Sainsburys launch new Vegan / Vegetarian range including realistic meatless mince and burger patties

Found 29th Jun
Sainsburys have just launched a new range of Vegan and Vegetarian products including realistic looking meatless mince and burger patties. They look just like the real thing but are coloured with beetroot and are made to taste like meat without actually containing any!

Full Range Here

Naturli plant based mince 400g is £3

2971417-ItfMG.jpg
Naturli plant based burger patties are £2.50 for 2 x 200g patties

2971417-a3oex.jpg
Vivera smokey pulled veggie 175g for £2.50

2971417-2rAHd.jpg
Linda Mccartney vegetarian shredded hoisin duck on offer was £2.50 now £1.85
2971417-5ggYH.jpg
Community Updates
MiscMeat & Sausages
Top comments
adhkarzf1 h, 19 m ago

I've never understood why if you're a vegetarian that you'd want to eat …I've never understood why if you're a vegetarian that you'd want to eat things that are made to look like meat.

If want to adapt dishes from cookbooks/recipes it's useful to have a like for like meat alternative. I was raised vegetarian so what you've never had you never miss, but I know a few people who became veggie and still wanted to enjoy a little ritual of having a meat-free bacon roll, chicken salad etc. Sometimes it's less about taste and more about texture...
I've never understood why if you're a vegetarian that you'd want to eat things that are made to look like meat.
adhkarzf1 h, 22 m ago

I've never understood why if you're a vegetarian that you'd want to eat …I've never understood why if you're a vegetarian that you'd want to eat things that are made to look like meat.

People who are vegan/veg are used to cooking mince, sausages etc. from their pre vegan/veggie days. It makes it easier to market and cook different meat recipes substituting the meat with these stuff.

What does meat actually look like? i.e. if it comes from a cow that mince doesn't look like a cow to me. Also vegans/veges don't eat animals because how it looks or taste. It's to reduce animal cruelty or for health etc.
Jonnoboy1 h, 5 m ago

Me too! strange!Look like the real thing, I'm sure as hell they don't …Me too! strange!Look like the real thing, I'm sure as hell they don't taste like it!! Still each to their own

It probably don't taste the same. But people don't really go vegan/veggie because of a taste issue. It's to do with moral alignment, to reduce impact on environment or health.
Edited by: "ehadz" 29th Jun
45 Comments
I've never understood why if you're a vegetarian that you'd want to eat things that are made to look like meat.
adhkarzf20 m ago

Me too! strange!

Look like the real thing, I'm sure as hell they don't taste like it!! Still each to their own
adhkarzf41 m ago

Exactly what I was thinking. There is so much you can eat / make which tastes awesome.
What on earth is "Vegetarian Shredded Hoisin Duck"? Isn't this against the Trade's Description Act?
adhkarzf1 h, 19 m ago

If want to adapt dishes from cookbooks/recipes it's useful to have a like for like meat alternative. I was raised vegetarian so what you've never had you never miss, but I know a few people who became veggie and still wanted to enjoy a little ritual of having a meat-free bacon roll, chicken salad etc. Sometimes it's less about taste and more about texture...
adhkarzf1 h, 22 m ago

People who are vegan/veg are used to cooking mince, sausages etc. from their pre vegan/veggie days. It makes it easier to market and cook different meat recipes substituting the meat with these stuff.

What does meat actually look like? i.e. if it comes from a cow that mince doesn't look like a cow to me. Also vegans/veges don't eat animals because how it looks or taste. It's to reduce animal cruelty or for health etc.
Jonnoboy1 h, 5 m ago

Me too! strange!Look like the real thing, I'm sure as hell they don't …Me too! strange!Look like the real thing, I'm sure as hell they don't taste like it!! Still each to their own

It probably don't taste the same. But people don't really go vegan/veggie because of a taste issue. It's to do with moral alignment, to reduce impact on environment or health.
Edited by: "ehadz" 29th Jun
adhkarzf1 h, 30 m ago

My daughter chose to become vegan for ethical reasons, not because she disliked the taste of meat
Edited by: "casper1976" 29th Jun
adhkarzf1 h, 30 m ago

I eat food shaped like fruit & vegetables.
Predikuesi44 m ago

What on earth is "Vegetarian Shredded Hoisin Duck"? Isn't this against the …What on earth is "Vegetarian Shredded Hoisin Duck"? Isn't this against the Trade's Description Act?

Probably find its hoisin duck that has been shredded by a vegitarian.
Predikuesi50 m ago

What on earth is "Vegetarian Shredded Hoisin Duck"? Isn't this against the …What on earth is "Vegetarian Shredded Hoisin Duck"? Isn't this against the Trade's Description Act?

123thisisme6 m ago

Probably find its hoisin duck that has been shredded by a vegitarian.

Quorn used the same technique up until recently...

Older packaging:

34183031-X0Jeb.jpg
Replaced with:

34183031-nQMzp.jpg
darkbill29 m ago

If want to adapt dishes from cookbooks/recipes it's useful to have a like …If want to adapt dishes from cookbooks/recipes it's useful to have a like for like meat alternative. I was raised vegetarian so what you've never had you never miss, but I know a few people who became veggie and still wanted to enjoy a little ritual of having a meat-free bacon roll, chicken salad etc. Sometimes it's less about taste and more about texture...

Thats a different way of viewing it i guess.
When i was little there was no such thing as halal sausages and we never ate them, don't feel ive missed out on anything either. Now you can get halal sausages and meat slices etc but i can't eat them as it puts me off from when i was little and knowing they were impermissible to eat.

So these quorn things have almost the same texture as meat/chicken thats interesting to say the least.
adhkarzf37 m ago

...So these quorn things have almost the same texture as meat/chicken …...So these quorn things have almost the same texture as meat/chicken thats interesting to say the least.

I use Quorn pieces & Quorn mince every week.

The mince is very similar in texture. The pieces are not quite the same as a cube of meat, but passable, if you really must eat something resembling what you are avoiding.

When I cook with Quorn one of my kids (who is not avoiding meat) eats it without any complaints.
adhkarzf4 h, 51 m ago

Because you like the taste and look of it, you just dont want it to be made of dead animals.
adhkarzf4 h, 54 m ago

I used to think this also, but I have a vegetarian partner and I also like to have a few meat free days myself so I understand it a lot more. A Bolognese is completely out of the question unless I want to eat alone whereas this solves that issue
adhkarzf5 h, 19 m ago

I don't understand why meat eaters dont eat everything animal shaped. Why do porl sausages look like cucumbers rather than pigs? Why do hamburgers look like slices of aubergine and not a cows face? Strange.
adhkarzf5 h, 29 m ago

Almost all vegetarians are vegetarian for moral reasons, rather than “taste” dislikes

As a former meat-eater, I know how good meat can taste - so for me this is great. Now I get to enjoy flavours and textures which are very similar (some are better), without the guilt of an animal having to die.

it’s really not too difficult to understand if you use your brain.
Jonnoboy5 h, 16 m ago

I have fed people Linda McCartney 1/4lb veggie burgers without telling them. They loved them and didn’t know they were veggie until I told them.

We eat this stuff because we can still enjoy meat flavours and textures without the moral guilt of causing an animals death, or indeed worrying about the health implications of processed meat.

You’re not sure about anything, as if you’d tried the right stuff, you’d know that they do taste like it.
sydney8715 h, 9 m ago

Exactly what I was thinking. There is so much you can eat / make which …Exactly what I was thinking. There is so much you can eat / make which tastes awesome.

These taste awesome too. But veggies shouldn’t eat them because they look like a burger??!
adhkarzf29th Jun

Because being vegeterian means not to hurt animals. It doesn't mean that you don't like meat.

I'm vegeterian, not due to ethical reasons, but I like meat and if I find something that tastes similar to it I'll eat it.
bulletfoss29 m ago

Almost all vegetarians are vegetarian for moral reasons, rather than …Almost all vegetarians are vegetarian for moral reasons, rather than “taste” dislikesAs a former meat-eater, I know how good meat can taste - so for me this is great. Now I get to enjoy flavours and textures which are very similar (some are better), without the guilt of an animal having to die.it’s really not too difficult to understand if you use your brain.

See that was a lovely answer until your last sentence, no idea why people think being rude is ok i asked a genuine question and plenty have answered it without hurling insults or abuse but according to you asking a question is not using ones brain. Others have managed to educate, you though have just managed to be rude in what was otherwise a really good reply.
I wish you a good day and hope in future you can think that others aren't being malicious when they ask simple questions and rather they just want others opinions and insights. It's not about using ones brain but rather helping each other as a community in which we can openly ask questions without fear of being called names or abused.
Tythan29th Jun

Because being vegeterian means not to hurt animals. It doesn't mean that …Because being vegeterian means not to hurt animals. It doesn't mean that you don't like meat.I'm vegeterian, not due to ethical reasons, but I like meat and if I find something that tastes similar to it I'll eat it.

For the record, as a few seem to have commented on this already, I started a pescatarian diet almost 30 years ago due to ethical/moral reasons, lapsed about 15 years later, then realised (after a visit to a Toby Carvery) that I didn't like the taste of meat anyway. I don't see that changing. Even the smell of meat cooking these days turns my stomach.
Edited by: "fanpages" 1st Jul
adhkarzf4 h, 2 m ago

See that was a lovely answer until your last sentence, no idea why people …See that was a lovely answer until your last sentence, no idea why people think being rude is ok i asked a genuine question and plenty have answered it without hurling insults or abuse but according to you asking a question is not using ones brain. Others have managed to educate, you though have just managed to be rude in what was otherwise a really good reply.I wish you a good day and hope in future you can think that others aren't being malicious when they ask simple questions and rather they just want others opinions and insights. It's not about using ones brain but rather helping each other as a community in which we can openly ask questions without fear of being called names or abused.

Snowflake
I'm vegetarian but ate meat until I was 7 (28 now). I stay away from foods that looks like and/or tastes like meat. Makes me feel sick.
To many vegetarian foods now are made to look and taste like meat. Quorn have done the same thing and advertise to meat eaters. It's like vegetarians foods are being aimed at meat eaters as a vegetarian but meat eater friendly food. Yet at the same time they are losing a large chunk of vegetarians.
redduck12 h, 1 m ago

I don't understand why meat eaters dont eat everything animal shaped. Why …I don't understand why meat eaters dont eat everything animal shaped. Why do porl sausages look like cucumbers rather than pigs? Why do hamburgers look like slices of aubergine and not a cows face? Strange.

Hmmm. Fair comments I suppose.
fanpages11 h, 8 m ago

due to ethical/moral reasons, lapsed about 15 years later, then realised …due to ethical/moral reasons, lapsed about 15 years later, then realised (after a visit to a Toby Carvery) that I didn't like the taste of meat anyway.

No, I'm sorry but the visit to Toby Carvery made you realise that you didn't like Toby Carveries, not that you didn't like the taste of meat.
34189681-oG2Sc.jpg
I tried once the soy-based beef pieces for a stew and had to throw it away. Tasted like yeasty pieces of (poo). Disgusting.

The Quorn sausages I tried were quite meaty in taste but dry compared to real pork meat.
The Linda McCartney's mozzarella burgers were ok. Nothing I'd rave about.

There are anyway many tasty dishes naturally vegetarian where you don't need to ingest artificial stuff made to look like meat. Soy-based products are artificial, Quorn is an artificial protein as well.

Cultivation of soy kills animals and their ecosystem too, by the way.
Edited by: "hearts22" 30th Jun
JrobK5 h, 18 m ago

I'm vegetarian but ate meat until I was 7 (28 now). I stay away from foods …I'm vegetarian but ate meat until I was 7 (28 now). I stay away from foods that looks like and/or tastes like meat. Makes me feel sick.To many vegetarian foods now are made to look and taste like meat. Quorn have done the same thing and advertise to meat eaters. It's like vegetarians foods are being aimed at meat eaters as a vegetarian but meat eater friendly food. Yet at the same time they are losing a large chunk of vegetarians.

Why is that a negative thing?. Surely if you're a veggie for moral reasons then it's better that they're targeting meat eaters as well. That's perhaps one less animal slaughtered etc. Or is being a veggie an attention thing for some or some kind of cult?.
Predikuesi2 h, 1 m ago

[Image]

Do you you know the animals you eat? What do they eat? Plants.. and livestock eats much more plants than humans could eat on a plants only diet. To create a meat burger you need lot more plants than a plant based burger.
fanpages18 h, 57 m ago

For the record, as a few seem have commented on this already, I started a …For the record, as a few seem have commented on this already, I started a pescatarian diet almost 30 years ago due to ethical/moral reasons, lapsed about 15 years later, then realised (after a visit to a Toby Carvery) that I didn't like the taste of meat anyway. I don't see that changing. Even the smell of meat cooking these days turns my stomach.

deeky7 h, 48 m ago

No, I'm sorry but the visit to Toby Carvery made you realise that you …No, I'm sorry but the visit to Toby Carvery made you realise that you didn't like Toby Carveries, not that you didn't like the taste of meat.

Oh yes, sorry...

The visit to Toby Carvery made me realise that I didn't like the establishment and I didn't like meat.

It's a rambling story of how not to serve food & why hygiene standards exist.
JrobK11 h, 0 m ago

I'm vegetarian but ate meat until I was 7 (28 now). I stay away from foods …I'm vegetarian but ate meat until I was 7 (28 now). I stay away from foods that looks like and/or tastes like meat. Makes me feel sick.To many vegetarian foods now are made to look and taste like meat. Quorn have done the same thing and advertise to meat eaters. It's like vegetarians foods are being aimed at meat eaters as a vegetarian but meat eater friendly food. Yet at the same time they are losing a large chunk of vegetarians.

That's a good point; advertising vegetarian/plant-based alternate food to meat eaters.

It can be annoying at times when the supermarket shelves are emptied because a new advertising campaign has started & those that don't mind eating meat think they'll try something different.
Plants have feelings too. Plenty of research showing that plants are fully aware of their surroundings and have survival instincts such as actively avoiding mortal danger.
If people feel the need not to eat meat, fine. It is probably better for the world but it's ludicrous to try to take some sort of moral high ground on the subject like so many vegans do when humans are just an all consuming plague upon the world regardless of whether you eat some nice feminising soy based snacks or eat an animal which would have had a miserable life if it wasn't domestically reared.
fanpages17 h, 15 m ago

That's a good point; advertising vegetarian/plant-based alternate food to …That's a good point; advertising vegetarian/plant-based alternate food to meat eaters.It can be annoying at times when the supermarket shelves are emptied because a new advertising campaign has started & those that don't mind eating meat think they'll try something different.

To be honest, as a long term vegetarian, it pleases me to see empty shelves, thinking that meat eaters have had my lunch. I can make my own food today but that one time inconvenience might have led to someone giving up meat without me having to educate them on the factory farming industry. It's a win-win situation
bulletfoss29th Jun

I have fed people Linda McCartney 1/4lb veggie burgers without telling …I have fed people Linda McCartney 1/4lb veggie burgers without telling them. They loved them and didn’t know they were veggie until I told them.We eat this stuff because we can still enjoy meat flavours and textures without the moral guilt of causing an animals death, or indeed worrying about the health implications of processed meat.You’re not sure about anything, as if you’d tried the right stuff, you’d know that they do taste like it.

I really hope you asked about the ingredients and food allergies before slipping those people misrepresented foods, never a good idea in my opinion and certainly makes your statement about people using their brains a bit baffling..
JrobK30th Jun

fanpages20 h, 31 m ago

That's a good point; advertising vegetarian/plant-based alternate food to …That's a good point; advertising vegetarian/plant-based alternate food to meat eaters.It can be annoying at times when the supermarket shelves are emptied because a new advertising campaign has started & those that don't mind eating meat think they'll try something different.

redduck3 h, 16 m ago

To be honest, as a long term vegetarian, it pleases me to see empty …To be honest, as a long term vegetarian, it pleases me to see empty shelves, thinking that meat eaters have had my lunch. I can make my own food today but that one time inconvenience might have led to someone giving up meat without me having to educate them on the factory farming industry. It's a win-win situation

Why do you feel the need to educate anybody about your choices in life?

Also, I was referring to grocery shopping for a few days/a week, not just buying food for a single meal as required.
maddogb2 h, 17 m ago

I really hope you asked about the ingredients and food allergies before …I really hope you asked about the ingredients and food allergies before slipping those people misrepresented foods, never a good idea in my opinion and certainly makes your statement about people using their brains a bit baffling..

A lot of vegetarians think it's OK to do that but if you slip them a bit of meat in retaliation they get all offended.
Rubisco1 h, 1 m ago

A lot of vegetarians think it's OK to do that but if you slip them a bit …A lot of vegetarians think it's OK to do that but if you slip them a bit of meat in retaliation they get all offended.

"slip them a bit of meat" phwoar phwoar

i was going to ask if they did a reverse control by slipping a real burger to their veggie friends but given previous comments didn't think it was worth it..:
Edited by: "maddogb" 1st Jul
I don't see what the issue is with veg food looking/tasting like meat. Surely the hardcore veg and vegans would support that, no? I thought it was all about farming methods etc, so if veg products look/taste like meat, why would they be opposed to that
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants