S6 egde, no wifi calling

Found 21st Aug 2015
Can anyone tell me where I stand with this.. I took a new contract out with a third party at the end of July for an s6 edge on ee, today I received a txt from ee saying my wifi calling is setup and all I have to do is enable it... after calling technical they say as the phone is 3rd party it will not come with WiFi calling. I have since spoken to the the 3rd party and they say I can't return it as it's gone past the 14 day cooling off period. I've been sold a phone which can't do what is advertised and nowhere on there website does it say.. wifi calling not supported due to phone being 3rd party. I'm waiting for manager phone me back but would like to know your views on this... Thanks

10 Comments

Is the wifi calling not networked provider specific. for example I am on 3 with a sim only deal and they now allow wifi calling and text when there is no mobile signal. I can use it on any phone I just have to down load the 3 app. I take it EE must have the software pre installed in their phones.

Original Poster

Hi no I have to switch the option on in settings, but as the hasn't come directly from ee I have not got the setting... EE have told me that even though I'm on there network I won't get the option to use it as the phone was purchased from a 3rd party.... But my argument is, the 3rd party didn't state this would not work even though they know about it and nowhere on there site does it mention it won't work. These phones where made for wifi calling as advertised by Kevin bacon on TV. But unknown to consumers buying an s6 edge for 3rd parties like car phone warehouse does not support it.... So do I have a leg to stand on trying to return phone? Thank

You've got no chance. Wifi calling is only advertised by EE and not by Samsung themselves. Unless the shop you bought it from *specifically* mentions Wifi calling in the sales description then you haven't got a leg to stand on. The EE ones come with an EE label on the box saying they're wifi calling capable. You can flash an EE ROM with ODIN if you really want - thus making it an 'EE phone' which will then have wifi calling capabilities; but if yours is SIM free then it at least has none of the low-level tracking software that EE S6 users have been moaning about.

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling
Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers won't be able to support WiFi Calling.

It's all rubbish anyway, it's not some new technology, it's been out for years, the Galaxy S2 supported it 4 years ago (some phones even longer), the networks just massively restrict it so they can hype it up later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network#Devices
voip.about.com/od/…htm

Original Poster

misterleoni

You've got no chance. Wifi calling is only advertised by EE and not by … You've got no chance. Wifi calling is only advertised by EE and not by Samsung themselves. Unless the shop you bought it from *specifically* mentions Wifi calling in the sales description then you haven't got a leg to stand on. The EE ones come with an EE label on the box saying they're wifi calling capable. You can flash an EE ROM with ODIN if you really want - thus making it an 'EE phone' which will then have wifi calling capabilities; but if yours is SIM free then it at least has none of the low-level tracking software that EE S6 users have been moaning about.

​yes it is advertised by EE and on a Samsung S6 phone, so naturally thinking if you got the phone on EE contract then it would support it... Adverts don't say you have to purchased phone through EE, it just say ON EE network.

Surely your problem is with EE and the mis leading advert?

wolfy001

​yes it is advertised by EE and on a Samsung S6 phone, so naturally t … ​yes it is advertised by EE and on a Samsung S6 phone, so naturally thinking if you got the phone on EE contract then it would support it... Adverts don't say you have to purchased phone through EE, it just say ON EE network.

How is that the seller's fault though? They're not EE? As the person above says, if anything it's EE you should be moaning at - though their assumption is that you will buy the phone from them. Your only option, really, is to flash EE firmware (visit XDA Developers for that) or try and find someone to do a trade, which I don't imagine would be too hard.

Flash it with a EE stock rom and bam will have the setting needed

emodan

Flash it with a EE stock rom and bam will have the setting needed

This is actually better as you won't have any of EE's crap on it.

Just use whatsapp. Story over bro
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions