Groups

Safe Way to Purchase From Someone Over the Internet?

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone here could help me out...

I'm interested in purchasing a laptop for almost £1k from someone who advertised on Gumtree who is willing to send the item out to me. I've spoken to the seller on the phone and seems genuine.

However, how would you guys recommend I pay the seller? Through Paypal? Will I get any sort of buyer protection this way? What's the safest way I can pay? Or shall I avoid doing this altogether...?

I think the main thing I'm worried about is if I pay but don't receive anything, what on earth can I do...

Thanks all!

21 Comments

£1K for a laptop ?

best way is in person imo

How much is it new?

Original Poster

Mum2ConnornCerys

£1K for a laptop ?

It's a high spec 17" MacBook Pro

Banned

Gumtree = scamtree

Original Poster

longbowassassin

How much is it new?

Roughly £2k

Banned

Trust me. You'd be safer sending your grand to Nigeria

I would never send money to someone I didn't know whether they seem genuine or not! Can you afford to lose £1000?

don't do it, imo.

In person or not at all for an item of value

If your spending that much on a laptop for peace of mind, spend the little bit extra and go collect in person.

Original Poster

OK guys, thank you all so much for your prompt replies!

I think it's clear I should not go ahead with this, and I have just contacted the person selling it to let them know I cannot purchase it from them with no protection.

You guys could have saved me from losing £1k!

I bet it's "Hot"

WaxMechaniK

OK guys, thank you all so much for your prompt replies!I think it's clear … OK guys, thank you all so much for your prompt replies!I think it's clear I should not go ahead with this, and I have just contacted the person selling it to let them know I cannot purchase it from them with no protection.You guys could have saved me from losing £1k!

they'll probably send you a condom

If you're saving over 1k then why not go and meet the guy???

tomwatts

He would, but he lives in nigeria

Banned

tomwatts

the OP sounds about 15, would you send your 15yr old out with 1k? hell when I went and bought a bike for 1k I brought a heavy.

OP, when you say he seemed "genuine" do you mean by any chance that he didn't say he would run off with your 1k?? Come on man, you can't seriously have needed anyone on here to tell you that its a terrible idea to send a grand to someone you don't know.

Unfortunately we don't live in a world full of peacocks and daffodils and there are scumbags that will scam you without a second thought.

Be safe

Original Poster

lumoruk

the OP sounds about 15, would you send your 15yr old out with 1k? hell … the OP sounds about 15, would you send your 15yr old out with 1k? hell when I went and bought a bike for 1k I brought a heavy.

Not sure what you were implying there?

Original Poster

Just giving everyone an update, the person selling the laptop is currently in Scotland while Im in Wales. He has agreed to send it back to his parents house in Wales (which is where it was advertised although he had to leave), and I will go and see it and pay for it in person

The reason I asked this question to you all is to find out if there is some sort of method out there that allow me to purchase the laptop and have us both covered. eBay (via paypal) offers this solution but you have to advertise to millions not one person and eBay will take a chunky cut.

Anyway thanks again, picking the laptop up later in the week, certainly won't be sending money to any stranger in the near or far future!

Banned

2k laptop for 1k...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764292
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31152
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846196
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917264

See more discussions