Safe raw hide chews

Posted 4th NovEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Hi, anyone know where you can but raw hide chews that are not imported from the likes of China,y dogs love chewing on raw hide and it keeps their teeth clean, In china and other countries they use a chemical to help remove the raw hide and I am told it causes serious health problems for dogs. I do you the odd dental chew and pig's ear etc but the problem is their high calorie content, hence just wanting natural raw hide. See link below

dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw…gs/

Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
@SOUTHWALES I used to buy Wilko brand rawhide dog chews ( no longer have a dog ) All different sizes etc available instore to avoid £2 c&c charge. Example here wilko.com/en-…999 Hope this helps
I get these quite often for the same reason you stated.

I've gave my dog (husky) whole raw carrots to chew on from a puppy and the vets always comment on how healthy his are and ask me what I use for his teeth.

I sometimes give him raw turnip aswell if your dog's would eat raw veg
PankoBreadCrum104/11/2019 19:26

I get these quite often for the same reason you stated.I've gave my dog …I get these quite often for the same reason you stated.I've gave my dog (husky) whole raw carrots to chew on from a puppy and the vets always comment on how healthy his are and ask me what I use for his teeth.I sometimes give him raw turnip aswell if your dog's would eat raw veg

Agreed, carrots are cheap and make a nice crunchy treat for them. My dog loves them but until you mentioned it I’d never even thought about them being good for keeping their teeth clean but it makes a lot of sense.
Haircut_10004/11/2019 19:39

Agreed, carrots are cheap and make a nice crunchy treat for them. My dog …Agreed, carrots are cheap and make a nice crunchy treat for them. My dog loves them but until you mentioned it I’d never even thought about them being good for keeping their teeth clean but it makes a lot of sense.

I was the same when the vet first asked me what I use to keep his teeth so healthy I just said rawhide but on the way home I thought ohh it's the carrots
we give ours mcchew
Rice bones are good?
My dog loves raw hide, he goes crazy for it. But he ends up chocking on it, it's just the little one's Asda, do. Is there anything for smaller dogs, he's only a little westie.
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 4th Nov
Mysticaltopaz2404/11/2019 19:23

@SOUTHWALES I used to buy Wilko brand rawhide dog chews ( no longer have …@SOUTHWALES I used to buy Wilko brand rawhide dog chews ( no longer have a dog ) All different sizes etc available instore to avoid £2 c&c charge. Example here https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-meat-filled-rawhide-wrap-dog-treat/p/0410999 Hope this helps

As far as I know wilko import them from China so a high chance they contain chemicals that they have used to remove the hide.
PankoBreadCrum104/11/2019 19:23

https://www.farmfood.co.uk/product_categorie/rawhide-dog-chews/

Are they imported from China? If so they will more than likely contain dangerous chemicals. As I stated in China they use chemicals to remove the hide, the chemicals have been linked to health problems later in the dogs life. See link dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw…gs/
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 5th Nov
SOUTHWALES05/11/2019 11:23

Are they imported from China? If so they will more than likely contain …Are they imported from China? If so they will more than likely contain dangerous chemicals. As I stated in China they use chemicals to remove the hide, the chemicals have been linked to health problems later in the dogs life. See link https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/##targetText=When tested: Lead, Arsenic,,have been detected in rawhides.

No have a look on their site, family run business and all British produce as far as I know.

You could always contact them to confirm the origin of any of their products or ingredients.
Other websites will have other views on rawhide.......

Chemicals

Recently, there have been a lot of articles written online about the “chemical dangers of rawhide dog chews.” This immediately elevated the level of alertness among dog owners.

The alarm bell ringing is related to the process of manufacturing rawhides which uses chemicals to remove the hair from the hide.

However, we have yet to encounter any evidence of dogs ingesting any harmful chemicals by chewing on rawhide. None of the quoted studies in this article had seen this to be the case, nor are there any other substantiated claims.

So where are these publications getting their facts? “Nowhere” is the answer. This is just yet another reason to write emotionally engaging blog posts with click-bait headlines and hope to build a following of worrisome dog owners.

Bottom Line: There is no evidence to suggest that dogs are at risk of ingesting harmful chemicals from chewing on rawhide. It’s best to buy USA-made rawhide.

Broken teethRawhide chews that are very long lasting can be hard on dog’s teeth. Tough rawhide dog bones have been known to fracture teeth, and cause wearing.

Some veterinarians are proponents of only offering rawhides after all primary teeth of puppies are gone and replaced with more durable adult teeth.

The trade off is that the softer chews tend not to last as long, causing a concern for inappropriate ingestion.

Bottom Line: A good rule of thumb is to assess the density before giving the rawhide to your dog. A chew that is dense enough to cause a dent on a wooden table is too hard.

GI issues/obstructions

Rawhides can contribute to gastrointestinal problems in some pets for a variety of reasons. Some dogs may be sensitive to the ingredients in the chew.

The majority of dog’s GI problems seen by veterinarians, however, have to do with the improper consumption of rawhide bones. Some dogs are so eager to get the chew into their stomach that they will swallow it whole, or swallow large pieces causing vomiting.

It is uncommon to have a gastric obstruction requiring surgery since the pH of a dog’s stomach is generally sufficient to break a rawhide down in time [11, 12].

However, rawhide chews lodged in the esophagus or oropharynx can pose significant risk to dogs.

Bottom Line: Rawhide chews are not appropriate for dogs that swallow them whole, or otherwise inappropriately consume them. Rawhides are meant to be gnawed and nibbled on over time.

Extra caloriesRawhides can be calorie dense. Some estimates have already put over half of American dogs in the overweight category. Added calories in the form of rawhides may be a bad idea if your dog’s diet isn’t spot on.

One study demonstrated the average rawhide has about 15 calories per inch [8]. The average six inch chew could have almost 100 calories.

For a dog on a calorie restricted diet, this extra 100 calories could be detrimental to the waistline and possibly even general health.

Rawhide chews are essentially treats for dogs. This type of dog treats can be part of a weight loss plan, but shouldn’t contribute to more than 10% of overall daily calories for a canine.

Rawhides may not be appropriate for dogs on calorie restricted diets.

Bottom Line: Rawhides should be counted as an occasional treat or reward, and not as a staple. It is important to account for those extra calories.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants