't need to print anything off if you use it. You could always book your seats for the journey home. Cost us £6 each, & we were able to check in a month before the flight.
Edited by: "neilmacdonald716" 8th May 2016
I like sitting next to an exit & a window... so yes it would be worth it for me
I recently returned from malta a couple of weeks ago.As i wasnt in a rush this time i normally go for seats in the first or 2nd row i went for the middle of the aircraft.Needless to say as soon as the aircraft came to a stop there was the usual rush to block the aisles so instead i just carried on watching my film.Malta is a really amazing place lots to see and do.If you are looking to use the buses especially out of valletta try not to use them during the peak hours.
Everyone that books that flight gets a seat, wether your on first or last it still wont go till everyones on!
ellese

Everyone that books that flight gets a seat, wether your on first or last … Everyone that books that flight gets a seat, wether your on first or last it still wont go till everyones on!

Yes but if you book priority boarding then you are guaranteed to have your hand luggage above your head.If by the time you get on the plane you havnt booked priority your luggage just gets put somewhere where theres a space sometimes your lucky sometimes your not.

Which airport are you flying from?
archer1204

Yes but if you book priority boarding then you are guaranteed to have … Yes but if you book priority boarding then you are guaranteed to have your hand luggage above your head.If by the time you get on the plane you havnt booked priority your luggage just gets put somewhere where theres a space sometimes your lucky sometimes your not.

It's only the last10-15% of people they ask to put bags in the hold (if it's a packed flight)
Then when you are walking down the corridor just rip the little tag they put on off and walk on the plane with your bag, they don't take you bag off you at that point, as you are asked to just leave it next to the plane so have plenty of time to take the little paper tag off
Easy

Or just keep an eye on the gate and get there in the line early anyone
Edited by: "lidds" 14th May 2016
jp297

Which airport are you flying from?

Liverpoool
lidds

It's only the last10-15% of people they ask to put bags in the hold (if … It's only the last10-15% of people they ask to put bags in the hold (if it's a packed flight)Then when you are walking down the corridor just rip the little tag they put on off and walk on the plane with your bag, they don't take you bag off you at that point, as you are asked to just leave it next to the plane so have plenty of time to take the little paper tag offEasyOr just keep an eye on the gate and get there in the line early anyone

that does not work anymore - if they tag your bag for the hold they also mark your boarding card!

EliTom
lidds

It's only the last10-15% of people they ask to put bags in the hold (if … It's only the last10-15% of people they ask to put bags in the hold (if it's a packed flight)Then when you are walking down the corridor just rip the little tag they put on off and walk on the plane with your bag, they don't take you bag off you at that point, as you are asked to just leave it next to the plane so have plenty of time to take the little paper tag offEasyOr just keep an eye on the gate and get there in the line early anyone

depends how close to the rules they gate staff work to

the official line is the first 90 bags are allowed ..... so if it is a route used by many expats then all will have cabin bags only

best bet is to get in the non priority queue as soon as possible and hope there are not 90 with priority boarding!

EliTom
question for the Ryanair experts

does the checkin for non reserved seats start at 00.01 7 days before the flight departure date or 168 hours before the flight departure time?

EliTom
elitom

that does not work anymore - if they tag your bag for the hold they also … that does not work anymore - if they tag your bag for the hold they also mark your boarding card!EliTom

Worked fine for me the last few times I have flown (most recently a couple of weeks ago)
Also used the excuse I have work in my bag I need to do on the plane a few times.

If you look on the departure boards most airports will have a Ryan air 'zone' just hang around there until your gate is called that way you will be able to get to the front fairly quick
I found it amusing a few years ago departing from LGW. The priority queue left the departure gate first but were then ushered on to a bus, which was then filled up with the rest of the passengers - the priority passengers were the last ones off the bus and on the plane.

On another point, what if everyone pays to be priority?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants