Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?

Found 18th Aug 2017
I went to post an item at a Hermes drop off point Tuesday 8th August at about 6.20am before work.

It's usually empty but there was this guy in front of me trying to buy a load of lucky dip lottery tickets. He had a 4 pack of Stella pints and a bottle of Gin a copy of the Sun and who knows what else.

He tried buying 25 lucky dip lotto tickets and then it clicked. What with the accent and the stupid white loafers he wears.

The cashier set up the wrong amount of lotto lucky dips at £2 each and he asked me to choose. I thought whoever was spending £50 on lucky dips was a moron and that was only when I realised.

I was star struck and moronically wished him luck and said he ain't gonna know whether he's won or not whatever I choose.

He spent £90 in a local shop at 6.20 in the morning - £50 of that on Lotto lucky dips.

I said to the lady after that he's still drinking then? She said he was in there almost every day. Don't think she had a clue who he is / was.

I'm sure the tabloids could find out where he lives and is at it again. TBH I am surprised they haven't

This is a sad anecdote. I'd of loved to bumped into the guy and got a pic with him. The best English footballer of my generation's age. The guy is a legend.

But buying Stella, Gin and £50 worth or lucky dips at 6.20 AM

He's had the best treatment available but none of it works if they don't want it.

Such a shame that he can't grasp that.

Anyway, peace out, I have depressed myself relaying this, obviously more than he can comprehend!!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
The bloke is ill. He can't just stop being ill, like some people can't stop being judgemental of things they know nothing about.
Why does it always end up with

Handbags at dawn

in these threads?

Aren't people allowed to have opinions anymore?

Aren't we allowed to think anymore?

Or have the media won the war on freedom of expression?
32 Comments
Can you legally buy drink at that time in the morning down South? It's 10:00 or 10:30 up here.
OP, your post needs editing.

'But buying Stella, Gin and £50 worth or lucky dips at 6.20 AM.
The guy is a legend. '
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 18th Aug 2017
robert198011 m ago

Can you legally buy drink at that time in the morning down South? It's …Can you legally buy drink at that time in the morning down South? It's 10:00 or 10:30 up here.

You can buy drink in 24 hour supermarkets.
24 hours a day in local Tesco.finishes at 22.00pm Saturday. Then 10.00am to 16.00 pm Sunday.
Is he pretty much broke or does he still have an income of some kind?
Your opinion is worthless as you have no comprehension.
Given opportunity after opportunity, help after help but has excuse after excuse. He wont have long left, every time you see him he looks worse. No sympathy I'm afraid, he built the straw man in which he currently finds himself standing.
Agharta2 h, 45 m ago

You can buy drink in 24 hour supermarkets.

A lot of them you can't, the ones near me rope the alcohol aisles off outside of their licensing hours, it depends where it is located i suppose.
PTibbets5 m ago

Yeah Graham. And the bloke still achieved a million more times in his life …Yeah Graham. And the bloke still achieved a million more times in his life than you did in yours.

I think we'd all rather be under achievers and live a healthy and long life no??
PTibbets11 m ago

What is it with all this "we" & "we'd" stuff?Anyone who has ever said them …What is it with all this "we" & "we'd" stuff?Anyone who has ever said them words to me implying some sort of gang or mass civil agreement is well & truly placed in my "knob" or "knobbers" section.

But by you placing me into that section surely means you are creating a gang of people who are all in massive civil agreement yes???

Well done snowflake!
Edited by: "TPGone" 19th Aug 2017
Why does it always end up with

Handbags at dawn

in these threads?

Aren't people allowed to have opinions anymore?

Aren't we allowed to think anymore?

Or have the media won the war on freedom of expression?
PTibbets23 m ago

Perhaps you would like to explain to the readers who exactly are "we"?I am …Perhaps you would like to explain to the readers who exactly are "we"?I am interested to know "who" exactly you speak for?Names would be good? Addresses even better. Relatives? Neighbours? Work colleagues? Your milkman?Who do you speak for? OR you could just admit you are in the first category of the "k" word.

Cleary I've hit a nerve here, or at least slammed head on into the bit of your brain where 'intellect' should be located but is sadly missing.

When referencing 'we'd' in the circumstances of my original statement it is to be used in place of the longer version 'we would' and thus the collective term meaning 'we'. This 'we' is not the Royal 'We' but the lesser 'we' as in the general population, the masses and the people as a whole, not as any one specific individual and therefore i can't respond to your utterly absurd request for names and addresses, and i haven't had milk delivered since 1994!

And i think I'm generally correct in saying that 'we' the people, the masses et al would be happier in leading a benign healthy life (as per my original comment) than one of success at the expense of personnel body abuse and general disregard for ones health in our later years.

But you're right, within this thread, it is I who is the knob clearly.
philphil612 m ago

Why does it always end up withHandbags at dawnin these threads?Aren't …Why does it always end up withHandbags at dawnin these threads?Aren't people allowed to have opinions anymore?Aren't we allowed to think anymore?Or have the media won the war on freedom of expression?

I have no idea. Fun though. Like hooking ducks at the fair, you can't fail to hook someone.
The bloke is ill. He can't just stop being ill, like some people can't stop being judgemental of things they know nothing about.
I think it is a real shame that he should end up like this. The thing is though, there are thousands of people in a similar situation and nobody would start a post about them. Yes he had all the advantages and all the money, but that won't change the person. If he hadn't had all that, he would probably been in this situation 20 years ago. Sure he needs help but you can only give help to people who are willing to receive it. Being a "celebrity" though, the press will only print the stuff which sells. That will be pictures of him falling over in the street under the influence. If this is the path he has chosen just let him go about it in private. Such a waste but none of us are perfect. (Apart from deeky)
maybe in the future doctors can implant something which will stop people drinking

bbc.co.uk/new…792
PTibbets8 h, 21 m ago

Yeah Graham. And the bloke still achieved a million more times in his life …Yeah Graham. And the bloke still achieved a million more times in his life than you did in yours.

Well there you go. Do your parents know your on their internet at midnight? You'll be all grumpy in the morning.
Graham19799 h, 5 m ago

Given opportunity after opportunity, help after help but has excuse after …Given opportunity after opportunity, help after help but has excuse after excuse. He wont have long left, every time you see him he looks worse. No sympathy I'm afraid, he built the straw man in which he currently finds himself standing.

In fairness I could say the same of you Graham, except I do have a degree of sympathy.
Would be amazing if he could somehow turn his life around, such a shame but it's an addiction. I'm sure deep down he wouldn't want to be an alcoholic.
Rom5 h, 27 m ago

In fairness I could say the same of you Graham, except I do have a degree …In fairness I could say the same of you Graham, except I do have a degree of sympathy.

No I have no sympathy for the self inflicted mess he finds himself in. Kids with cancer get my sympathy, victims of crime get my sympathy, the elderly freezing in winter get my sympathy. A man who has been given chance after chance, private detox in the States, detox on the NHS costing thousands and yet continues to lead a path of destruction gets nothing from me whatsoever.
philphil6118 h, 19 m ago

Why does it always end up withHandbags at dawnin these threads?Aren't …Why does it always end up withHandbags at dawnin these threads?Aren't people allowed to have opinions anymore?Aren't we allowed to think anymore?Or have the media won the war on freedom of expression?

Thank you. It wasn't meant judgmentally even if that's how it is going to come across. It's a very sad anecdote that I wish I hadn't witnessed. I'm a little embarrassed to relay it but it's just one of those things. Meeting a legend in such sorry circumstances is incredibly awkward.

I'd be interested if anyone met someone famous in completely mundane and unexpected places.

It didn't cross my mind for 1 second to sell the guy out to the vultures in the gutterpress. They have been hounding him for years and contributing to his demise IMO

To give up any addiction the addict has to WANT to stop but more importantly MEAN it. They probably have to have something to aspire to afterwards.

There was something doubly tragically ironic about his plight that I won't mention here.

Really hope he does beat his demons.... SOON!
Jackmaster9 m ago

Thank you. It wasn't meant judgmentally even if that's how it is going to …Thank you. It wasn't meant judgmentally even if that's how it is going to come across. It's a very sad anecdote that I wish I hadn't witnessed. I'm a little embarrassed to relay it but it's just one of those things. Meeting a legend in such sorry circumstances is incredibly awkward. I'd be interested if anyone met someone famous in completely mundane and unexpected places. It didn't cross my mind for 1 second to sell the guy out to the vultures in the gutterpress. They have been hounding him for years and contributing to his demise IMOTo give up any addiction the addict has to WANT to stop but more importantly MEAN it. They probably have to have something to aspire to afterwards. There was something doubly tragically ironic about his plight that I won't mention here. Really hope he does beat his demons.... SOON!

Was the 'Barrymore' thread meant judgementally, or did it also just come across that way? And the 'Jay Rayner' one, was that meant .....
robert198022 h, 21 m ago

Can you legally buy drink at that time in the morning down South? It's …Can you legally buy drink at that time in the morning down South? It's 10:00 or 10:30 up here.

Amazingly you can buy booze 24 hours a day - in petrol stations down here. Normal ain't it??

For anyone that perceives relating facts as judgemental - maybe have a reread.

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with alcoholics and addictions. Which is why I know that the ONLY person that can take the decision to quit or even moderate, is the person themselves.

The majority of addicts have deep seated psychological issues - which anyone who had any knowledge instead of The Sun or The Mail tabloid rhetoric, would understand.

Not expecting much more from some users of this site to be fair!
Graham19796 h, 30 m ago

No I have no sympathy for the self inflicted mess he finds himself in. …No I have no sympathy for the self inflicted mess he finds himself in. Kids with cancer get my sympathy, victims of crime get my sympathy, the elderly freezing in winter get my sympathy. A man who has been given chance after chance, private detox in the States, detox on the NHS costing thousands and yet continues to lead a path of destruction gets nothing from me whatsoever.

I have to agree.

Whilst people like this may have a problem, like any other member of society, initially we can feel empathy for them.

But when they have both the ability to afford the best treatments and consistently fail, then any empathy wears out.

Only one person can sort out his issues and that is him but he clearly does not have the desire to do so.
Sad thing is if he won big on a scratch card it would literally kill him
Edited by: "hooray.henry" 19th Aug 2017
Its a shame he's pushing that self destruction button Its sad to see him go down that road again.
Jackmaster2 h, 13 m ago

Thank you. It wasn't meant judgmentally even if that's how it is going to …Thank you. It wasn't meant judgmentally even if that's how it is going to come across. It's a very sad anecdote that I wish I hadn't witnessed. I'm a little embarrassed to relay it but it's just one of those things. Meeting a legend in such sorry circumstances is incredibly awkward. I'd be interested if anyone met someone famous in completely mundane and unexpected places. It didn't cross my mind for 1 second to sell the guy out to the vultures in the gutterpress. They have been hounding him for years and contributing to his demise IMOTo give up any addiction the addict has to WANT to stop but more importantly MEAN it. They probably have to have something to aspire to afterwards. There was something doubly tragically ironic about his plight that I won't mention here. Really hope he does beat his demons.... SOON!

I keep seeing the bloke who was on 'How Clean is your House?' who had chicken poop all over his kitchen. Haven't said hello though. Does that count?
MSK.38 m ago

I keep seeing the bloke who was on 'How Clean is your House?' who had …I keep seeing the bloke who was on 'How Clean is your House?' who had chicken poop all over his kitchen. Haven't said hello though. Does that count?

Wait till he finds out your MSK from HUKD!
Graham19792 h, 59 m ago

Wait till he finds out your MSK from HUKD!

31732191-27vUS.jpg
He's not you is he?
Edited by: "MSK." 20th Aug 2017
Jackmaster3 h, 14 m ago

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with alcoholics and addictions. …Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with alcoholics and addictions. Which is why I know that the ONLY person that can take the decision to quit or even moderate, is the person themselves. The majority of addicts have deep seated psychological issues - which anyone who had any knowledge instead of The Sun or The Mail tabloid rhetoric, would understand. Not expecting much more from some users of this site to be fair!

Groundbreaking analysis such as this is truly the preserve of experts in the field. Thank you for the insight into how recovery is only possible if the addict actually wants to change.

Regarding your expectations of 'some users' - do you have any further observations that you can share from the 3 weeks since you returned to the site?
so sad it is an illness

hope he does not win, a cousin of mine aged 35 died last year after getting £80k for his late mothers estate he was dead within 8 weeks - drugs and drink
Graham197919th Aug

No I have no sympathy for the self inflicted mess he finds himself in. …No I have no sympathy for the self inflicted mess he finds himself in. Kids with cancer get my sympathy, victims of crime get my sympathy, the elderly freezing in winter get my sympathy. A man who has been given chance after chance, private detox in the States, detox on the NHS costing thousands and yet continues to lead a path of destruction gets nothing from me whatsoever.

On the NHS costing thousands?

The geezer weighed on more tax in a month when he was at his peak than what most of us do in a lifetime so I think he's paid his dues to receive some state funded healthcare, unlike my old neighbour!

Veteran SWP/ANL activist dating back to the miners strike and Wapping so lifelong lefty who believes anyone with more than a fiver should be taxed 6 quid to cover social care and public services especially the NHS. Ironically he was, still is, an alcoholic who spent at least 12 of the 13 years I lived next door to him on the dole getting tanked day after day after day. He got untold NHS care including getting sent to rehab, or funny farm as he called it, but it did him no good and he is still drinking to extreme levels most week day evenings and every weekend.

I still own my old flat, renting it out so pop round there from time to time when I'm down south and am glad to say that through the bedroom tax or whatever he has been forced back in to work recently and why not? He's got 3 bedroom council flat in sought after Buckhurst Hill with just his missus and teenage son in it, contributed sweet fa to the country for decades bu got everything yet you got the front to play the NHS treatment card on a man who would have paid seven perhaps even eight figure sums to the exchequer when he was at the top of his game???

Away with your jealousy driven off quay condemnation
Edited by: "Chasloyal" 20th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants