Safest way to be paid on Shpock -posting item

Found 29th Jul
Selling a £25 mobile and have been asked for a post out.Have added an extra £5 to cost.Apart from cash on collection what do people recommend for payment?PPG ,bank transfer?
What are the potential problems?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
PayPal
Not paypal, although paypal gift is safe, in some circumstances they could claim it back.

Bank transfer is safest, They can't claim it back then.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 29th Jul
PayPal Gift and Bank Transfer are the best two options, but I'd wait a day after receiving the money before sending the item (I think there is a policy which allows chargebacks for these methods if they are done on the same day).

I've always accepted both on Shpock, haven't had any problems yet.
Buyer has listed his address which is a real house.Also is it worth asking for feedback from other sites?
simonvf4003 m ago

Buyer has listed his address which is a real house.Also is it worth asking …Buyer has listed his address which is a real house.Also is it worth asking for feedback from other sites?

No point really, it's riskier for them as they might pay via PPG and never get the item they purchased.
Edited by: "jamie015" 29th Jul
You should state in your ad collection only, saves all the hassle.
Cash to your account over bank / Post Office counter. Cannot be recalled under any circumstances to best of my knowledge, plus the person paying the wedge will have multiple images / videos captured by the recipient organisation (unless paying over counter of some quaint middle-of-nowhere village Post Office - but Doris the post-mistress will remember the stranger sufficiently to obtain decent description). Mild inconvenience for buyer cos the buyer can't sit in front of a device to scam click&send money, but there are very few peeps who could not reach a bank / PO, especially as many POs are now within small shops with extended opening hours.
simonvf4002 h, 35 m ago

Buyer has listed his address which is a real house.Also is it worth asking …Buyer has listed his address which is a real house.Also is it worth asking for feedback from other sites?

Tbh as you're the seller. I'd be more worried in your feedback over the buyers feedback. As you'd be holding onto my money first before I get the item. The risk is larger for me than it is for you.

I would accept PayPal gift and banks transfer.

Shpock now has a built in PayPal payment option. But I haven't yet read the terms on their charge back. As sphock aren't amazing in helping when someone goes wrong. I had a rude seller who sold me an item at the wrong size. I reported her and they said on the lines as "as we haven't seen the item we can not believe either off you."

I didn't want a refund, but wanted to report the sellers rudeness (called me a C word etc via messages).
kos1c1 m ago

Tbh as you're the seller. I'd be more worried in your feedback over the …Tbh as you're the seller. I'd be more worried in your feedback over the buyers feedback. As you'd be holding onto my money first before I get the item. The risk is larger for me than it is for you. I would accept PayPal gift and banks transfer. Shpock now has a built in PayPal payment option. But I haven't yet read the terms on their charge back. As sphock aren't amazing in helping when someone goes wrong. I had a rude seller who sold me an item at the wrong size. I reported her and they said on the lines as "as we haven't seen the item we can not believe either off you." I didn't want a refund, but wanted to report the sellers rudeness (called me a C word etc via messages).

PayPal through Shpock is goods and services, and Shpock take a small fee (dependant on item value).
Edited by: "jamie015" 29th Jul
jamie0152 m ago

PayPal through Shpock is goods and services, and Shpock take a small fee …PayPal through Shpock is goods and services, and Shpock take a small fee (dependant on item value).

Ah, didn't know they took a cut as well. I'd stick to privately sending and recieving my funds. No middle man to help side with the wrong party (eBay always siding with the buyer etc).
Unless you are desperate for the money why not hold out for a local buyer, I refuse to post items now to avoid complaints later, this way they get too see and try what they are buying, pay you cash and no complaints later, I have been doing this for 18 months now and no complaints to date and always get great feedback.
I would prefer cash on collection but my location means a limited local response.So far local buyers have not completed the sale .I have relisted the mobile 3 times but no luck yet.
kos1c51 m ago

(called me a C word etc via messages).

Charismatic?
ScubaDudes46 m ago

Charismatic?

Yes, and I was livid! How dare they!
simonvf4001 h, 13 m ago

I would prefer cash on collection but my location means a limited local …I would prefer cash on collection but my location means a limited local response.So far local buyers have not completed the sale .I have relisted the mobile 3 times but no luck yet.

As it's only a small amount of money. Don't be so over precautions. People have to start from experiences. If your feedback on sphock is decent (20-25+) buyers won't feel paranoid about the experience.

I've sent £50-200 to people on a chance to receive goods. But that's usually down to communication quality, feedback and when they were a member of that platform (usually relates to Facebook that last one).

If someone loves far away and wants a item. Complete the agreement on sphock and wait for payment, if they pay, post the item. If they don't, then relist, or wait for eBay £1 max fees promotion (I usually sell my more expensive items that way for a larger audience).
Personally, if posting I request payment via PayPal gift. No issues so far.
Back payment. No chance of the buyer doing a charge back. Instant access
Buyer offered bank transfer so I am going for that.
Thanks for the advice.
kos1c15 h, 18 m ago

Ah, didn't know they took a cut as well. I'd stick to privately sending …Ah, didn't know they took a cut as well. I'd stick to privately sending and recieving my funds. No middle man to help side with the wrong party (eBay always siding with the buyer etc).

Ebay don't always side with the buyer, though I'd say most of the time they do....ebay have sided with me twice in the last year as the seller
PayPal is always the safest way imo. Whether you're a buyer or seller.
If you're the seller, send your item always by insured, no matter how much the item is worth, whether it is £5, or £500.always factor this in to the postage cost.

If the buyer then tries to say you haven't sent it, they haven't received it or whatever, then you will have a signature as proof, or a delivery confirmation.

Remember 90% of royal mail parcels are now Trackable, and since they've introduced the 2D barcodes, it is now even safer to send through royal mail.

If you can, always either print out your own postage, or take to the post office, don't use stamps and send through post box, otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on of it gets "lost".
Wirralbargains771 h, 18 m ago

Ebay don't always side with the buyer, though I'd say most of the time …Ebay don't always side with the buyer, though I'd say most of the time they do....ebay have sided with me twice in the last year as the seller

Lucky. I rang them and they told me that they would side with the buyer in my case.

Sold a graphics card to buyers, he claims it wasn't working. I said it was. They told me to accept returns and when it arrives test it and then refund the buyer.

So I tested it, spoke to eBay and told them it works, the buyer was trying it on they didn't care. Told the buyer and fortunately he offered to pay my returns postage etc as eBay weren't going to refund either post fees.
Update-Bank transfer worked and phone posted and has been delivered.So all good.
Thanks everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions