Sad face: EE charge for sending emojis on certain devices

Editor 25
Found 26th Feb 2016
WOW! Well this is old news...that I didn't know about. So apologies upfront if you did. Send me an angry face and we'll move on.

Apparently (on some devices) EE are charging the standard network rate of 33p(?) when you use an emoji. Apparently the SMS is converted into a MMS and sent as a picture message.

EE have instructions and advice on their website detailing this...

If you are using a pre-2014 Samsung handset, including the Galaxy S1, S2, S3 and S4, as well as the Galaxy Note 1, 2, 3 and Galaxy Ace, you could be hit with huge charges for sending emoticons in messages, no matter what network you are using.
This is because a number of their older handsets convert texts into picture messages when you include the smiley face icons.
Picture messages, or MMS (multi-media service) messages cost far more than standard texts - meaning users can be hit by huge bills if they send dozens of the symbols every day.
Apple, HTC, Nokia and Sony have all said that including an emoji or emoticon symbol in a text with their models will not convert it into an MMS.
If you own one of the Samsung handsets affected, you can stop this from happening by taking the following steps (instructions may vary depending on what handset you use):

1. Open SMS
2. Select settings
3. Scroll to Input mode
4. Select UniCode instead of automatic OR Select GSM alphabet (depending on handset)
You could also use an app rather than your network to send messages.
If you're out and about you'll be using your data but if you're using wi-fi, there's nothing extra to pay.

Again, apologies if this is old news to you, but as an EE customer I had absolutely no idea about this. Although I'm sure linking to the Daily Mail will anger you more than the age of the news.
Community Updates
24 Comments
Original Poster Editor
EE sends mother £1,200 mobile phone bill because she sent smiley symbols that weren't included in her 'unlimited' £31-a-month contract [Daily Mail]

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/06/2564CCEE00000578-2942482-image-m-10_1423219632670.jpg
It's not hard to tell if a phone is sending an mms or sms, nor is this an unknown issue.
Having said that, if people still can't tell, can't do any harm informing people!
Yo, You need to pay Skype £350 for all of these used in the past year: https://az545065.vo.msecnd.net/skype-faq-media/faq_content/skype/screenshots/fa12330/emoticons/bigsmile_80_anim_gif.gif
Original Poster Editor
FantasyDeals

Yo, You need to pay Skype £350 for all of these used in the past year:

To be honest I use this one more...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nwwwckwbozk/VlPAsy-D8mI/AAAAAAAARlU/oYXzh4nPcvs/s1600/smiley-rolling-eyes.gif

Can't for the life of me think why (_;)
BuzzDuraband

To be honest I use this one more...Can't for the life of me think why (_;)

http://static.skaip.org/img/emoticons/180x180/f6fcff/sarcastic.gif
BuzzDuraband

EE sends mother £1,200 mobile phone bill because she sent smiley symbols … EE sends mother £1,200 mobile phone bill because she sent smiley symbols that weren't included in her 'unlimited' £31-a-month contract [Daily Mail]

[img]vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/sim…est?cb=20121205194057[/img]
WiggyDiggyPoo

[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121205194057[/img]

Surely it is her handset manufacturer that should be called up on this one? I had a device that would automatically convert group messages into MMS - cost me a fortune one month as I was arranging a stag do! Wasn't my network's fault though as they charge for MMS - simple as that.
It's nothing to do with EE it's the phones
Network regardless
FYI lollipop fixed it on my S4 so I guess for Note 3 also
yup its a handset issue well documented previously on here and mse etc
Lol I remember sms, used to send them on my Nokia 3210.
Original Poster Editor
Rubisco

Lol I remember sms, used to send them on my Nokia 3210.

I instantly thought Snake, then I remembered this. Seen it?
BuzzDuraband

NICE! Only 4 rows high though lol
BuzzDuraband

oO

I was considering getting a proper gaming keyboard, I think that's swayed me X)
I think the real question here I why are we in 2016 and getting charged 40p for a MMS
tom23

I think the real question here I why are we in 2016 and getting charged … I think the real question here I why are we in 2016 and getting charged 40p for a MMS

Because they can get away with it.
Did the RyanAir guy buy some EE shares?

Next thing will be a full stop or comma will cost an extra 3p, capital letters incur a 1 surcharge per letter and a "more readable premium font charge" of £12 a year that gives you exclusive times new roman or arial font text, otherwise its a very difficult to read network imposed font.
Banned
BuzzDuraband

EE sends mother £1,200 mobile phone bill because she sent smiley symbols … EE sends mother £1,200 mobile phone bill because she sent smiley symbols that weren't included in her 'unlimited' £31-a-month contract [Daily Mail]

For some odd reason I read that as:

EA sends mother £1,200 mobile phone bill because she sent smiley symbols that weren't included in her 'unlimited' £31-a-month contract
Why would anyone pay £30.99 a month for a phone contract and not have picture messages included, that lady needs to cancel her contract and go elsewhere.
Has nothing to do with EE, seen this on a lot of Android handsets, even some early Apple iPhones have done this in the past, but mostly it is Samsung's that I have seen it on recently.

It is one of the many reasons why carriers push certain handsets to their customers (advertise, spam mail, have great deals, etc on specific phones), because they have done deals with the manufacturers to make the default icon set MMS icons and not ASCII - this is only the tip of the iceberg though.

Many people use anti-virus software on their Android phones for things they believe they accidentally installed, when in fact, the over-air updates from your carrier is where your bloatware, adware and malware is likely coming from.

See this article: androidheadlines.com/201…tml
Most networks charge for MMS messages... Not sure why you've specifically targeted EE?
What kind of dinosaur still sends texts?
It is EE's fault, they charged me on a brand new iPhone, I worked out how to change the settings after noticing charges on my bill, they also charge if a text is over a certain length which I find appalling if you've got unlimited texts you don't expect to pay anything, I turned text count on so I could keep checks on it. I'm now with Vodafone & they haven't charged me for anything
BuzzDuraband

Sad face X)
lynngoetze

It is EE's fault, they charged me on a brand new iPhone, I worked out how … It is EE's fault, they charged me on a brand new iPhone, I worked out how to change the settings after noticing charges on my bill, they also charge if a text is over a certain length which I find appalling if you've got unlimited texts you don't expect to pay anything, I turned text count on so I could keep checks on it. I'm now with Vodafone & they haven't charged me for anything

It's actually a feature of the iPhone whereby when an SMS message exceeds the character threshold outlined in SMS design, it is converted into an MMS (Picture message).

It's outlined fairly well on this page: ee.co.uk/hel…ges

It's device side, all your network provider is doing is picking up an activity record saying "BlahBlah just sent an MMS message - Billed at £xx.xx."

Perhaps your Vodafone plan is inclusive of MMS messages?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants