S8 or S9

Found 20th Jul
I am looking at the S9 deal but there is S8 deal also available, 24 months with vodafone.

The S9 costs £75 more upfront so I am struggling to decide if the S8 deal is better value.

Anyone got any opinion please? Also anyone bought from mobiles.co.uk recently and can confirm that their phones come unlocked? I bought phones from them before, but not recently, and they were unlocked when I bought from them under 2 years ago.
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
All phones come unlocked. Mobiles.co.uk are part of CPW so it is ‘safe’ and genuine. As far as difference between the two models I am not the best person to comment on this.
If it's only £75 more, S9 is worth it for the improved camera system, more software updates (Android Q only for the S9 probably), and improved processor.
Edited by: "jamie015" 20th Jul
Why don't you free yourself and buy a handset outright. Then get 30 day rolling contract. Don't know anyone sensible who still on a 24 month contract.
RiverDragon834 m ago

Why don't you free yourself and buy a handset outright. Then get 30 day …Why don't you free yourself and buy a handset outright. Then get 30 day rolling contract. Don't know anyone sensible who still on a 24 month contract.

i have looked at this, and the offer with vodafone works out cheaper than buying the phone outright and paying for a separate sim. when they have offers on, the 24 months contract can work out a lot cheaper than buying the phone outright and getting a monthly sim separately.
mutley117 m ago

i have looked at this, and the offer with vodafone works out cheaper than …i have looked at this, and the offer with vodafone works out cheaper than buying the phone outright and paying for a separate sim. when they have offers on, the 24 months contract can work out a lot cheaper than buying the phone outright and getting a monthly sim separately.

No way on earth that is true. You can get a Samsung S9 for £425.99.

£14.28 worth of nectar points.

£2.50 with TCB.

Get yourself a cheap i.e £5-6 30 day rolling contract. Contract are ALWAYS more expensive. Then sell your current phone, that will help towards the cost of your new phone.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Jul
RiverDragon87 m ago

No way on earth that is true. You can get a Samsung S9 for £425.99. £14.28 …No way on earth that is true. You can get a Samsung S9 for £425.99. £14.28 worth of nectar points.£2.50 with TCB.Get yourself a cheap i.e £5-6 30 day rolling contract.

i need at least 4gb of data and unlimited minutes. cheapest will be £10pm sim plan. the vodafone deal is £23pm for 24 months with £100 upfront. i will get £26 from TCB. so works out cheaper.
RiverDragon810 m ago

No way on earth that is true. You can get a Samsung S9 for £425.99. £14.28 …No way on earth that is true. You can get a Samsung S9 for £425.99. £14.28 worth of nectar points.£2.50 with TCB.Get yourself a cheap i.e £5-6 30 day rolling contract. Contract are ALWAYS more expensive. Then sell your current phone, that will help towards the cost of your new phone.

That's not a fair comparison, buying from eBay is like buying from eGlobal. There is more risk and it's not a big name in comparison to Vodafone.
jamie0152 m ago

That's not a fair comparison, buying from eBay is like buying from …That's not a fair comparison, buying from eBay is like buying from eGlobal. There is more risk and it's not a big name in comparison to Vodafone.

i would never buy an expensive phone from ebay unless it was argos ebay or currys ebay.
jamie0157 m ago

That's not a fair comparison, buying from eBay is like buying from …That's not a fair comparison, buying from eBay is like buying from eGlobal. There is more risk and it's not a big name in comparison to Vodafone.

I'd rather buy from a seller from eBay with 16k+ feedback and have to deal with Vodafone.
RiverDragon82 m ago

I'd rather buy from a seller from eBay with 16k+ feedback and have to deal …I'd rather buy from a seller from eBay with 16k+ feedback and have to deal with Vodafone.

i have had a 24 months contract with vodafone before and they were fine for me. they took longer than EE to answer the phone but apart from that they were fine. i may have been lucky of course, but i didn't have issues with their signal, customer service or billing.

also when i cancelled the plan at the end of the contract, that went smoothly.
RiverDragon820th Jul

I'd rather buy from a seller from eBay with 16k+ feedback and have to deal …I'd rather buy from a seller from eBay with 16k+ feedback and have to deal with Vodafone.

My experience with Vodafone during the CPW S9/S9+ glitch and the Gear VR glitch was pretty good, no problems with the service whatsoever.

With eBay, after 6 months you are on your own and the manufacturer typically doesn't honour the warranty.
mutley14 m ago

i have had a 24 months contract with vodafone before and they were fine …i have had a 24 months contract with vodafone before and they were fine for me. they took longer than EE to answer the phone but apart from that they were fine. i may have been lucky of course, but i didn't have issues with their signal, customer service or billing.also when i cancelled the plan at the end of the contract, that went smoothly.

Vodafone customer service is THE WORST out of all the phone companies.
RiverDragon82 m ago

from my personal experience, i have found virgin mobile to be by far the worst company for customer service. EE, O2 and Vodafone are pretty much the same as one another. Plusnet is fine but they are a bit basic in facilities.
mutley11 m ago

from my personal experience, i have found virgin mobile to be by far the …from my personal experience, i have found virgin mobile to be by far the worst company for customer service. EE, O2 and Vodafone are pretty much the same as one another. Plusnet is fine but they are a bit basic in facilities.

Virgin are nasty. I topped up a SIM and left it for two weeks with no use and data off on a second device. When I checked again the balance was £0!
jamie0152 m ago

Virgin are nasty. I topped up a SIM and left it for two weeks with no use …Virgin are nasty. I topped up a SIM and left it for two weeks with no use and data off on a second device. When I checked again the balance was £0!

i am sure they cheat when they come to measure how much data you have used as when i tether on my husband's virgin sim, the data is eaten up a lot faster than when i tether on my EE sim!
mutley141 s ago

i am sure they cheat when they come to measure how much data you have used …i am sure they cheat when they come to measure how much data you have used as when i tether on my husband's virgin sim, the data is eaten up a lot faster than when i tether on my EE sim!

They do cheat, in the same phone I have a 3 SIM and not even the 200mb data rewards gets used up!
RiverDragon87 m ago

Have you ever had to deal with Three? Fail to resolve problems, Then try and sell you something.

I've had good and bad experience with Vodafone.
.MUFC.2 m ago

Have you ever had to deal with Three? Fail to resolve problems, Then try …Have you ever had to deal with Three? Fail to resolve problems, Then try and sell you something.I've had good and bad experience with Vodafone.

Is this where we all b'itch and moan about our bad experiences with different phone providers?
RiverDragon85 m ago

Is this where we all b'itch and moan about our bad experiences with …Is this where we all b'itch and moan about our bad experiences with different phone providers?

I think they're all as bad as each other, However Vodafone kind of bribed me by crediting both my accounts with £40 of credit!.
I have the S8 and my wife has just bought the S9. Both bought with deals from mobiles.co.uk and had a very good experience with both purchases, straight forward with next day delivery. If you're an average user you won't notice much of a difference in day to day use between the two phones but there are some improvements with the S9 and it will almost certainly get more updates in the future. I have been using the S8 for 3 months now and after comparing it with the wife's S9, I don't feel I am missing out on any killer features.
helpbydeals2 h, 24 m ago

I have the S8 and my wife has just bought the S9. Both bought with deals …I have the S8 and my wife has just bought the S9. Both bought with deals from mobiles.co.uk and had a very good experience with both purchases, straight forward with next day delivery. If you're an average user you won't notice much of a difference in day to day use between the two phones but there are some improvements with the S9 and it will almost certainly get more updates in the future. I have been using the S8 for 3 months now and after comparing it with the wife's S9, I don't feel I am missing out on any killer features.

i have heard people complain about the battery life of the S9 and some articles states that the battery life on the S8 lasts significantly longer. what is your experience of the battery life between the two phones?
They're top of the range phones, so you're probably looking in the wrong place for value. You're buying a luxury model so pick whichever you prefer.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 21st Jul
EndlessWaves9 m ago

They're top of the range phones, so you're probably looking in the wrong …They're top of the range phones, so you're probably looking in the wrong place for value. You're buying a luxury model so pick whichever you prefer.

the value is not there as you say because they are terrible value when you compare them with other phones on the market. my value gauge here is simply between the two phones, whether it is worth paying an extra £75 for the newer model. is it really worth £75 more than the older model, that is what I am trying to ascertain.

from the responses, i think the S9 is better value for the extra £75.
mutley16 h, 39 m ago

i have heard people complain about the battery life of the S9 and some …i have heard people complain about the battery life of the S9 and some articles states that the battery life on the S8 lasts significantly longer. what is your experience of the battery life between the two phones?

Difficult to compare as the S9 has it been in use for 2 weeks. I am in no way a heavy user but an average day could have me using 2 hours of streaming music in the car with Bluetooth on, data usage over a lunch hour checking emails, web etc... Taking photos for work and using it in the evening for leisure and it will only have used about 30% of the battery. I do have battery saver on and the screen on just below 50%. Sometimes I'll get 2 days without charging but as I say, I'm not a heavy user. I'm still enjoying this phone and you won't be disappointed with either phone. Good luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants