Expired

Safe secure outdoor key box

Found 17th Jul
hi good folks. as the title suggests I'm looking for a secure key box to hold keys for my dad. he isn't in good health and struggles to answer the door for his carer's. looking at a few and found out they are actually rubbish. anyone know more of them or have a link? it would be greatly appreciated and purchased asap. thanks again
Community Updates
AskSports Clothes
28 Comments
If your Dad is moving to this stage of life, you may want to find out what services are available to support him from the local council/social services.

The SS fitted a box that carers and emergency services can access wihtout having to resort to calling you. He lives in South Cheshire who seem to be very good on this area
ccnp12 m ago

If your Dad is moving to this stage of life, you may want to find out what …If your Dad is moving to this stage of life, you may want to find out what services are available to support him from the local council/social services. The SS fitted a box that carers and emergency services can access wihtout having to resort to calling you. He lives in South Cheshire who seem to be very good on this area

Yeah he's at that stage now unfortunately. Today 2 men let themselves in his house and stole money. This is more about his safety than his money. If anything happened he wouldn't be able to cope. The carers have said we need to get the box and install it and the police will be out tomorrow at 4pm!!!
One thing what I would do as well is, put a security camera in his house so you can keep an eye on him when no ones there with him .
KemCol17th Jul

One thing what I would do as well is, put a security camera in his house …One thing what I would do as well is, put a security camera in his house so you can keep an eye on him when no ones there with him .

That's an idea, thanks
I’d say the same about the camera as well. Maybe one on the front door with motion so you can see who’s going in and out.
I’d suggest fitting a smart lock with a video door bell. That way if needed you can unlock the door from your phone.
Liam_1884 m ago

I’d say the same about the camera as well. Maybe one on the front door w …I’d say the same about the camera as well. Maybe one on the front door with motion so you can see who’s going in and out.

I will, but in the meantime I want to stop unwanted people from getting in. He can't lock his door, so it's opened till I come home from work go up and visit him then lock the door behind me with my set of keys. My daughter opens the door in the morning for his carers and nurse/doctor visiting.
We have a family member in a similar stage of life. Our local council have provided a key safe - but I agree that it does not appear to be particularly secure - I think it is this one.... toolstation.com/sho…310. I imagine it would not withstand a few good smashes with a club hammer! I see Toolstation do 3 types - might be worth popping in and asking if you could inspect each one. Fortunately for us the key box is located out of sight and if you did not know it was there it would be very hard to find.

Also echo the comment re. the camera (we've done that). If your father has wifi internet then this would be ideal.... amazon.co.uk/YI-…era - £16.99 today.
Van19733 m ago

We have a family member in a similar stage of life. Our local council …We have a family member in a similar stage of life. Our local council have provided a key safe - but I agree that it does not appear to be particularly secure - I think it is this one.... https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p65310. I imagine it would not withstand a few good smashes with a club hammer! I see Toolstation do 3 types - might be worth popping in and asking if you could inspect each one. Fortunately for us the key box is located out of sight and if you did not know it was there it would be very hard to find.Also echo the comment re. the camera (we've done that). If your father has wifi internet then this would be ideal.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Camera-Wireless-Security-Surveillance/dp/B074395R84/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1531851833&sr=1-5&keywords=yi+home+camera - £16.99 today.

I'm sorry to hear about your family member too. Yeah I've no heard great things about those key boxes either unfortunately. The Wi-Fi thing is probably out of the question. Since he has a panic/help alarm put in, it must go through his phone line, it's completely all but shut down his internet/Wi-Fi.
I was looking at something like this just now to hold his keys, since the others are easily opened with a piece of metal. But this may be easily smashed?
m.ebay.co.uk/itm…338
I’ve bought this one from screwfix £14.99 today
34397805-AXoiN.jpgjust changing the combination now.
It has a 30 year warranty and is weatherproof. The combination dials have a pull down cover over them to keep any rain out. The casing is fully made of metal and is quite heavy, the box cover’s opening edges are flush with the outer casing. Comes with 4 long fixing screws, I would think it would be hard to break into.
The one you are looking at on eBay, I think you have to press the combination back in to allow the locking mechanism to retract so that it fits back into the aperture. The one I bought just clicks back into place. Not a big difference, but if someone doesn’t know they have to put the combination back in again to replace the cover then that will cause confusion.
I was really trying to find a small box with a separate black rubber cover to fully encompass the box, like the type social services provide, but couldn’t source one quickly.
At the end of the day, if someone is determined to get into a property, they will smash a window rather than try to break into the key box.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 17th Jul
STRICKIBHOY56 m ago

Yeah he's at that stage now unfortunately. Today 2 men let themselves in …Yeah he's at that stage now unfortunately. Today 2 men let themselves in his house and stole money. This is more about his safety than his money. If anything happened he wouldn't be able to cope. The carers have said we need to get the box and install it and the police will be out tomorrow at 4pm!!!

Sorry to hear it. Try his GP practise for some help. An Occupational Assessment visit possibly
Toptrumpet18 m ago

I’ve bought this one from screwfix £14.99 today[Image] just changing the co …I’ve bought this one from screwfix £14.99 today[Image] just changing the combination now. It has a 30 year warranty and is weatherproof. The combination dials have a pull down cover over them to keep any rain out. The casing is fully made of metal and is quite heavy, the box cover’s opening edges are flush with the outer casing. Comes with 4 long fixing screws, I would think it would be hard to break into.The one you are looking at on eBay, I think you have to press the combination back in to allow the locking mechanism to retract so that it fits back into the aperture. The one I bought just clicks back into place. Not a big difference, but if someone doesn’t know they have to put the combination back in again to replace the cover then that will cause confusion.I was really trying to find a small box with a separate black rubber cover to fully encompass the box, like the type social services provide, but couldn’t source one quickly.At the end of the day, if someone is determined to get into a property, they will smash a window rather than try to break into the key box.

Check these comments:- hotukdeals.com/dea…361
ccnp10 m ago

Sorry to hear it. Try his GP practise for some help. An Occupational …Sorry to hear it. Try his GP practise for some help. An Occupational Assessment visit possibly

He gets everything mate, he's on palliative end of life care. He gets 3 or sometimes 4 carers a day. The doctor or nurse comes up every 2 days. My daughter goes up in the morning, sister in the afternoon and me at night after work. His house can be busy, we just need to make sure it's the right people getting in.
tregs6 m ago

Check these comments:- …Check these comments:- https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/master-key-lock-box-screwfix-1499-2982361

Thanks for the heads up. The box isn’t for a house key, it’s for a plastic key to open electric gates manually from the inside in the event of a power cut.
I still think it’s a good product for the price. The bigger more expensive models were all of the same type.
STRICKIBHOY52 m ago

I'm sorry to hear about your family member too. Yeah I've no heard great …I'm sorry to hear about your family member too. Yeah I've no heard great things about those key boxes either unfortunately. The Wi-Fi thing is probably out of the question. Since he has a panic/help alarm put in, it must go through his phone line, it's completely all but shut down his internet/Wi-Fi.

We have a panic alarm (called Lifeline by our council) also - we have Virgin fibre though so broadband is not through the phone line.

Worth checking if it is installed correctly as the broadband/wifi should still be able to work though.

Have a look at figure 1a on the attached document - lifeline24.co.uk/wp-…pdf The router should be installed in "parallel" with the Lifeline box - not in "series" - which if it is not working is what I guess they've done.

Installing a camera has been a great help to us - it lets us see everything is OK even when the phone is not answered etc!!

Difficult times looking after elderly family - even without scumbags trying to take advantage of the situation! Good luck!
Van19735 m ago

We have a panic alarm (called Lifeline by our council) also - we have …We have a panic alarm (called Lifeline by our council) also - we have Virgin fibre though so broadband is not through the phone line.Worth checking if it is installed correctly as the broadband/wifi should still be able to work though.Have a look at figure 1a on the attached document - https://www.lifeline24.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Lifeline24_General_InstallationGuide_2017_WEB.pdf The router should be installed in "parallel" with the Lifeline box - not in "series" - which if it is not working is what I guess they've done. Installing a camera has been a great help to us - it lets us see everything is OK even when the phone is not answered etc!!Difficult times looking after elderly family - even without scumbags trying to take advantage of the situation! Good luck!

That's the exact "lifeline" he has too. Thankyou so much for that, I'll be looking into that right away! He's on talk talk broadband, isn't the greatest. Told him to get fibre but he won't budge cos talk talk let him phone Canada! Lol
He's still relatively young, just been terribly unfortunate to be diagnosed with scleroderma, that's took a turn for the worse.
Connexis L1, smart lock. No need for WiFi. You can assign keys to people's phones, use cards and fobs too . The beauty is you get a log of which user had opened the lock. Conexis L1. They're not cheap but quite versatile. You can s end a key card via email so someone can (if they have the app on the phone) open the lock once. Handy if someone is locked or or needs to get in and hasn't got a key.
mrty9 m ago

Connexis L1, smart lock. No need for WiFi. You can assign keys to people's …Connexis L1, smart lock. No need for WiFi. You can assign keys to people's phones, use cards and fobs too . The beauty is you get a log of which user had opened the lock. Conexis L1. They're not cheap but quite versatile. You can s end a key card via email so someone can (if they have the app on the phone) open the lock once. Handy if someone is locked or or needs to get in and hasn't got a key.

That's a great thing, he doesn't want it. He's stubborn. It's the box he wants. Didn't like the idea of changing locks and door handles.
If there's any way you can, move him in with you, worry for our parents is all encompassing
SCuboid21 m ago

If there's any way you can, move him in with you, worry for our parents is …If there's any way you can, move him in with you, worry for our parents is all encompassing

No he couldn't manage the stairs he wouldn't do it anyways. We've all offered, he's comfortable in his own home. A stubborn man.
STRICKIBHOY12 h, 44 m ago

No he couldn't manage the stairs he wouldn't do it anyways. We've all …No he couldn't manage the stairs he wouldn't do it anyways. We've all offered, he's comfortable in his own home. A stubborn man.

All the same at that age, we'll be too, hope it works out
Edited by: "SCuboid" 18th Jul
Toptrumpet16 h, 30 m ago

I’ve bought this one from screwfix £14.99 today[Image] just changing the co …I’ve bought this one from screwfix £14.99 today[Image] just changing the combination now. It has a 30 year warranty and is weatherproof. The combination dials have a pull down cover over them to keep any rain out. The casing is fully made of metal and is quite heavy, the box cover’s opening edges are flush with the outer casing. Comes with 4 long fixing screws, I would think it would be hard to break into.The one you are looking at on eBay, I think you have to press the combination back in to allow the locking mechanism to retract so that it fits back into the aperture. The one I bought just clicks back into place. Not a big difference, but if someone doesn’t know they have to put the combination back in again to replace the cover then that will cause confusion.I was really trying to find a small box with a separate black rubber cover to fully encompass the box, like the type social services provide, but couldn’t source one quickly.At the end of the day, if someone is determined to get into a property, they will smash a window rather than try to break into the key box.

Agree and it’s safer than leaving the door unlocked, at least the key is locked away.

OP make sure you notify the insurance company about this to avoid any issues if there is a break in.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Jul
I would agree with the post above, they are rubbish, but they are still better than leaving the door unlocked.

I would put a camera up, (preferably one with a PIR motion sensor to reduce false alerts) to monitor the door and the key box.

I looked into replacing one of those cheap £15 masterlock boxes being used by a club to secure vehicle keys, and none I found appeared to be much of an improvement.
melted1 h, 10 m ago

I would agree with the post above, they are rubbish, but they are still …I would agree with the post above, they are rubbish, but they are still better than leaving the door unlocked.I would put a camera up, (preferably one with a PIR motion sensor to reduce false alerts) to monitor the door and the key box.I looked into replacing one of those cheap £15 masterlock boxes being used by a club to secure vehicle keys, and none I found appeared to be much of an improvement.

I agree all the boxes have their weaknesses. He lives in a flat, I'm just hoping if anyone went to the trouble of breaking the box, it'd make noise alert the neighbours, and hopefully put them off. I'm praying the people that let themselves in and stole from him is a one off.
If you do go for a lock box, try and position it somewhere that can’t be seen easily from the road/pavement.
STRICKIBHOY1 h, 27 m ago

I agree all the boxes have their weaknesses. He lives in a flat, I'm just …I agree all the boxes have their weaknesses. He lives in a flat, I'm just hoping if anyone went to the trouble of breaking the box, it'd make noise alert the neighbours, and hopefully put them off. I'm praying the people that let themselves in and stole from him is a one off.

You might of course find it’s the Carers’s stealing, it does happen more than you might think. Some indoor cameras might be better, placed around the home.
Toptrumpet17th Jul

Bought a house and it had one of these on the wall no combination so I used a bolster and hammer to break into it 2 secs and effortless I would avoid this at all costs. IMO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants