33712880-rOQYX.jpg
58 Comments
Sainsda
Assburys.
Biddy22 m ago

Assburys.

I was trying not to be that rude
Laldi

Shocking news. Surely they would have to get rid of a lot of their staff.
Monopolies commision would look at this, surely?
Sainsbury's buys Argos then Sainsbury's and asda merge what's next Tesco buys them lol
hemp3 m ago

sounds like they would have to close a lot of stores yes
artnada1 m ago

yes.
_Enzo_25 m ago

Sainsbury's buys Argos then Sainsbury's and asda merge what's next Tesco …Sainsbury's buys Argos then Sainsbury's and asda merge what's next Tesco buys them lol

they mention the booker takeover but not what it really entails
telegraph.co.uk/bus…or/

so tesco now run (even if they don't technically own)
your local Londis, Budgens, Premier and Happy Shopper. as well as one stop
telegraph.co.uk/bus…or/
Edited by: "Wongy110" 28th Apr
Not good news for both consumers and staff working in either of these stores.
Obvious really ASDA doesn’t have any of the conveinance stores that Sainsbury’s have and that’s where the big growth is
artnada1 h, 30 m ago

I'm sure they would. I remember Safeway folding (I know a little different to this situation), the 3 big names all wanted to buy the vacated stores but not 1 could buy more than the other and you would think they would be told to close stores that were cornering the market in certain areas and I'm sure the other 2 would snap them up.
hemp1 h, 53 m ago

Sainsburys have just made a load of Staff redundant by streamlining departments in stores
BFCsider51 m ago

I'm sure they would. I remember Safeway folding (I know a little different …I'm sure they would. I remember Safeway folding (I know a little different to this situation), the 3 big names all wanted to buy the vacated stores but not 1 could buy more than the other and you would think they would be told to close stores that were cornering the market in certain areas and I'm sure the other 2 would snap them up.

Apart from a couple of genuinely independent(and struggling )corner shops was trying to think of any 'convenience' stores around here
that were not on that tesco buyout list and could only come up with Mccolls.

telegraph.co.uk/bus…al/
Wealth extraction at the expense of wealth creation, and it takes away human value.
This merger would effectively allow them to merge a lot of functions such as their supply chain, head office functions and together they are as big if not bigger than Tesco.
I am expecting large gray concrete boxes being vacated all over the country.
splender6 m ago

Wealth extraction at the expense of wealth creation, and it takes away …Wealth extraction at the expense of wealth creation, and it takes away human value.

Yeah the whole thing leaves an "Amazon" taste in the month.
Wongy1103 h, 21 m ago

I was trying not to be that rude

That one doesn't make sense anyway I said asburys at like 11am this morning
33712880-rOQYX.jpg
artnada5 h, 47 m ago

We know they do a fantastic job so bet we can guess what will happen there.
They say it’s because they want to take on Tesco but reality is Asda couldn’t brake their market share after being taken over by the business killer Walmart so no chance it will happen now.
Hopefully this will be stopped. Asda much cheaper than Sainsbury
shabbird12 m ago

Looks like they'll keep the brands separate. And with more buying power, products may become cheaper. Still hoping this gets blocked by the CMA though, just offering a counter argument
That would be nice.. but you know they will soon be close stores so they don't compete with each other etc..
Theses supermarkets must be laundering money somehow. It surprises me that every year they claim they profits are falling and falling and making staff redundant. Then all of a sudden tesco has £4 billion for bookers and sainsburys has 1.1 billion for argos £250 million for nectar and now £10 billion for asda.

So in my view sainsburys has made billions in profit not £600 million.

Tesco has made over £4 billion profit not around £1 billion

Anyone else care to enlighten me on how this money all appears for buy outs but is very low when it comes to taxing the profits.
chrisw0302902 m ago

Theses supermarkets must be laundering money somehow. It surprises me that …Theses supermarkets must be laundering money somehow. It surprises me that every year they claim they profits are falling and falling and making staff redundant. Then all of a sudden tesco has £4 billion for bookers and sainsburys has 1.1 billion for argos £250 million for nectar and now £10 billion for asda. So in my view sainsburys has made billions in profit not £600 million. Tesco has made over £4 billion profit not around £1 billionAnyone else care to enlighten me on how this money all appears for buy outs but is very low when it comes to taxing the profits.

Well Tesco for one are one of the largest landowners in the country.
forget the profit/loss they had billions upon billions in assets.
grex910113 m ago

It's a shame that they don't sell punctuation...

Well done you 👏, do you feel better about yourself now?
I hope so.
BFCsider3 m ago

Well done you 👏, do you feel better about yourself now?I hope so.

Pretty much.
grex91012 m ago

Pretty much.

Great, here to help.
chrisw0302901 h, 6 m ago

...Anyone else care to enlighten me on how this money all appears for buy …...Anyone else care to enlighten me on how this money all appears for buy outs but is very low when it comes to taxing the profits.

Loans & funds already accrued from previous trading years.
we will be told it will mean lower prices for us.

but in reality it will mean closed distribution centres,closed stores,stores having to be sold off due to competition ruling,thousands losing their jobs,the Americans controlling more of our foods and of course price rises.

will anything be done to stop this ?

of course not silly, its Britain..
Edited by: "hooray.henry" 29th Apr
hooray.henry9 h, 45 m ago

we will be told it will mean lower prices for us.but in reality it will …we will be told it will mean lower prices for us.but in reality it will mean closed distribution centres,closed stores,stores having to be sold off due to competition ruling,thousands losing their jobs,the Americans controlling more of our foods and of course price rises.will anything be done to stop this ?of course not silly, its Britain..

What many people don’t realise is the majority of offers and discounts don’t come from the supermarket themselves but the suppliers who pay for all of those offers, to have their products in prominent places. Supermarket are the worst payers but if a supplier pays them late for the promotions it can be a nightmare even for the major international suppliers.
shabbird12 h, 58 m ago

I'll agree to that. And, quality is better than Sainsburys, who seem to have lost their way from being a premium supermarket.
jamie01514 h, 28 m ago

Looks like they'll keep the brands separate. And with more buying power, …Looks like they'll keep the brands separate. And with more buying power, products may become cheaper. Still hoping this gets blocked by the CMA though, just offering a counter argument

Lower prices.....hahahah. I love your optimism. More likely higher profits.
Oneday7743 m ago

Lower prices.....hahahah. I love your optimism. More likely higher profits.

I can imagine Argos in Asda now. They will kill all of the crazy Asda tech store specific deals
shabbird19 h, 12 m ago

Yet I find Fruit and Veg quality much better at Sainsbury’s yet I’m not faithful to neither or none at that fact it’s what suits people!
SadDas?
I can't be loyal to any one supermarket any more, those days have long gone. I shop wherever they have offers that
suit me and prices to match. There is only one supermarket I refuse to shop in but that is a personal decision.
Personally though I think that this will kill off Asda - Sainsburys appeals to a different demographic so unless they
change their price and stock structure they will loose the Asda buying power to the cheaper stores like
Lidl Aldi and Tesco.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants