Sainsbury's bans sale of fireworks from all 2300 stores

Posted 17th Oct
First of many? Sainsbury's have banned the sale on Fireworks in ALL of their 2300 stores due to fears for welfare of pets and the elderly

Good idea? Do you think others should follow suit?

''Sainsbury's is to stop selling fireworks following widespread concern for pets and the elderly.

The supermarket says it will carry no fireworks in any of its 2,300 branches this year.

And the move has been welcomed by shoppers and charities who say the bangers are outdated.''

3310826-R6Lb0.jpg

Source
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Good for sainsbury. I hate them. I'm all for organized displays though
42 Comments
Good. People have already started lighting fireworks after dark near us. Some on Tuesday night were well after midnight.
Me and @BuzzDuraband appreciate this decision.
Good, supermarket fireworks are rubbish anyway,
there's much better places to order from online
and this is not political because ?
cainer117/10/2019 15:24

Good, supermarket fireworks are rubbish anyway,there's much better places …Good, supermarket fireworks are rubbish anyway,there's much better places to order from online

Got any recommendations? I used to buy a lot from Lidl when they sold Weco, but now they've moved to Standard and they're rubbish in comparison. Looking to spend around £200 for New Year.
Dodge6217/10/2019 15:35

Got any recommendations? I used to buy a lot from Lidl when they sold …Got any recommendations? I used to buy a lot from Lidl when they sold Weco, but now they've moved to Standard and they're rubbish in comparison. Looking to spend around £200 for New Year.

ive used this place several times before.. newsboxfireworks.co.uk/col…ing
great customer service and Much bigger fireworks than you'd find in a supermarket, that link is for click n collect from their shop in Loughton Essex, they also have a mail order website but it seems to be down atm

They have video's of the fireworks on their website so you can see what you're buying, very handy and fun to watch
Edited by: "cainer1" 17th Oct
cainer117/10/2019 15:57

ive used this place several times before.. …ive used this place several times before.. https://newsboxfireworks.co.uk/collections/new-years-eve-fireworks?sort_by=price-descendinggreat customer service and Much bigger fireworks than you'd find in a supermarket, that link is for click n collect from their shop in Loughton Essex, they also have a mail order website but it seems to be down atmThey have video's of the fireworks on their website so you can see what you're buying, very handy and fun to watch

This ^
Why ban something that is easy to buy elsewhere or even make yourself ffs ?
what is needed is to educated people and have supervised displays
Good stuff, wasn't even able to hear my TV yesterday and windows were closed.
MR112317/10/2019 17:11

Good stuff, wasn't even able to hear my TV yesterday and windows were …Good stuff, wasn't even able to hear my TV yesterday and windows were closed.

Did you try turning it up?

deeky17/10/2019 17:18

Did you try turning it up?

Nope it was easier bringing my couch closer to the TV. What do you think.
MR112317/10/2019 17:23

Nope it was easier bringing my couch closer to the TV. What do you think. …Nope it was easier bringing my couch closer to the TV. What do you think.

thehiggsboson17/10/2019 16:07

Comment deleted

When your 80+ and some kid fires a rocket through your letter box you might change your mind. It's the few mucking it up for the many unfortunately. That's just how it is. And yes..worked on a place that happened. Actually caught fire but was at new year. Idiots.
My mum got hit in the head by a firework that was placed at an angle on a hill. Luckily it never exploded otherwise - worse case scenario - I could have grown up without ANY parents.
Proper organised displays by professionals that know what they're doing are ok but they are still dangerous.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 17th Oct
Good idea I've always said they should be banned from general sale with licensed event's only using them.
joanddan717/10/2019 18:36

Comment deleted

Whatever next a ban on the right to arm bears ?

but really it strikes me that the same people here doing this are the ones who want a blanket ban on the right to protest "not that that would ever happen" they would argue

oh..,.
cainer117/10/2019 15:57

ive used this place several times before.. …ive used this place several times before.. https://newsboxfireworks.co.uk/collections/new-years-eve-fireworks?sort_by=price-descending

Thanks, I'll check them out at New Year.
thehiggsboson17/10/2019 16:07

Comment deleted

Not the same thing. With properly planned events, planned by companies instead of random people in their garden, it's far more likely to be safer. As well as that, they are generally held in fields or something similar to avoid the noise it would cause in a residential area. For the London one, people are aware of the fireworks well in advance since it is such a regular occurrence.
jamie1517/10/2019 18:56

Not the same thing. With properly planned events, planned by companies …Not the same thing. With properly planned events, planned by companies instead of random people in their garden, it's far more likely to be safer. As well as that, they are generally held in fields or something similar to avoid the noise it would cause in a residential area. For the London one, people are aware of the fireworks well in advance since it is such a regular occurrence.

i think we can all cope with a bit of noise twice a year can't we, and i'm quite capable of organising a little bit of a display in my garden without the nanny state worrying to much about how fast my catherine wheel is spinning and how many db my air bomb repeater is cranking out. follow some pretty simple safety protocols and your probably only going to have a couple of near death experiences and minor injuries throughout your life, either get on the horse and ride it or stand at the fence and go ooooooooooo, but don't tell other people they cant get on because theres a chance they might fall off.
Not getting into to the whole fireworks are good/bad argument, but I assume the real reason for Sainsbury’s not selling them is financial , quite simply the cost involved of locked cabinets , staff time with keys etc , insurance costs for having them on the premises , just doesn’t make it as profitable as they want , and it’s dressed up as being nice to the elderly etc . My Nan was still enjoying fireworks well into her nineties, so each to their own I say .

Equally if anyone in Essex is looking for a supplier, the guys at Firework Crazy in Chelmsford are brilliant , and because it’s a speciality firework shop they are open and licensed to sell all year round .
Wongy11017/10/2019 18:49

Whatever next a ban on the right to arm bears ?but really it strikes me …Whatever next a ban on the right to arm bears ?but really it strikes me that the same people here doing this are the ones who want a blanket ban on the right to protest "not that that would ever happen" they would argueoh..,.

what next - pathetic deleting of comments on forums lmao
thehiggsboson17/10/2019 19:34

i think we can all cope with a bit of noise twice a year can't we, and i'm …i think we can all cope with a bit of noise twice a year can't we, and i'm quite capable of organising a little bit of a display in my garden without the nanny state worrying to much about how fast my catherine wheel is spinning and how many db my air bomb repeater is cranking out. follow some pretty simple safety protocols and your probably only going to have a couple of near death experiences and minor injuries throughout your life, either get on the horse and ride it or stand at the fence and go ooooooooooo, but don't tell other people they cant get on because theres a chance they might fall off.

Great analogy
Getting on a horse far far far more dangerous 🐴
no wonder there loseing money
wayners17/10/2019 15:49

Why should organised displays be any different? They still use banging fireworks that equally cause fear to sensitive individuals and animals.

Ill still celebrate mine and my child's November birthdays with a private bonfire and firework party. The haters can hate, but an organised event is no different. Ive had it every year for as long as i can remember and i've absolutely no plans to change it. Much better to be with friends and family than being stuck at the back of a crowd of random people.
thehiggsboson17/10/2019 19:34

i think we can all cope with a bit of noise twice a year can't we, and i'm …i think we can all cope with a bit of noise twice a year can't we, and i'm quite capable of organising a little bit of a display in my garden without the nanny state worrying to much about how fast my catherine wheel is spinning and how many db my air bomb repeater is cranking out. follow some pretty simple safety protocols and your probably only going to have a couple of near death experiences and minor injuries throughout your life, either get on the horse and ride it or stand at the fence and go ooooooooooo, but don't tell other people they cant get on because theres a chance they might fall off.

It's not just twice a year. Had someone use fireworks today I don't want my peace and quiet to be disturbed by people putting on 'little' displays of disruption. Also you may follow safety protocols but I can say with absolute certainty that not everybody does. From what you are saying, it is normal to you that people have multiple near death experiences? That's concerning.

Horse analogy is not comparable with fireworks as you neglected to mention the noise. Also, horse would be kept on an open space such as a field, which is exactly where fireworks belong with somebody licensed at a planned event setting them off.
Bang out of order!
118luke17/10/2019 20:34

Why should organised displays be any different? They still use banging …Why should organised displays be any different? They still use banging fireworks that equally cause fear to sensitive individuals and animals. Ill still celebrate mine and my child's November birthdays with a private bonfire and firework party. The haters can hate, but an organised event is no different. Ive had it every year for as long as i can remember and i've absolutely no plans to change it. Much better to be with friends and family than being stuck at the back of a crowd of random people.

'Why should organised displays be any different?'!!

Because they are organised for a set time and usually last for 20 minutes or so, not constantly every night for 3 weeks before Nov 5th!!
If people live near an organised display they will know exactly when it starts so can be prepared regarding pets...
I have only ever bought fireworks once
and i am not against the 'nanny state' per effing sec

but you have to draw the line somewhere and this is about it imo
if they can't organise this ?
Smoggy197017/10/2019 21:39

'Why should organised displays be any different?'!!Because they are …'Why should organised displays be any different?'!!Because they are organised for a set time and usually last for 20 minutes or so, not constantly every night for 3 weeks before Nov 5th!!If people live near an organised display they will know exactly when it starts so can be prepared regarding pets...

But surely that should fall under the "nuisance neighbour" remit, where they can be reported to the council. I cannot see any valid reason why those who responsibly use fireworks such as myself should be denied the privilege because of an inconsiderate few.

Its alike to banning the sale of cars, just because a boy racer drives past with a loud noisy exhaust every few days.
Great news, hope all supermarkets follow suit.

Got any recommendations? I used to buy a lot from Lidl when they sold …Got any recommendations? I used to buy a lot from Lidl when they sold Weco, but now they've moved to Standard and they're rubbish in comparison. Looking to spend around £200 for New Year.

Quite like epic fireworks

If you have a local stockist with celtic fireworks available that is usually a good sign celticfireworks.co.uk/ret…ts/
Edited by: "Bertz99" 17th Oct
118luke17/10/2019 22:45

But surely that should fall under the "nuisance neighbour" remit, where …But surely that should fall under the "nuisance neighbour" remit, where they can be reported to the council. I cannot see any valid reason why those who responsibly use fireworks such as myself should be denied the privilege because of an inconsiderate few.Its alike to banning the sale of cars, just because a boy racer drives past with a loud noisy exhaust every few days.

Ironic you mention "nuisance neighbour" - That's you. Would you complain if the council turned up and said there had been noise complaints when you are letting off fireworks?
As for the car analogy, the correct thing would be the ban of noisy exhausts to stop the noise pollution. So the firework equivalent would be a ban on noisy fireworks,
Satan_Claws18/10/2019 08:14

Ironic you mention "nuisance neighbour" - That's you. Would you complain …Ironic you mention "nuisance neighbour" - That's you. Would you complain if the council turned up and said there had been noise complaints when you are letting off fireworks?

Personally I wouldn't complain at all about complaining neighbours. However if my fireworks usage were limited to a short period once or twice a year I would also ignore the neighbours' complaints. Most of my neighbours hang out of their windows watching my display and cheer at the end. My dog isn't keen, but distract him with a ball in the front bedroom for half an hour and he's OK.

Haha Standard fireworks
The most rubbish of all the fireworks.
jamie1517/10/2019 21:16

It's not just twice a year. Had someone use fireworks today I don't …It's not just twice a year. Had someone use fireworks today I don't want my peace and quiet to be disturbed by people putting on 'little' displays of disruption. Also you may follow safety protocols but I can say with absolute certainty that not everybody does. From what you are saying, it is normal to you that people have multiple near death experiences? That's concerning.Horse analogy is not comparable with fireworks as you neglected to mention the noise. Also, horse would be kept on an open space such as a field, which is exactly where fireworks belong with somebody licensed at a planned event setting them off.

it's a metaphor, and has nothing specifically to do with horses or fireworks.
Edited by: "thehiggsboson" 18th Oct
thehiggsboson18/10/2019 14:53

it's a metaphor, and has nothing specifically to do with horses or …it's a metaphor, and has nothing specifically to do with horses or fireworks.

I think that was an analogy, not a metaphor. If it has nothing to do with fireworks then why mention it?
Bertz9917/10/2019 23:32

Quite like epic fireworks

I think I used them last year. The fireworks cam with a great site plan for how I should lay things out with audience, safety area, fireworks and fall-out area. 120 metres in total. I was going to use it until I realised my garden is only 12m long. Amazingly, we all survived.

I do remember a display we held a few years back when a firework fell over (I didn't mount that one) and started firing at the audience. Everyone dived for cover except for the poor (temporarily) disabled guy in a wheelchair who was left there with shells exploding all around him. He survived too, and loves telling the story.
Satan_Claws18/10/2019 08:14

Ironic you mention "nuisance neighbour" - That's you. Would you complain …Ironic you mention "nuisance neighbour" - That's you. Would you complain if the council turned up and said there had been noise complaints when you are letting off fireworks?As for the car analogy, the correct thing would be the ban of noisy exhausts to stop the noise pollution. So the firework equivalent would be a ban on noisy fireworks,

gov.uk/fir…law

Quote: "You must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am, except for:

• Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight
  • New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am"

So absolutely nothing i'm doing is breaking the law. The neighbours sometimes attend our party anyway and they all know its a big family celebration. I do agree on one point you make, regarding the noisy fireworks. I'd think the noisiest fireworks should be banned from sale (that includes organised displays too!), but there is absolutely nothing wrong with ones that don't bang loudly.
jamie1518/10/2019 15:06

I think that was an analogy, not a metaphor. If it has nothing to do with …I think that was an analogy, not a metaphor. If it has nothing to do with fireworks then why mention it?

Because it hasn't necessarily got anything to do with fireworks, its about you wanting to impose what you think is acceptable onto others, and your using noise and safety to try and do that., are you seriously whinging about firework noises for a week in a 52 week year, people whinging irritates me more, the only valid argument you have is safety, and my safety is none of your concern, i'll ride the dangerous horse, i'll go skiing, i'll go downhill mountain biking, i'll jump out of a plane and i'll light some fireworks of in my garden, and if you think you have never been close to death , you've not been paying attention, the time its taken me to write this thousands have probably died or been seriously harmed in their own home, you apply the same logic that you are doing to fireworks to everything else and the world wouldn't be worth living in.
thehiggsboson18/10/2019 15:46

Because it hasn't necessarily got anything to do with fireworks, its …Because it hasn't necessarily got anything to do with fireworks, its about you wanting to impose what you think is acceptable onto others, and your using noise and safety to try and do that., are you seriously whinging about firework noises for a week in a 52 week year, people whinging irritates me more, the only valid argument you have is safety, and my safety is none of your concern, i'll ride the dangerous horse, i'll go skiing, i'll go downhill mountain biking, i'll jump out of a plane and i'll light some fireworks of in my garden, and if you think you have never been close to death , you've not been paying attention, the time its taken me to write this thousands have probably died or been seriously harmed in their own home, you apply the same logic that you are doing to fireworks to everything else and the world wouldn't be worth living in.

Imposing what you think is acceptable onto others? That is what laws do, and I think that fireworks should be licensed the whole year around.

My argument has nothing to do with the safety of those setting off the fireworks. You know the risks so it's your choice.

However, I have plenty of issues with the noise. You keep on saying it only lasts a week but it 100% doesn't so that's nonsense. I have already heard fireworks this week and no doubt there will be more over the next few months. The law states that fireworks must not be set off after 11pm unless on Diwali/New Year's Eve/Chinese New Year (1am) or Bonfire Night (midnight). However, especially on Diwali, fireworks go on after the time restrictions set in law.

Your argument for near death experiences made me realise you don't think of a near death experience in the same way I do. You think near death experiences are for much smaller incidents than I do. My idea of near death experience is if you are standing in front of a bus and it nearly hits you but you get pushed out of the way just in time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants