Ryanair seeks July return with 40% of flights and masks required

Lead deal editor35
Posted 12th May
Thoughts?

Ryanair plans to restore 40% of its flight schedule from July, with all crew and passengers required to wear face masks and pass temperature checks.

The budget airline said it hopes to have nearly 1,000 flights per day, with 90% of its normal network on offer.

This would be dependent on governments lifting restrictions on flights within the European Union, restrictions that were put in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

Ryanair said that "effective public health measures" such as temperature checks would also be needed at airports to ensure it is safe for passengers and crew to travel while COVID-19 remains a threat.

Other measures would include fewer checked bags, online check-in, downloading boarding passes to smartphones and social distancing where possible, the airline added.

A limited inflight service will be offered - pre-packaged snacks and drinks and payment to be cashless only. There will be no queues for toilets, although passengers will be able to access these by request.

During July and August, passengers will also have to give details of their trip at check-in, including how long their visit will be and their address at their destination. This information will be given to EU governments to help them monitor any isolation regulations.

3461692-5dUSG.jpg
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I can just imagine they'll be selling you a mask for £70 if you turn up to fly without one.
35 Comments
If that’s the case I want my refund they promised, before sending me a damn credit note
whatyadoinsucka12/05/2020 08:31

If that’s the case I want my refund they promised, before sending me a d …If that’s the case I want my refund they promised, before sending me a damn credit note

Ah no, chased them since? Assume you have
I can just imagine they'll be selling you a mask for £70 if you turn up to fly without one.
Dan_8212/05/2020 08:33

Ah no, chased them since? Assume you have

Yes, the option for a refund comes back as a credit note 8-9 days later which you can accept or request a refund again, which then states they will put you on a refund list (the credit note is valid 12 months) the refund is only payable once the pandemic is over, breaking Eu law et al

My bank has processed a MasterCard chargeback, not heard anything in a few weeks
Edited by: "whatyadoinsucka" 12th May
whatyadoinsucka12/05/2020 08:36

Yes, the option for a refund comes back as a credit note 8-9 days later …Yes, the option for a refund comes back as a credit note 8-9 days later which you can accept or request a refund again, which then states they will put you on a refund list (the credit note is valid 12 months) the refund is only payable once the pandemic is over, breaking Eu law et alMy bank has processed a MasterCard chargeback, not heard anything in a few weeks

Ah what a pain in the you know what :/

Hopefully you'll get your refund sooner, rather than later. Let us know how you get on and good luck with it all! @whatyadoinsucka
Can't people do without a holiday for one year.?
Jaestar6912/05/2020 08:34

I can just imagine they'll be selling you a mask for £70 if you turn up to …I can just imagine they'll be selling you a mask for £70 if you turn up to fly without one.

Wouldn't surprise me they'll charge extra to breathe the air in the plane lol!
Credit notes shouldn't be allowed most people want the cash!
I still don't get this. We know that someone can suffer from Covid without any symptoms so temperature checks are valueless. Masks only offer very limited protection, least of all to the wearer - witness the still ongoing debate about the value of wearing them. Air in an aircraft cabin is constantly recycled - it must be as there's no breathable air way up there, so any Covid will also be constantly recycled within this aluminium tube. Unless everybody wears full medical grade PPE ( and even the NHS is short of that) then how can this situation ever be safe?
My worry is what happens when you already have a booking for this summer? If the airlines are flying and not cancelling, but you don't want to/can't travel because of the new quarantine rule, you won't be entitled to a refund!
Xippi12/05/2020 10:07

I still don't get this. We know that someone can suffer from Covid without …I still don't get this. We know that someone can suffer from Covid without any symptoms so temperature checks are valueless. Masks only offer very limited protection, least of all to the wearer - witness the still ongoing debate about the value of wearing them. Air in an aircraft cabin is constantly recycled - it must be as there's no breathable air way up there, so any Covid will also be constantly recycled within this aluminium tube. Unless everybody wears full medical grade PPE ( and even the NHS is short of that) then how can this situation ever be safe?

There will never be 100% safety u till a vaccine is made, the point of the isolation is to make sure the hospitals can cope with the illness

I still don't get this. We know that someone can suffer from Covid without …I still don't get this. We know that someone can suffer from Covid without any symptoms so temperature checks are valueless. Masks only offer very limited protection, least of all to the wearer - witness the still ongoing debate about the value of wearing them. Air in an aircraft cabin is constantly recycled - it must be as there's no breathable air way up there, so any Covid will also be constantly recycled within this aluminium tube. Unless everybody wears full medical grade PPE ( and even the NHS is short of that) then how can this situation ever be safe?

it cant, Sadly people will put themselves and their week or two in the sun above their own and everyone elses health to go somewhere that will be partially open (if it all and if they are even accepting tourists from the UK) because thats what they've always done.
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 12th May
AgentDaleCooper12/05/2020 08:46

do not assume all flights = holidays. I fly a number of times a week for business. I am still flying now but its more inconvenient than being able to get on a commercial flight with the holiday goers than through the government.

Asymptomatic people probably aren't coughing or sneezing as much so it's easy to assume they're probably not spreading it anywhere near as much as a typical symptomatic person would etc.. hence risk is possibly much lower but sadly there is always likely to be a risk whilst ever Corona is around etc..

Similar argument for kids returning to school,They will always be at risk but then there are other risks too, i,e being run over by a bus etc..
Dan_8212/05/2020 08:41

Ah what a pain in the you know what :/ Hopefully you'll get your refund …Ah what a pain in the you know what :/ Hopefully you'll get your refund sooner, rather than later. Let us know how you get on and good luck with it all! @whatyadoinsucka

I had an holiday booked via Onthebeach. Flights with Ryanair, on there FAQ's they're suggesting the time frame for refunds are as follows:

Ryanair have estimated that they will get through the refunds as below

• March bookings - 1-2 months
  • April bookings - 2-3 months
  • May bookings - 3-6 months
.MUFC.12/05/2020 13:31

I had an holiday booked via Onthebeach. Flights with Ryanair, on there …I had an holiday booked via Onthebeach. Flights with Ryanair, on there FAQ's they're suggesting the time frame for refunds are as follows:Ryanair have estimated that they will get through the refunds as belowMarch bookings - 1-2 monthsApril bookings - 2-3 monthsMay bookings - 3-6 months

Upto 6 months?! God damn.
Dan_8212/05/2020 13:35

Upto 6 months?! God damn.

Yes, Indeed. The price we pay for low cost travel!

They owe me around around £280!
.MUFC.12/05/2020 13:41

Yes, Indeed. The price we pay for low cost travel! They owe me around …Yes, Indeed. The price we pay for low cost travel! They owe me around around £280!

I've travelled with them 3 times, and no issues, so guess i've been lucky - even more now if that's the waiting times re payments and what you're chasing

Does make you think twice now though.
Dan_8212/05/2020 13:50

I've travelled with them 3 times, and no issues, so guess i've been lucky …I've travelled with them 3 times, and no issues, so guess i've been lucky - even more now if that's the waiting times re payments and what you're chasing Does make you think twice now though.

I've never had any issues with Ryanair either but yes it'll certainly make me think twice now. However they're not the only airline that's mishandled the situation etc.. Just hope they're all still around after the pandemic. If it means me waiting 6 months for an eventual refund and saves someone a job it'll be worth it. These are unprecedented times.
.MUFC.12/05/2020 13:55

I've never had any issues with Ryanair either but yes it'll certainly make …I've never had any issues with Ryanair either but yes it'll certainly make me think twice now. However they're not the only airline that's mishandled the situation etc.. Just hope they're all still around after the pandemic. If it means me waiting 6 months for an eventual refund and saves someone a job it'll be worth it. These are unprecedented times.

Agree and good luck with everything (Also stay safe)
Dan_8212/05/2020 13:56

Agree and good luck with everything (Also stay safe)

Thank you, You too and everyone else chasing refunds etc...

I can just imagine they'll be selling you a mask for £70 if you turn up to …I can just imagine they'll be selling you a mask for £70 if you turn up to fly without one.

You might get a few passengers that way, but more likely every passenger will be charged for:
- temperature checks at the airport, as only Ryanair can conduct those and no one can escape that.
- request to toilets as no queues are allowed.
Edited by: "jordanleno" 12th May
Temperature checks are stupid though, if your sick and you want to travel just take paracetamol and your unlikely to register with a tempreture….

You won't even get into the airport terminal without a mask, which the airport operators will gladly sell to you at whatever price they like.

Not all people who fly are doing so for pleasure. My partners family is all Italian and some quite sick, it’s a luxury to fly and see them I know, but being without family sucks, especially with the times we’re in now.
groenleader12/05/2020 14:30

Temperature checks are stupid though, if your sick and you want to travel …Temperature checks are stupid though, if your sick and you want to travel just take paracetamol and your unlikely to register with a tempreture….

Yeah because thats really clever 😡😡

Why ONE year, what is going to change?
.MUFC.12/05/2020 13:28

Asymptomatic people probably aren't coughing or sneezing as much so it's …Asymptomatic people probably aren't coughing or sneezing as much so it's easy to assume they're probably not spreading it anywhere near as much as a typical symptomatic person would etc.. hence risk is possibly much lower but sadly there is always likely to be a risk whilst ever Corona is around etc.. Similar argument for kids returning to school,They will always be at risk but then there are other risks too, i,e being run over by a bus etc..

It is true that asymptomatic (never get symptoms) are not high risk at transmission as they have been shown to have strong immune systems and low viral loads.

But... Around half of transmissions are from PRE symptomatic people who have yet to have symptoms.

This is why they need to get a contact tracing app to instantly quarantine contacts of people with recent symptoms who might spread the virus without knowing they have it

(Summary of recent Oxford University paper)
jameshothothot13/05/2020 08:11

It is true that asymptomatic (never get symptoms) are not high risk at …It is true that asymptomatic (never get symptoms) are not high risk at transmission as they have been shown to have strong immune systems and low viral loads.But... Around half of transmissions are from PRE symptomatic people who have yet to have symptoms.This is why they need to get a contact tracing app to instantly quarantine contacts of people with recent symptoms who might spread the virus without knowing they have it(Summary of recent Oxford University paper)

Good point, I agree.

Still though if they're pre-symptomatic they wouldn't be coughing and/or sneezing as much as a symptomatic person would be. Unfortunately it's all a balance of "risk" I guess. Of course everyone coughs and sneezes potentially spreading it etc.. The pre-symptomatic thing certainly makes it harder to control and why I'm pleased I'm not the one making the key decisions but reducing the risk is probably the best solution.
joyf453613/05/2020 07:57

Why ONE year, what is going to change?

a vaccine hopefully
Why travel with this company? Not used them, 15 years since I watched an incident with then refusing to open toilets on a plane for a young girl.

Some people booked their holiday before this all started 😡
dazzler369313/05/2020 14:07

Some people booked their holiday before this all started 😡

I imagine most people did.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions