Sacked after one shift

Found 10th May 2013
So I had a trial in a bar, doing glass collecting, and today I've found out that i'm not being asked back, because apparently I sat down, which I can't remember.

Can anyone beat that? Anyone ever been sacked DURING their first shift?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
57 Comments
borolad94

So I had a trial in a bar, doing glass collecting, and today I've found … So I had a trial in a bar, doing glass collecting, and today I've found out that i'm not being asked back, because apparently I sat down, which I can't remember. Can anyone beat that? Anyone ever been sacked DURING their first shift?

I had a trial at a place called trebarron a garden centre in my local town.

After working a whole day and getting a glowing reccomendation from 3 different staff members, I found out I didn't get the job.

Turned out there was about 15 of us trialed, and none of us got the job.

Basically wanted to give 15 people 15 mins training on a saturday and make them work the rest of the day for free. Also been turned away from a job at McDonalds.
Original Poster
olympians

I had a trial at a place called trebarron a garden centre in my local … I had a trial at a place called trebarron a garden centre in my local town.After working a whole day and getting a glowing reccomendation from 3 different staff members, I found out I didn't get the job.Turned out there was about 15 of us trialed, and none of us got the job.Basically wanted to give 15 people 15 mins training on a saturday and make them work the rest of the day for free. Also been turned away from a job at McDonalds.

Ouch, well, at least you did well, and didnt commit the cardinal sin of sitting down.

I also got turned away from McDonalds. That wasnt a good day in my life either.
I got sacked before my first shift at a pub.

Was running for the bus, tripped over a kerb, went sprawling across the floor - cutting my hands & knees open, ripping my shirt & trousers, and making a huge hole in my shoe.

They didn't believe me, so I got myself cleaned up & went down there, hoping that the sight of my cuts & bruises would change their mind... did it 'eck!
Original Poster
miikeyblue

I got sacked before my first shift at a pub.Was running for the bus, … I got sacked before my first shift at a pub.Was running for the bus, tripped over a kerb, went sprawling across the floor - cutting my hands & knees open, ripping my shirt & trousers, and making a huge hole in my shoe.They didn't believe me, so I got myself cleaned up & went down there, hoping that the sight of my cuts & bruises would change their mind... did it 'eck!

Now that is harsh, how long ago was that?
borolad94

Now that is harsh, how long ago was that?

Probably about 9 years or so I think. Bus driver didn't even wait to see if I was gonna get on either!
I got caught with my feet up reading the sun while in charge of a machine got sacked for gross misconduct that wasn't my first day but first week.
" because apparently I sat down, which I can't remember "

You were drinking on the job too then?
Edited by: "transit" 10th May 2013
Original Poster

transit

" because apparently I sat down, which I can't remember "You were … " because apparently I sat down, which I can't remember "You were drinking on the job too then?

I just cant remember doing it, apart from at 1:15am for approximately 20 seconds.
Matty1255

I got caught with my feet up reading the sun while in charge of a machine … I got caught with my feet up reading the sun while in charge of a machine got sacked for gross misconduct that wasn't my first day but first week.

Now that was just abit stupid
You weren't sacked after a shift as it was just a work trial.

What did they actually say? Cause it seems like you properly sat down to take a rest in the bar and they were watching at the wrong time.
Wasn't my first shift, I'd been there a few months, but I got sacked for getting glandular fever. That was in a bar too
Original Poster
ether707

You weren't sacked after a shift as it was just a work trial.What did … You weren't sacked after a shift as it was just a work trial.What did they actually say? Cause it seems like you properly sat down to take a rest in the bar and they were watching at the wrong time.

My friend who works there is relaying what the boss said, she is actually yet to contact me which i'm actually more annoyed about.

But they have cameras in the kitchen, and he just said that i was caught sitting down. But the only time i can recall doing it was at the end of the night, for about 10-20 seconds when i thought everyone else was finishing off what they were doing, then realized there was more to do, so i did it.. I'm not justifying it, looking back it was a mistake.
Bars are **** places to work.

Only ever worked behind a bar as a personal favour to a woman I consider like a second mother.

Was paid in ale while working for it, and it was only when I wanted to go behind the bar and she felt too drunk to serve.

But yeah, bars are crap places to work.
borolad94

My friend who works there is relaying what the boss said, she is actually … My friend who works there is relaying what the boss said, she is actually yet to contact me which i'm actually more annoyed about.But they have cameras in the kitchen, and he just said that i was caught sitting down. But the only time i can recall doing it was at the end of the night, for about 10-20 seconds when i thought everyone else was finishing off what they were doing, then realized there was more to do, so i did it.. I'm not justifying it, looking back it was a mistake.

Deck the boss, best feeling ever ;-)
Original Poster
olympians

Deck the boss, best feeling ever ;-)

She is a bitch i'm gonna be honest. The way she spoke to me, very aggressively. And the other employees commented on the way they were treat. There was another boss but i never got the pleasure of meeting her, but apparently she was nice.
borolad94

Ouch, well, at least you did well, and didnt commit the cardinal sin of … Ouch, well, at least you did well, and didnt commit the cardinal sin of sitting down.I also got turned away from McDonalds. That wasnt a good day in my life either.

Don't worry I got turned away from McDonalds too because I called in to see if I got the job. The manager sounded really **** off and I got a rejection email straight after that phone call.
Original Poster
ether707

Don't worry I got turned away from McDonalds too because I called in to … Don't worry I got turned away from McDonalds too because I called in to see if I got the job. The manager sounded really **** off and I got a rejection email straight after that phone call.

McDonalds are a strange one, they rejected me and 3 of my friends to then hire someone who was only described as a 'scruffy chav' by my friends who were already employed there.
Original Poster
went to asda to get alcohol to drown my sorrows, and forgot my ID. and now I feel even worse. Borderline suicidal.
Banned
I 'should' of been sacked from Toy'R'Us (my first job).

There was a clear guide to say any "toys out of their boxes/packaging should be taken to the warehouse area".

I spent most of the days taking toys out of their boxes and then playing with them in the warehouse.

I think the manager fancied me so I had to resign to get out of that shiza hole.
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 10th May 2013
borolad94

McDonalds are a strange one, they rejected me and 3 of my friends to then … McDonalds are a strange one, they rejected me and 3 of my friends to then hire someone who was only described as a 'scruffy chav' by my friends who were already employed there.

Chances are this scruffy chav will stay at mcds for a good few years. They would prefer to employ someone who would stay around for longer than a couple of guys looking for full time but short lasting job until they found something better.
Bar jobs can be brutal, I've had a few of them. Long shifts, on your feet for the whole time, and frequently no breaks. The worst part was when you were coming up to closing time after a ten hour shift and you were knackered and yet there was still all the cleaning and setting up the bar to do which would take ages.

On the plus side, it is a great way to meet girls
Original Poster
Redking

Bar jobs can be brutal, I've had a few of them. Long shifts, on your … Bar jobs can be brutal, I've had a few of them. Long shifts, on your feet for the whole time, and frequently no breaks. The worst part was when you were coming up to closing time after a ten hour shift and you were knackered and yet there was still all the cleaning and setting up the bar to do which would take ages.On the plus side, it is a great way to meet girls

this is exactly what happened. Except from at the end of the night, i was unaware of the amount of cleaning that needed to be done, so thats why I wasnt asked back really.
Matty1255

I got caught with my feet up reading the sun while in charge of a machine … I got caught with my feet up reading the sun while in charge of a machine got sacked for gross misconduct that wasn't my first day but first week.

Were you an anaesthetist?
Original Poster
I'm just hoping I can get a job in the future that can accommodate my strange knowledge of Eurovision.
I remember when I got sacked from the calendar factory.

All I did was take a day off.

Edit: Say bye transit as I'm just about to get top comment...

Edited by: "mboora" 15th May 2013
borolad94

I'm just hoping I can get a job in the future that can accommodate my … I'm just hoping I can get a job in the future that can accommodate my strange knowledge of Eurovision.

mmm me thinks u have had a bad day tell me which bar and I will get harry the hit man from hartlepool to burn it down for you
no return from op I hope he is ok
miles136

no return from op I hope he is ok

You planted the seed miles, OP has cut out Harry the middle-man and is wiping fingerprints off petrol cans right now!
Edited by: "wellen1981" 12th May 2013
Original Poster
wellen1981

You planted the seed miles, OP has cut out Harry the middle-man and is … You planted the seed miles, OP has cut out Harry the middle-man and is wiping fingerprints off petrol cans right now!

Petrol? Why would I use petrol? Need to make it look like an accident, electrical wiring just went a bit wrong you see...
mboora

I remember when I got sacked from the calendar factory.All I did was take … I remember when I got sacked from the calendar factory.All I did was take a day off.

John?
mboora

I remember when I got sacked from the calendar factory.All I did was take … I remember when I got sacked from the calendar factory.All I did was take a day off.

My life is complete
deeky

John?

John is too cool for me.

Thank you for the likes everyone.

It was nice that my joke that was copied and pasted from Sickipedia got appreciated.

Edited by: "mboora" 13th May 2013
Original Poster
Im going in for my pay tomorrow (not that they have personally told me ive been sacked yet)

I am entitled to minimum wage for that shift arent I?

I WANT TO KNOW MY RIGHTS.
borolad94

Im going in for my pay tomorrow (not that they have personally told me … Im going in for my pay tomorrow (not that they have personally told me ive been sacked yet)I am entitled to minimum wage for that shift arent I?I WANT TO KNOW MY RIGHTS.

Yeah, you want the legal HUKD experts behind you.
Edited by: "linuxlinks" 12th May 2013
Original Poster
linuxlinks

Yeah, you want the legal HUKD experts behind you.

Ill tell her i'll sue, get Martin Lewis involved and everything
Original Poster
Went in to get my pay, and was told my friend who works there was given it. But he told me he hasnt.

What a pain in the backside this is turning out to be
They shouldn't be giving your wages to anyone else but you.
Original Poster
Mum2ConnornCerys

They shouldn't be giving your wages to anyone else but you.

Exactly, theyre the most unprofessional business ive ever worked for... theyre the only business.... but still..
Wetherspoons do trial shift and don't pay you if you don't get the job as it's too much hassle to get you on the pay roll and they can't pay cash in hand.

Happened to my mate worked a long shift as a trial along with a load of others over like a week or two and the job ended up going to one of the worker's mates.
You say you can't remember but then you tell of the 20 second sit down at 1:15am..
Original Poster
J_D

You say you can't remember but then you tell of the 20 second sit down at … You say you can't remember but then you tell of the 20 second sit down at 1:15am..

I remembered that afterwards. This thread has turned into a interview...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions