Sainsbury’s and Argos rollout FREE sunflower lanyards in all stores for customers with hidden disabilities

Posted 8th Oct
Amazing idea and great to see it's now been rolled out to Argos and Sainsbury's stores nationwide!.

''Following a successful trial earlier this year, the initiative offers shoppers the option to pick up a sunflower lanyard in store, which has been purposely designed to act as a discreet sign for store colleagues that they may need to provide a customer with additional support.

Colleagues will be happy to provide extra support such as assisting with finding shopping items or simply giving customers more time at the checkout. Lanyards will be available to collect for free and are for each customer to keep so they can use it every time they come into store.

The sunflower design is now recognised by a number of organisations across the UK and was initially adopted by Gatwick Airport, whom Sainsbury’s worked closely with throughout the trial. By using the same design, it means customers have the option to use their lanyard in shops across the UK, in the knowledge that store colleagues will recognise what it stands for.''

3306071.jpg
Source

''This is not a deal but may benefit so many people who are unaware of the scheme, so I hope it’s allowed and I hope it’s not been posted before (I couldn’t find anything)

hiddendisabilitiesstore.com

What is the sunflower lanyard scheme?

Supported by charities including RNIB, Alzheimer’s Society, The National Autistic Society and Action on Hearing Loss - sunflower lanyards can let others know if you have hidden disabilities.
The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) said, “If you have a disability that may not be immediately obvious but would appreciate support from staff in airports or supermarkets, then you may be interested to know there is a lanyard you can wear to signal this.

“The lanyard, which is entirely voluntary for people with hidden disabilities and their families, acts as a discreet sign for staff that additional support or help may be required.”

How does the sunflower lanyard work for people with hidden disabilities?

If you’re wearing a lanyard, staff can offer you help but won’t know what your individual disability and needs are. Just let them know what they can do.

The support that can be provided with a lanyard includes:

*more time at the checkout
*packing your bags
*speaking face-to-face to allow lip reading
*using clear and easy to understand language
*help with hard-to-reach products
*making others aware a person may be struggling or have behavioural issues.

Which hidden disabilities are eligible for a sunflower lanyard?

The types of hidden disabilities that are eligible for a sunflower lanyard include:

*autism and Asperger’s
*learning disabilities
*dementia
*mobility issues (e.g arthritis, MS, ME, chronic illness)
*visual or hearing impairments

Who are using the sunflower lanyards?
All major airports are using them and now Sainsburys have introduced them too, with a roll out expected in M&S and Tesco.

Where can you get a lanyard?
Ask at customer services in your local Sainsburys where you can collect one for free.

You can also order online from hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/pro…tml where it will cost you 55p + p&p and you can also find more info from their website''

Credit for all this info above goes to @CalamitySue (Thank you )
Community Updates

Groups

18 Comments
This is a lovely idea and going by the final section of the post, I really hope other grocery stores such as Tesco, Asda etc will also recognise this lanyard

Do you know if one can use this lanyard if they have any disability? I'd rather not share it to the public in a comment as I've been bullied for it before, but part of it is I get really nervous in awkward situations - for example if there is a price error where the staff are claiming the scanned price is correct, not the price on the shelf, I would just pay for or leave the item rather than try and argue over it like some other people would

I also hope the lanyard isn't abused by people who don't actually need it wearing it, but not all disabilities are visible so never judge if you see someone wearing it when (to you) it looks like they don't need it. For all you know, they could
andrewworrall108/10/2019 10:48

This is a lovely idea and going by the final section of the post, I really …This is a lovely idea and going by the final section of the post, I really hope other grocery stores such as Tesco, Asda etc will also recognise this lanyardDo you know if one can use this lanyard if they have any disability? I'd rather not share it to the public in a comment as I've been bullied for it before, but part of it is I get really nervous in awkward situations - for example if there is a price error where the staff are claiming the scanned price is correct, not the price on the shelf, I would just pay for or leave the item rather than try and argue over it like some other people wouldI also hope the lanyard isn't abused by people who don't actually need it wearing it, but not all disabilities are visible so never judge if you see someone wearing it when (to you) it looks like they don't need it. For all you know, they could

Hey @andrewworrall1 I am hoping others do follow suit! Regarding use of the Lanyward going by the text that's been released it should be ANY hidden disability, sadly SOME people can be quick to judge so this goes some way of making others aware and if help is required in certain situations.

If passing one of the stores, it's well worth asking. If i pass one of the stores over the next few days i'll pop in and ask.
It's a great idea and hopefully one that wont be exploited by those who dont have any disabilities hidden or otherwise for their own gain .
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 8th Oct
oliviasgrandad08/10/2019 10:58

It's a great idea and hopefully one that wont be exploited by those who …It's a great idea and hopefully one that wont be exploited by those who dont have any disabilities hidden or otherwise for their own gain .

how would a non-disabled person gain from having more time at a checkout?
Is this something that needs to be asked for or can you get it online?

As mentioned in other posts I suffer with severe mental health disorders. And I only ever go to the shops with my partner so one of these would definitely make her life easier with people being less inclined to just assume because I’m a big burly ginger lad, everything works fine with me mentally. I can’t cope with large crowds of people and being spoken to by strangers which makes for a very uncomfortable shopping experience for my partner who has to constantly explain to people.

But she also suffers with EDS (elhers danlos syndrome) which can make our shops a bit more difficult when people are in a rush and less understanding. Especially after she’s finished work he body sometimes can’t cope with people rushing and pushing her.
DanSpaghetti08/10/2019 11:44

Is this something that needs to be asked for or can you get it online? As …Is this something that needs to be asked for or can you get it online? As mentioned in other posts I suffer with severe mental health disorders. And I only ever go to the shops with my partner so one of these would definitely make her life easier with people being less inclined to just assume because I’m a big burly ginger lad, everything works fine with me mentally. I can’t cope with large crowds of people and being spoken to by strangers which makes for a very uncomfortable shopping experience for my partner who has to constantly explain to people. But she also suffers with EDS (elhers danlos syndrome) which can make our shops a bit more difficult when people are in a rush and less understanding. Especially after she’s finished work he body sometimes can’t cope with people rushing and pushing her.

Hey, as i understand it you can ask in-store and ask one of the staff for the lanyard

Hope this goes someway to making things a little easier for you both!
goonertillidie08/10/2019 12:01

Hey, as i understand it you can ask in-store and ask one of the staff for …Hey, as i understand it you can ask in-store and ask one of the staff for the lanyard Hope this goes someway to making things a little easier for you both!

Thank you for not being a (insert word) recently with the current state of the mental health system and being told “there’s no magic wands, and I need to make an effort” after trying to top myself, it sounds stupid but having something like this I can feel like less of a burden.
DanSpaghetti08/10/2019 12:05

Thank you for not being a (insert word) recently with the current state of …Thank you for not being a (insert word) recently with the current state of the mental health system and being told “there’s no magic wands, and I need to make an effort” after trying to top myself, it sounds stupid but having something like this I can feel like less of a burden.

Let us know how you get on sourcing your Lanyard

Just a note from me, noone is ever a burden, this may help in future, if not seen already nhs.uk/oneyou

Good luck!
goonertillidie08/10/2019 13:20

Let us know how you get on sourcing your Lanyard Just a note from me, …Let us know how you get on sourcing your Lanyard Just a note from me, noone is ever a burden, this may help in future, if not seen already https://www.nhs.uk/oneyouGood luck!

Really appreciate that. there are some good eggs on here
I think these would be great for myself (COPD, damaged coccyx and hips going awry) and my son (social anxiety and dyslexia) - though he rarely shops alone. I am slow at checkouts when my breathing is bad and my back is aching, I use the disabled checkout in Asda and most of them know me, so it isn't a problem in there, or I just say I have to go slower (wherever I shop). I wish I'd seen this earlier as my daughter and I were parked by Sainsbury's this afternoon, I'd have popped in to get a couple. Great idea!
These are great ideas. My daughter has epilepsy and autism. These are both hidden disabilities. She has just turned 16 and this will support her to try and shop for herself. She is really slow and doesn't understand properly. So needs time. This will help. Will keep you posted if it works.
goonertillidie08/10/2019 10:54

Hey @andrewworrall1 I am hoping others do follow suit! Regarding use of …Hey @andrewworrall1 I am hoping others do follow suit! Regarding use of the Lanyward going by the text that's been released it should be ANY hidden disability, sadly SOME people can be quick to judge so this goes some way of making others aware and if help is required in certain situations.If passing one of the stores, it's well worth asking. If i pass one of the stores over the next few days i'll pop in and ask.

100% all hidden disabilities
Edited by moderator: "Edited from the official Android app" 9th Oct
goonertillidie08/10/2019 13:20

Let us know how you get on sourcing your Lanyard Just a note from me, …Let us know how you get on sourcing your Lanyard Just a note from me, noone is ever a burden, this may help in future, if not seen already https://www.nhs.uk/oneyouGood luck!

My Dad got me a lanyard and it has a clip on it no idea what you can attach to it? But it’s given me a perhaps false sense of ease when going to the shops with my partner. I’ll be taking it out with me at the weekend as she wants to try and get me to manage with crowds of people even if we aren’t shopping for anything. Just thought I’d give a follow up.
@thomasleep I saw half of your comment on the other thread but couldn’t reply as it was deleted (duplicate post)
I think you were asking if the staff on the till should’ve asked if you had a hidden disability?
If so, the answer is probably no.
Some people would take offence at being asked that question (not that a hidden disability is anything to be ashamed of or embarrassed by in the slightest
Also, imagine if checkout staff asked every single person who came in.
The leaflet highlighted the lanyards so it’s up to people to ask about them if they’re interested.
This is a new scheme which hopefully will be shared a lot, as so many people will benefit from it. As it’s new, it’ll need lots of publicity for it to work well so tell everyone
CalamitySue16/10/2019 09:29

@thomasleep I saw half of your comment on the other thread but couldn’t r …@thomasleep I saw half of your comment on the other thread but couldn’t reply as it was deleted (duplicate post)I think you were asking if the staff on the till should’ve asked if you had a hidden disability?If so, the answer is probably no.Some people would take offence at being asked that question (not that a hidden disability is anything to be ashamed of or embarrassed by in the slightestAlso, imagine if checkout staff asked every single person who came in.The leaflet highlighted the lanyards so it’s up to people to ask about them if they’re interested.This is a new scheme which hopefully will be shared a lot, as so many people will benefit from it. As it’s new, it’ll need lots of publicity for it to work well so tell everyone

My opinion is that if they see someone reading it they should ask if they need any further help given that the RNIB are involved with it, if I was reading the leaflet I would obviously not take any offence. It strikes me as a bit of a gimmick and could end up being confusing for people who need this kind of help when they realise the only place they have any chance of it being available is sainsbury's argos and airports It should have been launched with a much more coherent strategy.
Edited by: "thomasleep" 16th Oct
thomasleep16/10/2019 09:38

My opinion is that if they see someone reading it they should ask if they …My opinion is that if they see someone reading it they should ask if they need any further help given that the RNIB are involved with it, if I was reading the leaflet I would obviously not take any offence. It strikes me as a bit of a gimmick and could end up being confusing for people who need this kind of help when they realise the only place they have any chance of it being available is sainsbury's argos and airports It should have been launched with a much more coherent strategy.

There are plans for other places to implement it in the near future, like M&S and Tesco.
It’s something I definitely think will grow when people become more aware of it and more people (retailers) will become involved.
CalamitySue16/10/2019 10:00

There are plans for other places to implement it in the near future, like …There are plans for other places to implement it in the near future, like M&S and Tesco.It’s something I definitely think will grow when people become more aware of it and more people (retailers) will become involved.

Not much use for somebody with autism who has no idea where this is or isn't available, like I said poorly thought out and no coherent strategy. Thinking it will grow and it happening are two very different things. I am all for the idea, but it has not been thought out properly and could end up causing a lot of confusion to those who are least able to deal with it.
thomasleep16/10/2019 10:04

Not much use for somebody with autism who has no idea where this is or …Not much use for somebody with autism who has no idea where this is or isn't available, like I said poorly thought out and no coherent strategy. Thinking it will grow and it happening are two very different things. I am all for the idea, but it has not been thought out properly and could end up causing a lot of confusion to those who are least able to deal with it.

The idea of publicising the scheme is so people will be aware of it, including those with autism and various other hidden disabilities.
I don’t understand why you’d think it would cause confusion. I can only see the positives in the scheme.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants