Sainsbury's Mega Chocolate Traybake 1.69kg (Serves 40) - £10 @ Sainsbury's

Posted 4th Nov
Chocolate cake topped with chocolate buttercream, milk and white chocolate decorations and milk chocolate shortcake biscuits.

sainsburys.co.uk/sho…ake
Community Updates

Groups

12 Comments
Apparently as this is the shops standard price it's not a deal but a discussion
It might be cheaper than 4 other retailers but HDUK will move this to discussion as the shop themselves haven't given it a discount.
Serves 10 more likely and that could be pushing the amount of people too.
Serves 40?

40 chinchillas maybe...
thetarget04/11/2019 00:44

Serves 10 more likely and that could be pushing the amount of people too.

Sounds like someone needs to learn about RDA
MadeDixonsCry04/11/2019 08:36

Sounds like someone needs to learn about RDA

1.69kg with 10 portions is only 169g per person which isn't a lot of cake per person in reality. Especially as this has chocolate and biscuit topping. Probably equivalent to a slice of cake from a coffee shop or John Lewis or similar.
Edited by: "thetarget" 4th Nov
thetarget04/11/2019 12:16

1.69kg with 10 portions is only 169g per person which isn't a lot of cake …1.69kg with 10 portions is only 169g per person which isn't a lot of cake per person in reality. Especially as this has chocolate and biscuit topping. Probably equivalent to a slice of cake from a coffee shop or John Lewis or similar.

According to the link, per 100g of this cake has:

Fat 22.2g
Saturates 8.5g
Sugars 42.7g

therefore, 169g of this cake has
Fat 37.5g
Saturates 14.34g
Sugars 72.2g

Daily reference intakes for adults are:
  • Total fat: less than 70g
  • Saturates: less than 20g
  • Total sugars: 90g

Basically, if you eat a 169g slice of this cake, you shouldn't really eat much else for the rest of the day, and that's not a good thing as this cake has almost no nutritional value.

If you think it "isn't a lot of cake per person in reality" then that only shows why obesity is a common problem in the UK.

You don't need an analysis like this, you only need to look at all the red colour on the nutritional value box to know that this cake is BAD for you, and that's even at the 40g slice size they suggest.

By all means, indulge once in a while, but don't do something stupid and eat a tenth of the cake, that's just asking for trouble.
MadeDixonsCry04/11/2019 12:42

According to the link, per 100g of this cake has:Fat 22.2gSaturates …According to the link, per 100g of this cake has:Fat 22.2gSaturates 8.5gSugars 42.7gtherefore, 169g of this cake hasFat 37.5gSaturates 14.34gSugars 72.2gDaily reference intakes for adults are:Total fat: less than 70gSaturates: less than 20gTotal sugars: 90gBasically, if you eat a 169g slice of this cake, you shouldn't really eat much else for the rest of the day, and that's not a good thing as this cake has almost no nutritional value.If you think it "isn't a lot of cake per person in reality" then that only shows why obesity is a common problem in the UK.You don't need an analysis like this, you only need to look at all the red colour on the nutritional value box to know that this cake is BAD for you, and that's even at the 40g slice size they suggest.By all means, indulge once in a while, but don't do something stupid and eat a tenth of the cake, that's just asking for trouble.

I was only commenting on the actual size of each piece if it was divided into 40 or say 10 as I mentioned. Suggested portion sizes are just made up to make the calories etc look better without being a 2 gram serving sort of thing. As you mention this isn't very nutritional. True it isn't seen as a healthy item and more of a treat but I doubt many people will cut this up to 40 pieces. Even if they do some are likely to have a second serving when they see how small each slice is.

Although if you were doing something like walking across the Artic or working outside in Siberia then the calories and content will be useful. As for RDA everyone has an individual RDA to be their own healthy self. I'm fed up with the blanket statements from the NHS regarding fat, salt, sugar and carbs, protein and fat intakes. It isn't a fit all people thing. Same for medicines. Different ones or combinations of them and different amounts work best for different people for different conditions.
thetarget04/11/2019 14:05

I was only commenting on the actual size of each piece if it was divided …I was only commenting on the actual size of each piece if it was divided into 40 or say 10 as I mentioned.

My response applies to this

Suggested portion sizes are just made up to make the calories etc look …Suggested portion sizes are just made up to make the calories etc look better without being a 2 gram serving sort of thing.

Yes but even the "suggested size" is unhealthy for most of the general public, who the NHS website and the RDA is aimed at.

I doubt many people will cut this up to 40 pieces. Even if they do some …I doubt many people will cut this up to 40 pieces. Even if they do some are likely to have a second serving when they see how small each slice is.

And that's why we have an obesity crisis in the UK and why the NHS is under pressure

Although if you were doing something like walking across the Artic or …Although if you were doing something like walking across the Artic or working outside in Siberia then the calories and content will be useful. As for RDA everyone has an individual RDA to be their own healthy self. I'm fed up with the blanket statements from the NHS regarding fat, salt, sugar and carbs, protein and fat intakes. It isn't a fit all people thing.

Again, those people are in the minority. The RDA and the NHS "blanket statements" you're fed up of apply to most of the general public and we as a country would be a lot healthier overall if we all stuck by them. Those who need more know who they are. implying to the general public that it's "ok" to have a 169g slice is wholly irresponsible.
MadeDixonsCry04/11/2019 15:53

My response applies to thisYes but even the "suggested size" is unhealthy …My response applies to thisYes but even the "suggested size" is unhealthy for most of the general public, who the NHS website and the RDA is aimed at.And that's why we have an obesity crisis in the UK and why the NHS is under pressure Again, those people are in the minority. The RDA and the NHS "blanket statements" you're fed up of apply to most of the general public and we as a country would be a lot healthier overall if we all stuck by them. Those who need more know who they are. implying to the general public that it's "ok" to have a 169g slice is wholly irresponsible.

I bet even if everyone stuck 100% to RDA and NHS guidelines like you seem to imply are good, then there will still be overweight and unhealthy individuals because it isn't just about calories in and exercise. Hormone imbalances, illnesses, diseases and mediation can all interfere with each and every person and cause weight gain and other health issues. For example, lots of people with hypothyroidism who eat extremely healthily and the so called right amount or less in lots of cases, exercise a lot and take the right amounts of doctor recommended and prescribed medication, are still overweight and unwell because the NHS medical recommendations don't fit and work for everyone with the condition because we are all different and well, individuals.
thetarget04/11/2019 17:06

I bet even if everyone stuck 100% to RDA and NHS guidelines like you seem …I bet even if everyone stuck 100% to RDA and NHS guidelines like you seem to imply are good, then there will still be overweight and unhealthy individuals because it isn't just about calories in and exercise. Hormone imbalances, illnesses, diseases and mediation can all interfere with each and every person and cause weight gain and other health issues. For example, lots of people with hypothyroidism who eat extremely healthily and the so called right amount or less in lots of cases, exercise a lot and take the right amounts of doctor recommended and prescribed medication, are still overweight and unwell because the NHS medical recommendations don't fit and work for everyone with the condition because we are all different and well, individuals.

Sticking to the subject, do you think the general public (not a minority of individuals) would be better for everyone in the UK to eat a 169g slice of this cake, or to stick the the RDA and NHS guidelines?
MadeDixonsCry04/11/2019 17:21

Sticking to the subject, do you think the general public (not a minority …Sticking to the subject, do you think the general public (not a minority of individuals) would be better for everyone in the UK to eat a 169g slice of this cake, or to stick the the RDA and NHS guidelines?

I was sticking to the subject because a large percentage of people do have a thyroid hormone condition. Many being undiagnosed as the blood tests are flawed.

To answer your question. Depends what else they are consuming in their day to day life; what their state of mental health is like and what they get up to . A bigger 169g slice may cheer them up for a bit (although their will be a sugar crash later); whether they are just going to have the one 169g slice or want 2 or more; if having a slice is being shared with family or friendship or work colleagues social time which can all improve self esteem and worth leading to also to happiness which can bring about its own health benefits. If this was going to be a daily or multiple times per day event of eating a slice of the cake that could possibly be different. It may give them some energy to then go and play some sport or do a more physical activity. There is a study, forget the name of the person and paper title, but they only ate something like chocolate or cakes or similar for a few weeks and they didn't gain weight or fat because they ate within the amount of calories their own body required from what I recall. I'd say most of the general public will be fine with eating a 169g slice of cake as long as they aren't allergic to it; it isn't going to cause instant harm to them from a specific health condition and it isn't going to result in the same outcome of 'a wafer thin mint':

(Does have minor swearing)

Edited by: "thetarget" 4th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants