Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Safe to Place External Hard-Drive on top of Xbox Series S?

Posted 29th Nov 2022
Hi Gaming/Tech Folks

So got a discounted Series S from the Amazon deal which I've had mounted behind the TV. I'm considering getting a portable 4TB Hard-Drive to store my digital Xbox games on but was wondering if it would be safe being kept on the back? Pic below. The vents wouldnt be affected but I was just concerned about overheating if anyone had any thoughts or past experiences? thanks all

19673312781669719175.jpg3737835321669719185.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Mine sits on top of the console quite happily. As long as no air intake nor exhaust vents are being covered I don’t see any problem.
  2. Avatar
    Should be fine, I've done similar on ours I just used velcro to attach it - been working fine
  3. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks @KodaBear @Blurryface

Will go ahead and order one in then - velcro sounds like a smart idea too so will grab some bits so it sits fine
    I just mounted ours vertical on the white front panel, vertical may not be the best for a HDD but it's been fine so far.. have a drive connected to our TV that's been mounted vertical stuck to back of tv and it's been going strong over a year now lol
  4. Avatar
    Do you need such a big drive given you can't play nearly all series s/x games off an external drive anyway.
    No but you can store your entire game library on there and quite quickly transfer it from HDD to SSD ready to play. It’s a great option if you don’t have ultrafast broadband
Top Merchants